Picked Up Elite Beat Agents Today.

Eldios

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Living by Nintendo World has its advantages sometimes. One of those advantages is getting the games a day or two earlier than the other game stores. I went there today to show my girlfriend the Wii (which, by the way, she loved), and to my surprise, Elite Beat Agents was out there for sale.

Since I was the first one on this board to sing the praises of Ouendan, I figured I should be the first one to christen EBA as well. So here goes...

First, EBA is a MUST HAVE DS title. Nintendo did not fuck around localizating this game, and it is absolutely great. I was EXTREMELY skeptical with the music when I first saw the list, but trust me when I say that the music fits the game perfectly, and the gameplay is just as, if not more, enjoyable than the original Ouendan.

I was pretty tired by the time I got home from Nintendo World, so I figured I would just play 1 song.....ahem, I ended up playing through every song of the game non-stop, as I was hooked. The game is that addicting.

Now, maybe it is just me, or maybe I just had experience from playing the hell out of Ouendan, but I found EBA much easier than Ouendan. It also could be that I am just a bit more familiar with the western music. Anyway, Nintendo was also actually nice and split the last stage up into two songs (for me, Ready Steady Go in Ouendan was one of the most frustrating experiences in my life). This is much appreciated, but the last song of the game is still quite challenging even on normal (the mode I played), and I am sure it will be quite a bitch on the harder modes.

Also, although the stories of the games are completely different from Ouendan, you will find some striking similarities in the themes of the stories for the last 5 (actually 4, but remember the last stage is split into 2 songs) stories of the game. I do not want to give away anything about the game, but if you have played Ouendan, you will know what I mean.

Anyway, the game rocks. The stories are really entertaining, and the music fits the action well. Pick it up, support Nintendo for doing what many said couldn't be done by localization this game for a western audience, and let's pray for a Wii version. Rock on Agents!!!:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Last edited:

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
Good Post. I will picking up my copy today. There is suppose to be some single card/multi-player this time. And from what I remember of the Japanese version, everyone needed their own card, so if that is correct, that is a nice addition.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
I havent played this yet but want to try it out. Ill swing by and pick one up.

Eldios

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Lastblade said:
How much was it?

$29.99 at the Nintendo World Store

Gameoz said:
Good Post. I will picking up my copy today. There is suppose to be some single card/multi-player this time. And from what I remember of the Japanese version, everyone needed their own card, so if that is correct, that is a nice addition.

Yes, I was suprised to see there is single card play in the American one, although I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. The Vs. mode also looks neat, so I will have to try that out too when I get some time.

Trust me when I say that this is really a great DS title and is a lot of fun. I would highly recommend picking up both the JPN and US one as they really are completely different games and each has its own distinct feel.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I went to Target today to see if they had it since I had a gift card but no luck.:(

Lucent Beam

Armored Scrum Object
Hm. Gamestop and EB have it back-ordered online and I just called Walmart and they don't have it either. Neither the Gamestop nor the EB near my house have any copies in.

What day is it actually supposed to be out? Today?

I didn't think this would be hard to get my hands on...

wizkid007

20 Year Member
This is a really neat game. Ill admit though I need some practice.

dakingofzumunda

Robert Garcia's Butler
Agents are...

GO!!!!!!!

That's all you need to know. hehe

Great game with very amusing comic strips. You have to mess up to see some of the funny stuff.

Earth, Wind and Fire's "September" is by far, my favorite song in the whole game.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
dakingofzumunda said:
Earth, Wind and Fire's "September" is by far, my favorite song in the whole game.

Figures, since that's the only good song on there.
I want to see some videos of this junks, it'd be awesome if Cinematech showed some.

dakingofzumunda

Robert Garcia's Butler
LoneSage said:
Figures, since that's the only good song on there.
I want to see some videos of this junks, it'd be awesome if Cinematech showed some.

I actually tested this game in it's early stages. In the first couple of versions we had, the developers actually used the real songs for us to play on. Now, i'm no fan of most of the artist on here(cept for a few. Queen) but I'll be honest, it made the game feel 10X better. What it really did was bring out those comic strips. In the end, they decided it was too expensive to license out all the artists so they went ahead and got cover bands instead.

If they could have done it somehow, I really wish they would have licensed: Skater Boi, Born to Love You, Material Girl and Without a Fight. I can live the rest of the game with covers. I will admit, some of the covers do sound pretty close to the original. Some even better than the actual version(Canned Heat, which i really like). It's still an awesome effort by INIS and i know this game will sell well. Two great music games to pick-up this month, EBA and Guitar Hero 2.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
Great game. Tried out the multi-player tonight and it works really well, although it did take a while to load.

Timorous Scott

Raiden's Valet
I have the Japanese version, and as hard as it is I love it. I'll pick this version up later, maybe at Christmas.

BIG

sony fanboy
Picked this up today,and I must say that it is alot better than I expected.

The strips are hilarious,and once the gameplay kicks in,the music didn't bother me much at all.

I still like the JP version better,though.

B-

Awesome game:-)

If anyone in North Seattle is looking for it, the Northgate Target has tons of copies for $29.99.

Very good, game..

I wish it had more songs, but definitely as good as Quendan.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I had almost imported this game when it was first released in Japan, and after playing the US version for a bit, I really wish I had.

This game is really fun stuff.

I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do, but I do.

The US song list had me a bit worried, but once I actually started to get into it, I found myself enjoying them and finding them to be quite suitable to the gameplay.

I'm digging this game so much I think I might even finally snatch up the Japanese version too.

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
I enjoyed this as well. The American music kept me from it but after actually playing it, I reversed my decision right then and there! Good stuff! I say EBA and Ouendan are on par!

Eldios

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Playing this game on the third difficulty level, and I am happy to say that unlike the Japanese version, as you progress in difficulty on the American one, Bonus levels/songs open up. I think this is very cool and wish the Japanese version contained it.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Eldios said:
Playing this game on the third difficulty level, and I am happy to say that unlike the Japanese version, as you progress in difficulty on the American one, Bonus levels/songs open up. I think this is very cool and wish the Japanese version contained it.

How does the difficulty of the US one compare to the JP version? By the 3/4th song, the difficulty on the JP version rendered it frustratingly unplayable.

BIG

sony fanboy
GregN. said:
How does the difficulty of the US one compare to the JP version? By the 3/4th song, the difficulty on the JP version rendered it frustratingly unplayable.

EBA is much easier than OTO,imo.

I got through about 5-6 songs on my first try.

B-

wizkid007

20 Year Member
I havent played the jap.

And will admit that I sucked even at EBAs in the beginning. However I can just coast through the game now. I always seem to have a learning curve with anything I do. A long one. But after I start recognizing things I excel it. I just wiz through the game now. I would like to try the jap one.