Power Instinct edge connector: JAMMA? orly?

aclbandit

Another Striker
I just got my Power Instinct board in the mail today (this thing is HUGE, holy crap!), and wanted to play.

First thing I noticed: edge connector is labelled "JAMMA." Second thing: there's no key hole on pin 7, so it doesn't seem very "JAMMA" to me.

I removed the key from my JAMMA harness and plugged it in anyway, and it didn't do anything, but the BOARD (not my speakers) made a buzzing sound, so I powered off the machine as fast as I could. Hopefully that short time didn't hurt anything.

I read on someone's selling thread here that this board has NeoGeo pinout as opposed to regular JAMMA; KLOV says it's a "unique" pinout.

So, I have three different sources saying three different things about the pinout.

Help me make this thing work. I have a CPS-2 cab that has a standard JAMMA harness (sans audio pins), and a NeoGeo cab that also has standard JAMMA sans audio pins (it's one of the super-old one-slot cabs that has stereo audio from a different port on the board (i.e., NOT receiving its audio from the main JAMMA harness)).

If I need a Neo-to-JAMMA converter, one will actually be coming with the four-slot Neo board I'm picking up next week, so that won't be a problem if that's all it is.

Thanks, folks!

aclbandit

Another Striker
http://www.crazykong.com/pins/Powerinstinct.pin.txt ?

As for the weird buzzing / misconnect, I've done that with a board or two because one side of my cab's edge connector is broken and there's no key in it. I have yet to damage something because of it.

Okay, that's really odd. The diagram you linked shows it as basically straight-up JAMMA (WITH key), save for the addition of an audio ground pin just below the speaker pin (which doesn't necessarily exist, according to http://chrisevans3d.com/hardware/xbox/jamma_pinout.gif, and which my cab doesn't have either). Could it be as simple as adding an audio ground wire? Would that even matter if I don't have sound hooked to it?

aclbandit

Another Striker
Here's my edge connector, just to be totally clear about what I mean when I say it doesn't have a key:

0318002011.jpg

aclbandit

Another Striker
AHA! Tried cleaning the JAMMA edge connector like I do my NES cartridges, and I got it to boot. The buzzing also stopped.

Trouble is, while the foreground characters are fine, the background colors are all wrong, and I don't know why. Any tips?
Pics of weird color follow; you can click 'em for a higher-resolution view.

aclbandit

Another Striker
Entire board:

Upper right hand corner (same orientation as first pic):

Bottom right hand corner (again, same orientation):

Raised chip along left side:

Let me know what you folks think.

aclbandit

Another Striker
May have answered my own question.

http://www.crazykong.com/pcbs/P - S/PowerInstinct1A.pcb.html

looks EXACTLY like mine. The other revision of the Power Instinct board also doesn't have a key hole.

Unless someone has a good reason for otherwise, I'll claim "NO BOOT" on this one.

EDIT: however, I still need to make it work right. Based on the board's curvature, seems they packed it a little TOO tight and it's bent a little bit. I'll leave it to flatten out, and probably try to reflow solder points that relate to color and graphics (assuming I can find those specifically. If not, I'll just melt 'em all).

Any other suggestions besides?

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Reseat all sub pcbs and socketed chips. And I dont mean push them in I mean take them out and reseat them.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Huh, the atlus chips suggest otherwise.

Does it have any atlus screen printed on the PCB?

My pcb has a key connector.

aclbandit

Another Striker
Reseat all sub pcbs and socketed chips. And I dont mean push them in I mean take them out and reseat them.

Thanks for the suggestion, XX. As "no shit" as it might sound, I hadn't actually tried that.

Sadly, the status is still the same. There's not a single socketed chip on the thing as far as I can tell, but I did remove and reseat both subPCBs. I powered on, but there's no change.

EDIT: well, there IS that thing in the middle that looks socketed, but to my (untrained) eyes, it looks like the processor, so I shan't mess with it unless it's necessary and I have instruction.

aclbandit

Another Striker
Huh, the atlus chips suggest otherwise.

Does it have any atlus screen printed on the PCB?

My pcb has a key connector.

See the second pic -- it says (ATLUS) POWER INSTINCT, so if that answers your question...?

Also, the key "connector" is the weird thing -- all the JAMMA boards I have so far have a "hole" there, not a pin connector. But, based on the CrazyKong board pics, both the ones they have up there don't have the "hole", but rather the "connector pin that doesn't do anything apparently."

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
See the second pic -- it says (ATLUS) POWER INSTINCT, so if that answers your question...?

Also, the key "connector" is the weird thing -- all the JAMMA boards I have so far have a "hole" there, not a pin connector. But, based on the CrazyKong board pics, both the ones they have up there don't have the "hole", but rather the "connector pin that doesn't do anything apparently."

I don't think the second pic was up when I made the post.

It is very interesting, and looks like it was at least official. But outside of the label markings, it has all the traits of a boot. No Jamma Key, stacked daugherboards, large footprint.

Perhaps Atlus farmed some of the work out to an operation that made boots?

Very interesting.

aclbandit

Another Striker
I don't think the second pic was up when I made the post.

It is very interesting, and looks like it was at least official. But outside of the label markings, it has all the traits of a boot. No Jamma Key, stacked daugherboards, large footprint.

Perhaps Atlus farmed some of the work out to an operation that made boots?

Very interesting.

You definitely have a point. Based on the only two images of the board I've found, though, it's legit (albeit weird).

I'll be redoing solder joints tomorrow-ish, maybe tonight. Hopefully I can fix it, but the seller on eBay was quite amicable and said he'd take it back if I can't get it going.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
how much did you pay?

Seems like every time I sell mine, i miss it. Then I go on ebay and boards are like $50/ea.

aclbandit

Another Striker
Got it for something like $35 shipped. Not too bad, then, I guess?

Or, at least, wouldn't have been a bad price if I'd been able to make it work.

Reflowed a number of the solder joints, but seems like it works even less now. I've sent a message to the seller requesting a partial refund (since the price for shipping both ways is about the same as the board, and with a partial refund the seller still makes a little money and I'm not out as much).

If all that goes well, the board is free to anyone who wants it, just pay shipping. It'll be 'AS-IS' since it's totally busted.

I'll let you know.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Your board is a little weird with the pinout. Jamma 10 is connected to ground for some strange reason when it should be speaker +.

aclbandit

Another Striker
Your board is a little weird with the pinout. Jamma 10 is connected to ground for some strange reason when it should be speaker +.

Don't think that would make the board do what it was doing, though -- working fine except for background color problems.

Also, it doesn't even work that much anymore. I have no idea. The seller refunded my money, though, so no loss I suppose.

Free to anyone who wants it. It's broken, I don't want it, I'm a student and I don't have the time to try and mess with it. Just pay shipping and it's yours.