Pochi and Nyaa insert - Done (3 options)!!! Onto the next project...

Nick Goracke

I'm still around!?,
I'm done.

Unless something looks terrible after it's printed. ;)

I've got 3 options available:

Clean cover
http://www.geocities.com/nickgoracke/pochinomegnickgoracke.jpg

Meg Count and Neo-Geo logo, sized to compliment the image
http://www.geocities.com/nickgoracke/pochifinal.jpg

Cropped Legacy design
http://www.geocities.com/nickgoracke/pochibordered.jpg

Each file is roughly 36 megs in bmp format. Resolution is... high.

Translation is already well on the way for a Pochi and Nyaa manual - if class projects go OK, you might see something as early as next week!

Thankyou everybody for the input and kind words. Hopefully everyone is satisfied... and modifications for a JP style spine would only take a short while if someone really wants one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, I *think* this is it...

http://www.geocities.com/nickgoracke/pochifinal.jpg

File size is 36 megs (bmp). Tiptonium (and anyone else who runs a Shock-Box insert site), please feel free to contact me via AIM if you can host the file.

I guess the true test is having someone print it out to make sure everything looks OK. Then we'll have a true "final" draft. ;)

Anyways, my next project is a Pochi and Nyaa manual. Gonna translate that whole Aiky website. Depending on where "real life" takes me, it may be a week or two before I have a draft ready, but...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Draft

http://www.geocities.com/nickgoracke/pochisample3.jpg

Made the spine consistent with the rest, added meg count and company logo, flipped spine logo, changed coloring on "Neo Geo" in the front.

Thoughts....

I'd like to thicken the meg count font, possibly move the "cooking" image down a bit and expand the text/screenshots above it (less wasted space, more visibility), and... and what?

Not sure if I like the "red" Neo Geo. Better ideas? Maybe just a black outline around white letters?

How about the red striping in general - is there a "proper" color to use for a puzzle game?

I think I might do a JP style insert too... (remove the stripes and meg count and add a screenshot and genre identification on the spine). We'll see.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure how long this will stay "up" before reaching the bandwidth limit.

There's some "free space" on the back still... I'd like to fill it with something, but I don't want it to be crouded. If you've got some nice Pochi images, send 'em my way!

I'm also a bit worried about the text on the back - obviously it's unreadable at this sample resolution, but I wonder how it will look when it's printed out....

Also, anyone got the meg count and the proper meg-count font?

http://www.geocities.com/nickgoracke/pochisample2.jpg

Input appreciated.

Last edited:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
We're sorry, but this page is currently unavailable for viewing.
If this site belongs to you, please read this help page for more information and assistance.

For general questions see our main help area, or search for other member pages.

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
chris1 said:
We're sorry, but this page is currently unavailable for viewing.
If this site belongs to you, please read this help page for more information and assistance.

For general questions see our main help area, or search for other member pages.

Copy and paste.

I like it a lot, Nick. The only thing that sticks out like a sore thumb is the spine, though. Not the logo, but rather the grey background. Sure, it's the U.S. homecart look, but it just doesn't go with the rest of the insert. It's like running through a field of fresh, green grass in the springtime, then slipping and falling on a pile of cow dung.

EDIT: By the way, I take it you meant to go with the "PLAY RANKIG ONLINE" spelling for the back?

Freelancer

Banned
I really like the design, but as Biomotor stated the spine's color is the only real sticking point.

Good start though! Seems like you took the best elements from the various kit flyers and combined them into an appealing format.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Looks great. But the US parts of the insert are both too standoutist and out of place (MD2 and 3 didn't get US releases - why would this?) so I'd give it a spine like the SSIII one, pink japanese pattern.

Riipps

World Soccer '96
Is the logo on the spine facing the wrong way? I'm sure the games name logo always faces to the left? Shoot me down if i'm wrong!
It looks great thou! wish i owned this cart :crying:

td741

, NOTE: Please add 16 points to his feedback., --
Ooo...

I might just need to start getting shockboxes. ;)

I think the Neo-Geo in the front panel needs a little more constrast to the background. (Maybe it's more obvious in full-size though.)

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
That's very eye pleasing..What is the resolution???

COme on down to the Creativity forum...I am removing some background from this Street Hoop image I am working on now..should be done later this evening..
-BB

Nick Goracke

I'm still around!?,
BIG BEAR said:
That's very eye pleasing..What is the resolution???

I don't know how to answer that question. ;)

I'm using one of the templates from neogeoforlife (pretty high rez - I think it was Andy's?), and scans ranged from 200dpi to 600dpi. I could rescan - do you think it might be too low?

Thanks for the input, all!

"Play Rankig Online" is the way it appeared on the material I had. Heh... Might change it... might stick with the engrish.

The Neo Geo on the front does need to be changed in color - no doubt. Just kinda added that at 3 in the morning last night, posted it, studied for my Japanese oral interview, and went to bed.

I will absolutely be changing the spine. Is the "dog/cat paw" patter good, or would it just be too much to have it on the front, back, and spine?

Charlie - when you say the english parts stick out too much, do you mean the meg counts and stripes too? I suppose I could make 2 inserts... wouldn't be too much more work.

Also, is the back "full" enough? There's a little open space - not sure if I should fill it or leave it.

Nick Goracke

I'm still around!?,
Riipps said:
Is the logo on the spine facing the wrong way? I'm sure the games name logo always faces to the left? Shoot me down if i'm wrong!
It looks great thou! wish i owned this cart :crying:

Heh... yep, you're right! I've made a bunch of shock-box-spines as placeholders for inserts (so they look nice on my shelf), and they're all "backwards" too! Guess this way just looks "right" to me.

I dunno guys - does it matter? Would it be better flipped?

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Tops man.

A few suggestions:

- Make the spine white. if you are going to go with the grey euro layout you have to go all the way and follow through and aply the boarders to the front.

- Loose those tiny screenshots at the top. thay are far too tiny and clutter up the back too much.

- the euro neo logo on the bottom front (next to the genre stripes) black as it is blending in with the artwork.

Other wise, great art man. it really captures the feal of the game.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
BioMotor_Unitron said:
Copy and paste.

I like it a lot, Nick. The only thing that sticks out like a sore thumb is the spine, though. Not the logo, but rather the grey background. Sure, it's the U.S. homecart look, but it just doesn't go with the rest of the insert. It's like running through a field of fresh, green grass in the springtime, then slipping and falling on a pile of cow dung.

EDIT: By the way, I take it you meant to go with the "PLAY RANKIG ONLINE" spelling for the back?

Oh yea..I forgot about that..

Thanks..BioMotor_Unitron

Here it is hosted..

http://img7.photobucket.com/albums/v21/Chris1/pochisample2.jpg

Very Nice I like it...

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
The spine title graphic should be flipped. I like the design. I'd be happy to host the final version.

Nick Goracke

I'm still around!?,
Tiptonium said:
The spine title graphic should be flipped. I like the design. I'd be happy to host the final version.

I will be finishing things up on Wednesday/Thursday when I'm done with homework/midterms. Will let you know then!

Nick Goracke

I'm still around!?,
Took the suggestions from this thread into account for the 2nd draft. Sorry for the bump.

BlackSpy

Tsrgoihrea,
20 Year Member
Very nice, deffo an improvement on the first draft.

It's kind of a shame that the little Pochi is half covered by the Neo logo on the front though.

I think we've been sold a dummy though, why does the final name call it '3', eh? Is there an unrealeased second draft lurking in the archives? Will our intrepid Neo hounds be seeking it out for years to come?

Nick Goracke

I'm still around!?,
BlackSpy said:
Very nice, deffo an improvement on the first draft.

It's kind of a shame that the little Pochi is half covered by the Neo logo on the front though.

I think we've been sold a dummy though, why does the final name call it '3', eh? Is there an unrealeased second draft lurking in the archives? Will our intrepid Neo hounds be seeking it out for years to come?

It's a rare proto insert that will be hoarded for years. Billy Pitt has already started hounding me for simple pics of the insert in a shockbox next to today's paper, but I refused because I'm busy. In a couple of years I plan on selling it to an unknown buyer for an undisclosed amount with no proof of ownership or a transaction ever being made... except for my loyal fanbase of collectors you've never heard of and will never hear from who all own it.

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
Nick Goracke said:
It's a rare proto insert that will be hoarded for years. Billy Pitt has already started hounding me for simple pics of the insert in a shockbox next to today's paper, but I refused because I'm busy. In a couple of years I plan on selling it to an unknown buyer for an undisclosed amount with no proof of ownership or a transaction ever being made... except for my loyal fanbase of collectors you've never heard of and will never hear from who all own it.

Hahahaha! Preach On!

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I really like the final version, even though I don't use shockboxes.

Now I command you to do some work on mini marquees ;)

Nick Goracke

I'm still around!?,
lithy said:

Now I command you to do some work on mini marquees ;)

Sorry, working on the manual next. ;)

Gonna basically translate the whole freakin' Aiky website. Lots of fun! Anyone have a good manual template?

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
That insert is friggin' sick but as someone stated earlier you should resize the group shot so that pochi & nya are not covered by any of the template.
Even if you keep it just like it is now,it's still quite lovely.
-BB