Playstation Portable Consoles - Best model / best emulation / best games

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Wataru recommended to pull some of my questions I had as follow up in the open - so here we go:

1. What do you guys consider the best PSP hardware revision?

2. Which version is best for arcade (MAME) emulation (web search nets results from "everything is awesome" up to "NeoGeo and CPS1 runs like crap")

3. What are your favorite games?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
1. The 2000 and 3000 both have their advantages. Just don't get the 1000 (half the RAM, bigger) or the PSP Go (no UMD drive. horrible ergonomics, fragile).

The 2000 and 3000 support composite/s-video/component output, so you can play them on a TV if you want.

2. I never bothered to put ROMz on mine so i dunno

3. Some of my favorite PSP games:
Crush
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
Twisted Metal: Head On
Wipeout Pure
Wipeout Pulse
Patapon
LocoRoco
Lumines
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
Mega Man Powered Up
Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X
Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX
Power Stone Collection
Phantasy Star Portable
Motor Storm Arctic Edge
Sonic Rivals
Metal Slug XX

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
In the Go's defense, you can use a PS3 controller for better controls.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
In the Go's defense, you can use a PS3 controller for better controls.

This is true.

It just sucks ass in every other conceivable way.

I wish you could use a PS3 controller on the 2000/3000.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Meh, sux is subjective. The footprint, fit and finish, battery and screen on the GO are great.

I’m not playing 80hr long rpgs on it.

I credit fed Captain Commando over coffee last time I was waiting through a swim practice, and never caught a cramp.

Ymmv.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Even tho the 1000 has the worst screen and half the RAM, it’s still the most comfortable for me to use. Plus it just feels like a solid quality product. Not saying the other models aren’t, but the 1000 has a premium feel the thinner models don’t have.

I also really like the Monster Hunter 3000 Japan model. It has extra grips to the back, the analog nub is inverted, and the surface is rubberized. One of the nicest PSP’s I’ve used.

If you’re able to find a GO dock for an affordable price, this used to be the best way to play PSP on your TV with a PS3 controller. But at this point it’s probably just a better idea to get a Vita TV. :D

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'd personally go for a hacked Vita, you can play everything on the one handheld with a much better and bigger screen.

tangemo

New Challenger
Wataru recommended to pull some of my questions I had as follow up in the open - so here we go:

1. What do you guys consider the best PSP hardware revision?

2. Which version is best for arcade (MAME) emulation (web search nets results from "everything is awesome" up to "NeoGeo and CPS1 runs like crap")

3. What are your favorite games?

I have an old PSP 1000 (Fat) with very old custom firmware that I never updated and I recently got a PSP 3000 from Ebay with some of the last custom firmware. FWIW the old CFW doesn't run SNES and some arcade stuff very well. But the new CFW runs everything great, that could be part of the conflicting things you're seeing online.

The Go is cool but as previously stated, to do it right you'll end up spending a lot more on the official dock than the system or bundle/lot you go for.

I agree that the Vita is a better option if you're going to play on device, b/c by today's standards the PSP screen is pretty small. Especially if you plan to play these old games in cropped 4:3

I enjoy doing video out from the PSP but that analog nub is small! I wish that the 2000/3000 could use the PS3 controller like the Go.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I think i've got something like 6 or 7 psp I cant remember they're all over the place. After owning them all I'd say the 3000 hands down. People bitch about the interlace screened but its just so much brighter and cleaner its just way way better.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
So if I were to bite on the VITA, what would you consider a good price? Contrary to the PSP which flies all around at pretty low deals atm in my area, the VITA is mostly around EUR 100,- - 120,- which I don't consider that good of a deal when a new Switch will cost me 199 :)

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I noticed that Vita's sell better when you pick them up in a bundle.
The games and console sell for a lot more individually.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Thanks for all the input so far. As for bundles I unfortunately didn't see something that didn't intrigue me yet. Most of the stuff were lego games or spongebob squarepants or 4 yearly iterations of FIFA :)

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
As some others have said the PSP 1000 is awesome for comfort - this is my device of choice for emulation. I've got NJ's Neo Geo and CPS2 Emulators, the multi system [e]mulator (supports Gameboy, PCEngine, Wonderswan, Sega Master System, Sega Game Gear, and Nes), Pico Drive runs Genesis & Sega CD beautifully, and also there is SNES9X. SNES9X is not perfect though, with some more intensive games not running at full speed.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
I'm happy with my 1000 with NJ's CFW (comfortable)and my 2000 for regular UMD gaming.

The only thing I detested about all of the models is just how damn slow the wi-fi download speed was on all of them. I swear to God they were pitiful.

tangemo

New Challenger
Agreed about comfort. I have the same style grips for the PSP 1000 and 2000. 1000 is very very comfy this way, and the 2000 gets close after the grips add some bulk.

For Vita prices, unfortunately it's been gone from retail for a while so you missed any clearance/discount opportunities. Your best bet would be any local sourcing or trying to talk down a dealer at a convention/show or something like that.

Also, ppl haven't mentioned it yet: dat d-pad! PSP 1000 d-pad is not good for 2D fighting games, 2000 and 3000 are good tho.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
If you’re wanting it for portable mode. I would say psp-2k/3k. The go is good if you want ds3 support with 240p output on ps1 games. But that’s if you invest in that over inflated Sony dock or hacked cables. The vita is excellent if you don’t need the umd support. Likewise the vita tv is great for tv use for psp and vita games. full screen psp games out the gate. Downside for vita is expensive memory cards unless you mod, but seems like you’re going for that anyway.

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
If you're into tactics RPGs, Wild Arms XF is a must play. Fights get pretty crazy later on and the class system lets do some pretty convoluted moves.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I wouldn't really consider a psp very good for mame. It can play some older stuff ok. One thing that is fantastic on it is Neo CD. Since the CD doesn't require as much ram as the carts it's not a problem for the psp to handle.

Also, the 1000's dpad is dreadful. It's totally useless in many games, particularly arcadey stuff. The 3000s dpad is much better. I'd presume the 2000 is the same as the 3000 but I haven't personally used one.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Ok so looking at the prices on the secondary market atm it's hillarious - so I just picked up 2 PSPs for EUR 15,- a piece (a 1000 model and 2000 model) within a timespan of 3 days.
It seems when you find the sweet spot on console end of life span people will throw them after you (same is true for the PS2 atm)

I spent my evening with hacking the E1000 and it works like a charm - the tutorial I followed is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nROljBT2ETM
If you have to update to 6.61 beforehand (I had to from 6.2) you can just use the official firmware link that is given in the YouTubers other video (how to update to 6.61)

Next thing will be checking out how to get MAME on this and which adapter / sd-card combination I'll have to pickup to have some space (atm there's a 1 GB card in the PSP)

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I recently just put permanent firmware on my 3000 and Go. I had no idea permanent CFW was a thing for these models until someone mentioned it off hand. It sure is a breeze hacking these things now compared to yesteryear. Once the Vita is done and buried in all territories I’m sure we’ll get a final easy solution too.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I remember the E1000 being announced for Europe but nobody wanted it. Anyone here have thoughts on that model?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
The GO is my, no pun intended, go to PSP, especially for travel. Custom FW and you have a ton of great stuff to play on it.

I've been thinking about modding my Vita but haven't gotten around to it. I may grab a second one. While I am comfortable modding, I really want to leave my current Vita stock and fresh, as it's the OG OLED model

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Came around to flash the 2nd one now and so far I see myself agreeing to most of what was posted:
1004 - seems more solid and sturdy, has a worse D-pad though. Playing fighters or even the gradius collection seems hard on the first runs
2004 - lighter and has a cheaper "plastic" feel to it, has the better D-pad however.

In any way I fired up Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max and holy shit this is really impressive on a portable console. I can only imagine how awesome this game would be if the had made a PSP version that featured a stick like the NGPC one.
From what I read you can connect a PS3 controller to the PSP-Go then again this defeats the idea of a handheld a bit.

Edit: It seems there are some approaches for modding the d-pad yourself, is someone experienced and can give advice on the topic?

Last edited:

tangemo

New Challenger
Came around to flash the 2nd one now and so far I see myself agreeing to most of what was posted:
1004 - seems more solid and sturdy, has a worse D-pad though. Playing fighters or even the gradius collection seems hard on the first runs
2004 - lighter and has a cheaper "plastic" feel to it, has the better D-pad however.

In any way I fired up Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max and holy shit this is really impressive on a portable console. I can only imagine how awesome this game would be if the had made a PSP version that featured a stick like the NGPC one.
From what I read you can connect a PS3 controller to the PSP-Go then again this defeats the idea of a handheld a bit.

Edit: It seems there are some approaches for modding the d-pad yourself, is someone experienced and can give advice on the topic?

1000% yes. SFA 3 is an all time favorite game and PSP has the awesome reverse dramatic battle mode. Only the Saturn and PSP have this mode where you fight 2 CPU opponents at the same time. Priority number one is getting both of them on the same side of you haha.

I don't have any modding advice but I remember back in the day we tried opening the PSP 1000 and adding some tape to the underside of the D Pad to try and make it 'raised'. Obviously not a real mod and it didn't really help. I believe the change they made for the 2000 was a raised (or more raised) dpad and that's why it's so much better.