PlayStation 5 + Xbox Series S/X thread.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I prefer the feel of the Xbox controllers, but better haptic feedback in the shoulder buttons would do nothing but improve it. They've done little to change the controller since the original Xbox Controller S. A little bit of a generational upgrade is overdue.

Supposedly the cost of producing consoles isn't coming down during a generation like it used to. That's one way MS is justifying Series S.

Yeah, given the mid-cycle updates, I'm not expecting PS4 Pro or Bone X to be as low priced as a PS3 or 360 would be last time around. But sticking to $400 is a turnoff. I wonder if MS discontinuing the Bone X was a move to save face rather than charge $400 for an outdated console. (The One S, which is still available, is priced at $300 for reference.)

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Supposedly the cost of producing consoles isn't coming down during a generation like it used to. That's one way MS is justifying Series S.

Based on what I’ve seen so far from Series S videos, I think buying a used One X is a better deal than getting a new Series S. Seems like the One X is able to output the backwards compatible games at a higher resolution for sure. I’m not sure whether Series S gets you any performance boost on those other than faster loading. In the interest of transparency/shameless plug Im also trying to sell a One X of anyone’s interested.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Yeah, given the mid-cycle updates, I'm not expecting PS4 Pro or Bone X to be as low priced as a PS3 or 360 would be last time around. But sticking to $400 is a turnoff. I wonder if MS discontinuing the Bone X was a move to save face rather than charge $400 for an outdated console. (The One S, which is still available, is priced at $300 for reference.)
Not to save face. It's just time to retire it. The One X was geared toward gamers who are now only interested in Series X.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Literally can't be fucked with these two at the moment. Some seriously sketchy shit going on with scalpers and delivery drivers raiding supply. I think I'd rather buy that new MacBook air and wait until GTA6/Elder Scrolls gets announced :)

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
For the racing games, have any of you use a racing wheel? I take it no ultrawide support for the PS5?

Oh yeah this is another thing that would probably make me even more pissed if I bought a PS5. Logitech probably gonna fuck up with g29 support like they did with the older wheels on PS4 because muh somehtingsense controller.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The Xbox controller is perfect and there's no need for change for the sake of change. It's hard to fall behind when you're better than the competition for years now.

I still prefer the shape/form of the Xbox controller, but the Dual Sense is very impressive. Build quality feels great and its haptic feedback is very cool. Sony also shortened the triggers up just a little bit, which was one of the things I disliked about the PS4 controller.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Ps5 seems to be in much higher demand than the Xbox Series X. I would also say the naming scheme is going to confuse people like the Wii U did. Alot of parents will assume their kid already has the console

In general , so many things about the Series X just feel like a slight upgrade.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
The Series X is so much faster. I'm playing Borderlands 3 on a One X & Series X (different rooms) and the Series X stays a steady 60 fps no matter how much shit is on the screen. The One X is choppy as hell at times. I'll think it's froze up on me and then it acts normal.

I really can't wait until there's a selection of games designed for the PS5 & SeX.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Ps5 seems to be in much higher demand than the Xbox Series X. I would also say the naming scheme is going to confuse people like the Wii U did. Alot of parents will assume their kid already has the console

In general , so many things about the Series X just feel like a slight upgrade.
Yep. PS5 has more of that new console feel, and is the hot item this holiday season. But Series X also sold well. Supposedly the most successful launch yet, according to MS.There are definitely people who want want MS is selling.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I saw that and also saw a comment that they need to make a Jerry controller.

I’d buy.

Just kidding. It’d be sold out.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Yep. PS5 has more of that new console feel, and is the hot item this holiday season. But Series X also sold well. Supposedly the most successful launch yet, according to MS.There are definitely people who want want MS is selling.

I know they don't have the launch exclusives that Sony does, but I can't help but think that MS is missing the boat on this. The SX is the more powerful of the two systems, but like you said, the PS5 is the one that's gonna wow the user due to the controller, Astro's Playroom (great way to show off the DualSense and fun in its own right), and the new UI.

MS basically feels like it's consciously deciding not to fix what isn't broken, which is fine, but "fine" isn't the same as new and shiny.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Does it really matter? Most people end up getting both systems anyway. I ended up getting 4 ps4 & 3 xbox ones last gen. The same for 360 & PS3. PS4 won with the VR & Xbox game pass was really good.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I know they don't have the launch exclusives that Sony does, but I can't help but think that MS is missing the boat on this. The SX is the more powerful of the two systems, but like you said, the PS5 is the one that's gonna wow the user due to the controller, Astro's Playroom (great way to show off the DualSense and fun in its own right), and the new UI.

MS basically feels like it's consciously deciding not to fix what isn't broken, which is fine, but "fine" isn't the same as new and shiny.

Well I think the trick that Sony played was the PS5's approach to routing data across the system. So even though the PS5 is slower on paper (looking at the specs I mean), it could end up performing just as well, if not better, than the SX. It seems like it does load data faster than XS, but they're both so fast that it's not really that much of an advantage - at least for now. We'll probably have to wait to see how things pan out in the long run, but the bottom line is that both systems are very similar in architecture, and probably in performance, too. Once again, it will likely come down to exclusives. But then again, with cloud gaming services, even that may be a moot point. I don't have a PS4 at the moment, but I could buy a PS4 pad and play Bloodborne on the PS cloud service.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Does it really matter? Most people end up getting both systems anyway.

Yea, pretty much. I'm not planning on buying these new consoles since there is just too much I still haven't played on the PS4, XB1, and Switch but I do plan on getting both of these eventually since both of them are going to offer something I like. Forza Series on the XB and God of War series on the PS.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Does it really matter? Most people end up getting both systems anyway. I ended up getting 4 ps4 & 3 xbox ones last gen. The same for 360 & PS3. PS4 won with the VR & Xbox game pass was really good.

I feel that i will end up getting both for different reasons. I can get the Xbox X to essentially use for its backwards compatibility and the very few exclusives the xbone had. I feel that, given the list of titles and my massive PS4 backlog, I will put more time into a PS5 once they start having bundles.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member

The Series X looks possibly a bit more powerful on paper, but I remain unconvinced that the PS5 is actually less powerful in the real world. (Watch Digital Foundry's Assassin's Creed video.) And the PS5's SSD is definitely faster. Add in the controller, and it starts to get hard to see what Microsoft is offering this time around. "But Game Pass!" they'll say. Well, I'm more interested in buying my games.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'm convinced both Sony and Microsoft meet behind closed doors and discuss with each other hardware so that one company doesn't totally shit on the other. Fan Boys will duel it out with each other on social media on how one game plays better because it runs at 60 fps vs 58 fps in a certain part of the game. Just like the Ps2-XB, PS3-360, PS4-XB1, PS4Pro-XB1X, and now PS5-XBSX the one who wins the battle ultimately will be the one with the best first party games. Some games might perform slightly better on one console over the other but it will never be a huge difference.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Jeezus Watch Dogs is really broken don't play it regardless of system. Great how the current system allows for unfinished trash to be released for full price.

Last edited:

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Weird request. Probably can't be fulfilled.

I need to obtain a PS5 disc version.

I know it's highly unlikely but if anyone out there sees one in the wild, let me know. I am good for it. Looking to buy at retail price only, new only.

If you're out there in the contiguous USA, are willing to help me oyt and see one on a shelf, send me a message. I'll respond ASAP. Can PayPal you the cash or send it via whatever method works best for you. Thanks.

Can't say I've seen one around yet but will grab one for ya if I do come across one at retail.

The Series X is so much faster. I'm playing Borderlands 3 on a One X & Series X (different rooms) and the Series X stays a steady 60 fps no matter how much shit is on the screen. The One X is choppy as hell at times. I'll think it's froze up on me and then it acts normal.

Haven't played too much BL3 on my XboneX yet as erryone I played it with was on the Lamestation. But I don't recall it running too terribly on my XboneX (PS4 Pro, yes it ran like absolute shit). Needa give it a go on my XboneX now that I've slapped an SSD into it. Tossin an SSD into the Pro certainly helped BL3 run a little better, but it was still shit.

I've gotta admit I'm kinda wanting to give BL3 a go on a SeX now after hearing your experiences with it. Even though I don't want to be a beta tester for new consoles and would rather wait it out a while until inevitable bugs are worked out. I will admit I do like what I see in the build/design of the SeX after watching teardown vids on it. Mebbe I won't wait a year or two to pick one up...

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
If we’re being honest here PlayStation absolutely obliterates Xbox in terms of exclusives...it’s not even a debate.

For me the reason why i’ve consistently gone with Microsoft systems is because Gears of War, Forza Horizon and Killer Instinct are easily my most favorite modern franchises...but that’s it.

Ori and Cuphead were nice “to haves”...but definitely not system sellers.

I stopped caring about Halo decades ago.

If they don’t have a new Killer Instinct on XsX i’ll be pissed.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I really liked the Gears games too. Haven't played the last 2 but those games were great. I haven't touched the Halo games since 3 but I liked those as well, especially 2.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I never played Gears of war and I have a bunch of them.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Haven't played too much BL3 on my XboneX yet as erryone I played it with was on the Lamestation. But I don't recall it running too terribly on my XboneX (PS4 Pro, yes it ran like absolute shit). Needa give it a go on my XboneX now that I've slapped an SSD into it. Tossin an SSD into the Pro certainly helped BL3 run a little better, but it was still shit.

I've gotta admit I'm kinda wanting to give BL3 a go on a SeX now after hearing your experiences with it. Even though I don't want to be a beta tester for new consoles and would rather wait it out a while until inevitable bugs are worked out. I will admit I do like what I see in the build/design of the SeX after watching teardown vids on it. Mebbe I won't wait a year or two to pick one up...

Here's an example, you know when the game is loading up there's a part where Claptrap dances across the screen over and over until it finished loading. Claptrap goes across the screen one & a half times now and it's done.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Jeezus Watch Dogs is really broken don't play it regardless of system. Great how the current system allows for unfinished trash to be released for full price.
What do you mean?