Post your keyboard controllers, synths, drum machines, etc!

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I have a 128gb CF card in mine Jjos. I use it in conjunction with ableton lite

Nice, CF is a good idea. I used a toshiba hdd when I had it. I may get another some day, but I mainly used it for chopping, 16 levels, and sequencing, all of which I can do in renoise. But I do miss having a PC free sequencer like that.

Grabbed the "sound librarian" for my minilogue and added their UK kit on top of the stock sounds. Looking forward to seeing what it has in store in the bonus 'instrument' packs.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Are you guys familiar with the MPC 2000? I think that one had a Zip drive. That's the gold standard of MPCs, right? Anything to know before taking the dive?

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
Are you guys familiar with the MPC 2000? I think that one had a Zip drive. That's the gold standard of MPCs, right? Anything to know before taking the dive?

I have a blue 2000xl that was a zip drive and I changed it over to CF card. it was my first mpc. Hopefully my buddy is gonna buy it soon. hes been having me hold it but its getting old.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I have a blue 2000xl that was a zip drive and I changed it over to CF card. it was my first mpc. Hopefully my buddy is gonna buy it soon. hes been having me hold it but its getting old.

Dang. LMK if it falls through! I’d like to use the Zip drive but I don’t have a compatible machine anymore.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Studio v 3.1

img_20180827_131555.jpg

20180827_131401.jpg

Waiting on a volca sample, for vocal and sample chops, and also a TC Sub N Up [to replace the crappy Mooer "pure octave"].

General overview

Yamaha PSR 520 keyboard; really good piano synth. GM. Has a roland SC-55 which can pass it thru, mute and replace with GM instrument(s), or accompany. If you layer the yamaha and roland grand piano it sounds stupid good. The pedals on this guy are the 3rd dimension chorus, MXR analog delay (love this fucker), and ditto looper (also love that fucker lol).

Volca beats; lock stock + barrel distortion, Hall of fame 2 reverb. Split wet/dry to the 2 channel mixer for ultimate thicc beats.

Volca FM with mooer octaver (soon to be TC SUB n UP), Grand Magus Distortion and Quick Draw Delay. Pure 80's sounds with grungy fx. Ipad above the yamaha keyboard has bluetooth midi control of the volca FM.

Minilogue, my baby... 2 VCO 4 voice synth. Has a SC-55 accompanying it on audio in, and a laptop for minilogue edit GUI. Here is my post from the korg forums explaining how audio in should really be used;

I use my Minilogue audio in with a Roland sound canvas SC-55. The Minilogue midi out goes to the SC-55 midi module, and the midi module audio out goes back to the minilogue audio in. If you use clean GM instruments such as a saw wave or string, and make sure chorus and reverb are off, you can effectively make the midi module almost like a 3rd VCO. The trick of turning down the 2 VCOs on the minilogue all the way is very useful to see the wave you're sending from the SC-55 on the Minilogues built in oscilloscope. It can give a nice 3 octave option too, since the GM module will stay in the octave that corresponds to the second from the top (of the four octaves on the minilogue VCOs). Alternately this lets you get a thicker 1 or 2 octave sound as well.

Added bonus, if you save your minilogue patches to the slot number which corresponds to the midi instrument number in the GM standard you wish to accompany it, rolling through programs in the minilogue brings the SC55 programs along with it (up to 100 slots). Else, if you set the minilogue program 1st, you can change the midi module to whatever wave or instrument you want to accompany the minilogue VCOs.

You can set up 16 instruments on the midi module, making midi channel select on the minilogue an option for having multiple instruments ready for supplimenting your minilogue VCOs on the fly.

Also you can assign multiple instruments to midi in 1 on the midi module, so you can feed a layer of vocals, keys, and strings for example all to the minilogue in as the 3rd voice source. Doing so divides the polyphony of the SC-55 but you won't go under the 4 note poly of the minilogue unless you assign more than 6 instruments, as the sc55 has 24 voices.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Bump

So I think I mentioned this elsewhere, but as my eldest started participating in band a few years ago we started getting pulled into more and more music stuff.

To dab our toes into the synth world I got a blipbox and that was/is a huge hit, a lot of fun. So finally decided to pull the trigger and got one of those Moog Sound Studio set ups today with the mother 32, dfam and subharmonicon synths. Have no idea what I am doing but lot of fun twisting the knobs, flicking switches and plugging cables. Kids went bonkers over it. Within a few minutes we were able to get a pretty cool beat going on with lots of blips and bloops and then patch the modules together to keep them all in sync.

My intention was to keep it on top of the electric piano, but it's much bigger than I had thought. Gonna need to get a separate table for it. :oops:

I think next I'd like to get some kind of oscilloscope, and thinking about the Korg nts-2. Would be neat to visualize the sound waves or whatever.

Spoiler:

85C60689-2130-4D8B-8EB3-C513DFCEA4BB.jpeg

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
All guitar players aspire to be synthesists :keke:

Moog Sound Studio? Damn you’re a cool dad :emb:

You have a reverb? Definitely get a reverb.

The DFAM and Mother 32 are a great pairing.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Shit I forgot it had the Subharmonicon too. Ballin, son.

Modular synthesis is a lot of fun.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
All guitar players aspire to be synthesists :keke:

Moog Sound Studio? Damn you’re a cool dad :emb:

You have a reverb? Definitely get a reverb.

The DFAM and Mother 32 are a great pairing.

No reverb, but I do have a bunch of other guitar pedals I'd like to experiment on this with.

Down the road might be fun to get a Grandmother as well which has reverb in it, so that could be cool. Maybe if I sell a guitar or two... :kekeke:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
A reverb pedal would work fine.

Or any of the myriad of Eurorack reverbs but that’s probably a rabbit hole you don’t need to go down…yet :emb:

neo_mao

15 Year Member
For the past several weeks been obsessed with watching videos on youtube on this stuff. But yeah the fully modular eurorack stuff was way way over my head.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah best thing to do is mess around look stuff up when you have a question. It’s definitely a different way of thinking.

Even though your setup is essentially “pre-wired” you can still do some crazy stuff via the patch bays.

I am mostly a music hobbyist.

On the modular side I have a Eurorack setup. On the more traditional synth side I have the Elektron trinity: Octatrack, Analog 4, Analog Rytm. Those three boxes pretty much killed any serious desire to get other non modular synths. Only thing I’m missing is more polyphony and some effects (really I just want a shimmer reverb.)

I do keep two Commodore 64s around as synths to run Messiah and Cynthcart (and other weird shit). I have some other misc music related gear but nothing really of note, except maybe the SOMA Pipe lol.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I'm definitely going to be picking brains in this thread as I'm currently just pressing buttons and making sounds.

Would like to get my td3 and tr-08 linked together eventually and make some noises

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Life was chaotic in 2018 for me, ended up moving out of that place shortly there after.

I should take some new pictures here at some point. My favorite addition is definitely the Aria TR-8 Rhythm Performer. Super fun drum machine, and you can send certain drums thru outboard fx if you want, or (what I do), side chain another instrument or two through the drum machine.

My TD3 is on my MIDI chain but only for timing sync, I haven't figured out how to program it well aside from built in or using the windows app (which is actually decent). It would be cool if I could get my Polyend Tracker or something else 'driving' it.

Edit: seeing that old setup reminded me of the video I made from that Minilogue + Sound Canvas rig. I care 0% about followers on youtube and somehow it has like 11K views.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
So I managed to pretty faitfully recreate this patch. Yes it is laid our step bty step, but still kind of challenging given all the steps to get there

I still don't know what I am doing tho :oops: