• CVMS

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • Neo Geo CD

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Which is the best way of playing Neo Geo games? Or do they all have their advantages and disadvantages, in comparison to each other? Or do you prefer having more than one of the systems listed?

Last edited:

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
MVS until insertion marks are a thing there too ;)

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I suppose if you're trying to get a 1cc or high score, a cab would be best, as you play your best game when you're standing up. Don't know why that is, maybe it's because you can get your whole body into it. Or your arms are freer in doing the joystick/button movements. Oops, I forgot to put "cab" in the list of options.

tcdev

NEST Puppet
I don't have a strict preference - it's dependant on the game and the mood I'm in.

AES is preferable for a casual blast; I can quickly pull out the console and sit on the floor/couch and still use a decent controller (the stick of course). For this purpose, although I don't own either one, I don't see a CMVS or Supergun any different what-so-ever.

MVS is preferable for a serious attempt at a high score, or a competitive one-on-one in a bar, arcade or games room set-up. As Joe8 said, you can get into it more and it's a more authentic arcade experience.

As far as collecting goes, I'm most interested in the AES. The main reason I have an NGCD is to burn games to play on real hardware, most importantly homebrew stuff I'm working on.

@Joe8 - you also forgot NeoGeo-X! :D

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I don't have a strict preference - it's dependant on the game and the mood I'm in.

AES is preferable for a casual blast; I can quickly pull out the console and sit on the floor/couch and still use a decent controller (the stick of course). For this purpose, although I don't own either one, I don't see a CMVS or Supergun any different what-so-ever.

MVS is preferable for a serious attempt at a high score, or a competitive one-on-one in a bar, arcade or games room set-up. As Joe8 said, you can get into it more and it's a more authentic arcade experience.

As far as collecting goes, I'm most interested in the AES. The main reason I have an NGCD is to burn games to play on real hardware, most importantly homebrew stuff I'm working on.

@Joe8 - you also forgot NeoGeo-X! :D
The Neo Geo X is not actually made by SNK. Although it is licensed by them.

tcdev

NEST Puppet
The Neo Geo X is not actually made by SNK. Although it is licensed by them.

I guess I wasn't aware that you were limiting our choice to strictly SNK hardware. But then I should have picked up the fact that you omitted emulation.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
I have an AES, an Ωmega and a Sigma Raijin. I plan to add an Arcadeforge supergun too due to the low cost and high quality.
I need all three for the maximum compatibility. Hate all kind of CD players on consoles though and there is no space for a cab

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I prefer to play upside down, hanging from the ceiling like a bat. I can move more freely and have more blood in my brain.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I have an MVS 1 slot cabinet w/UNIBIOS and a Neo Geo CD Toploader. Always wanted an AES but to me it's just too expensive of a system to collect and play for. And I already have most of the games I want on MVS or CD.

I've always loved arcade games, and I always wanted my own cabinets. So for me the MVS is the best way to go about it.

(But I'm weak willed in the long run when it comes to game systems; I'll probably break down and buy an AES eventually)

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I prefer to play upside down, hanging from the ceiling like a bat. I can move more freely and have more blood in my brain.

Brother I've totally misjudged thee.:buttrock:

tomlee80

Kabuki Klasher
Home System/AES Gets my vote. I live three storeys up in a 2 bedroom flat. The 14" PVM was enough to carry upstairs. MVS cabs are all good and well if you have the room for a personal arcade. CMVS is cool but sometimes I want to pay a bit more for an AES cart with manual and funky box art.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
MVS inside a cab all the way. Close second is CMVS, because it allows you to play your MVS carts in a portable manner on tv sets.

Now if only there was a mass produced handheld that played MVS carts like the ones they make for SNES. Would be sweet.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Cab, man. It's how I used to play the neo in the arcades.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Home System or CMVS imo. Due to the selection of controller options available and portability. Pius, games are cheaper on CMVS.

After that, if they exist: sit down Neo Cab. I wouldn't have a stand up one outside of running my own arcade...

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
Cab: i love playing games on my Super Neo 29. The 29 inch screen is a bit big to play the games competitively but i love it none the less. In games like Blazing Star you get really 'sucked' into it because of the large screen. Big sprites on a big screen, that is how Neo Geo is meant to be played.

Last edited: