Post Your Recent Purchases!

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
The 7800 hundred will play 7800 and 2600 games. The 5200 only plays its games.

I know its different cartridges, but is the 5200 a better console? (better graphics, etc..) Whats the advantage of it over the 2600 or 7800 is what Im after.

Last edited:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Most of the computer games have been ported to the 5200 so it's library is bigger.

Other than that, Atari consoles didn't make huge leaps between releases.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
The 7800 hundred will play 7800 and 2600 games. The 5200 only plays its games.

Yeah, I know you're talking with regard to 2600 compatibility right out the box, but with an adaptor the 5200 is backwards compatible as well.

YnYdrjY.png

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Yeah, I know you're talking with regard to 2600 compatibility right out the box, but with an adaptor the 5200 is backwards compatible as well.

YnYdrjY.png

Well now. Look at that!

Honostly, with out extra hardware almost all of the games have been ported between the 3 consoles, plus out of the box backwards compatibility i feel makes the 7800 a better system. The 5200 was flawed from the get go.

Graphical wise; no difference honostly.

Last edited:

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
Thanks for the answers guys. I always wondered, now I know!

I'm a long time 7800 fan but never have played a 5200... The 5200 controllers always had me wondering

Yamazaki

Baseball Star Hitter
15 Year Member
no pictures but what I got so far this month:

Crosswed Swords AES
Raguy AES
Gowcaizer AES
Realbout AES
Sapphire PC Engine
Elevator Action Return SS
Nekketsu Oyako SS
X-Men Children of the Atom SS (wow! I suck hard at this game - how did I manage to get to Magneto when I was 16??)

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
From my understanding 5200 games are basically the same as the 8-bit Atari computers. Just didn't have a keyboard and made you use those crappy joysticks.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Yeah there have been a bunch of conversions of 8-bit games to the 5200. The 5200 had superior sound, I believe the 7800 had the same sound chip as the 2600. Either pick up 2 of the Best rebuilt controllers or order the kits to do it yourself, it's not that hard. I've had zero problems with my 5200 sticks and have like 6 controllers worth of spares for rebuilding. There are also some convertors to use standard digital pads on the 5200 that come with their own keypads. Even with working joysticks they still don't auto center which can be a huge PITA if you've played pretty much any other video game system ever made. Still worth picking up for retro fans. Qix and Robotron are must haves, there's a pretty decent version of Pole Position and in that one the non-centering stick is kind of a plus.

NEO G-TRON

Marked Wolf
Finally scored on a little something I had been chasing for some time now. A US Pioneer LaserActive player fully overhauled with a new band on the player, realigned, two PAC's, the Genesis and PC Engine one. Both are fully re capped. Got a few games for it and I'm ready to enjoy it to the fullest! Got some other amazing pieces of hardware but will wait to share those until they are fully setup and ready for action!

]

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Yeah there have been a bunch of conversions of 8-bit games to the 5200. The 5200 had superior sound, I believe the 7800 had the same sound chip as the 2600. Either pick up 2 of the Best rebuilt controllers or order the kits to do it yourself, it's not that hard. I've had zero problems with my 5200 sticks and have like 6 controllers worth of spares for rebuilding. There are also some convertors to use standard digital pads on the 5200 that come with their own keypads. Even with working joysticks they still don't auto center which can be a huge PITA if you've played pretty much any other video game system ever made. Still worth picking up for retro fans. Qix and Robotron are must haves, there's a pretty decent version of Pole Position and in that one the non-centering stick is kind of a plus.

The 5200 is pretty swank with its POKEY chip, handles both sound and controller/keyboard interfacing. The 7800 itself only has the 2600's TIA chip for sound, but a few games like Commando and Ball Blazer include a POKEY chip in the cartridge.

I had a 5200 with stock controllers for a time, they worked fine for me, in fact they are my favorite 1st party Atari console controller. Good joystick, nice buttons and a chunky solid feel. The 2600 CX-40 sticks and the 7800 "proline" controllers are absolute horseshit by comparison. To this day, I fail to understand why people like the CX-40, its stick is so stiff and unresponsive and it's not really comfortable to hold.

Finally scored on a little something I had been chasing for some time now. A US Pioneer LaserActive player fully overhauled with a new band on the player, realigned, two PAC's, the Genesis and PC Engine one. Both are fully re capped. Got a few games for it and I'm ready to enjoy it to the fullest! Got some other amazing pieces of hardware but will wait to share those until they are fully setup and ready for action!

damm-ice-cube-chris-tucker-friday-film.gif

daithidownunder

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

]

Man that's real nice, never seen one of these!

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I had a 5200 with stock controllers for a time, they worked fine for me, in fact they are my favorite 1st party Atari console controller. Good joystick, nice buttons and a chunky solid feel. The 2600 CX-40 sticks and the 7800 "proline" controllers are absolute horseshit by comparison. To this day, I fail to understand why people like the CX-40, its stick is so stiff and unresponsive and it's not really comfortable to hold.
I don't mind the CX40 at all, but yea, the pro line 7800 controllers are total nonsense. One of Atari's many major mistakes along the way. I have a bunch of the Euro NES style controllers that are a bit small, but much better.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

]

Some rare stuff you got there. Congrats man

I remember a few years ago trying to hunt down a Road Avenger LD and they wanted stupid money for it.

And that Pce pak is getting harder to find as well.

Last edited:

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer

]

Didn't have the how ever many dollars it would cost for a copy of Time Gal huh?

NEO G-TRON

Marked Wolf
Some rare stuff you got there. Congrats man

I remember a few years ago trying to hunt down a Road Avenger LD and they wanted stupid money for it.

And that Pce pak is getting harder to find as well.

Thanks bro! Pretty happy with my score! I was definitely most excited over the fact the PCE PAC was the first item included in the deal is made. A really fun all in one unit to have for sure!

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Some new thrift store finds. They were all in extremely nice shape. I already had Mega Man X but I had never seen an assembled in Mexico version. Gotta love the shittier plastic without the sticker on the back and the non glossy label.

20170327_201756.jpg20170328_020537.jpg20170328_020616.jpg

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Got this from twalden last week, always wanted this one and I've never seen it come up for sale- Batsugun!

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Lol Baby steps for me brother, one day at a time! Already got a decently priced lead on one.

Absolute Madman. I don't even think I've ever even seen one of those go for auction. Also, doesn't the laseractive have something like 100 Capacitors inside it? I've never owned one, but someone I had recap my sEGA Genesis offhandedly mentioned they're a royal pain to re-cap & that always stuck out to me.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Absolute Madman. I don't even think I've ever even seen one of those go for auction. Also, doesn't the laseractive have something like 100 Capacitors inside it? I've never owned one, but someone I had recap my sEGA Genesis offhandedly mentioned they're a royal pain to re-cap & that always stuck out to me.

I saw one go for auction years ago and before it ended it was over 1K. That's when I knew I was not going to own a laseractive.