Photography Thread

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I just planon using photoshop for any corrections/adjustments.

Who uses RAW over jpg & why?

Anyone have a battery grip & not like it?

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I just planon using photoshop for any corrections/adjustments.

Who uses RAW over jpg & why?

If you're editing a ton of similar photos (like a headshot session) or are concerned about your files taking up a ton of storage, then Lightroom is the way to go. I usually just use PS though.

RAW's colors are MUCH more accurate, and there's way more color and lighting data, so you have way more flexibility when making adjustments. If your camera supports it, you definitely want to go with RAW.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yep, I use RAW+JPEG. RAW is excellent if you need to do fine adjustments after the fact. It can also save an otherwise unusable photo if your exposure is off. I've recovered some pretty gnarly blown highlights a few times which would have been impossible with the JPEG. I also save JPEG files alongside the RAW just in case my RAW files can't be read by future programs. I learned this the hard way because I have some early work shot on an old Panasonic FZ8 and I can't open the RAWs with photoshop now.

P.S. - I also want to say that BladeDancer and fakeXsound have some amazing work there. I'm especially impressed with the bird photos, been wanting to do stuff like that by my lenses don't have the reach.

Last edited:

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
I'm not really a huge fan of fucking with my pics digitally *too* much, so all I do is use Gimp or whatever to crop, and Colorsync Utility to adjust exposure/brightness/contrast/saturation/white balance if I fucked things up with I took the pic in the first place.

Yeah, I sometimes do non destructive edits like cropping, or exporting more compressed images for specific use cases. But I'm mostly using Aperture to organize my photos.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Here a couple shots from my D90 over the years. So many on my HDD, most of which are trash or mediocre at best. :lolz: My camera bails me out some of the time.

Not sure what the settings were for each shot but feel free to pull the EXIF data if you're bored.

Spoiler:

Couple of my kid's soccer teammates.

DSC_0442.jpg

DSC_0936.jpg

Random Puerto Rico

DSC_0144.jpg

DSC_0164.jpg

HI main island at my pal's house

DSC_0184.jpg

USGP, Austin... I have a million of these that all look about the same. Pretty much rapid fire and pray a few turn out OK.

DSC_0450.jpg

Fooling around with my old inherited Leica M3

DSC_0533.jpg

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Nice photos, Jim!

And that last one makes me miss my M3 (and shooting film in general) badly. :crying:

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
I still shoot 35mm B/W. My school still lets me go back to use their darkroom, which is neat.

I have a few beaters, a Pentax ME Super and a Minolta XG1. I'd like to eventually fix a Konica FT-1 Motor that was given to me by my parents, but it has some pretty gnarly battery corrosion. It's nothing special but I'd like to get it to work again. I'm scanning some prints now, if I remember I'll post some of the cooler ones.

fake

15 Year Member
Yep, I use RAW+JPEG. RAW is excellent if you need to do fine adjustments after the fact. It can also save an otherwise unusable photo if your exposure is off. I've recovered some pretty gnarly blown highlights a few times which would have been impossible with the JPEG. I also save JPEG files alongside the RAW just in case my RAW files can't be read by future programs. I learned this the hard way because I have some early work shot on an old Panasonic FZ8 and I can't open the RAWs with photoshop now.

P.S. - I also want to say that BladeDancer and fakeXsound have some amazing work there. I'm especially impressed with the bird photos, been wanting to do stuff like that by my lenses don't have the reach.

Thank you!

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
I recently got into full frame with a Nikon D-750 with the 24-120 f/4 kit lens, pretty damn nice lens IMO. I've also got a D7100 DX format, I think the only DX specific lens I have on that is the 17-55 f/2.8, which I kind of regret purchasing. Great daily lens, but really heavy. The 750 w/the kit lens is much better. I've also got the 105mm f/2.8 macro lens, 35mm and 50mm primes and the older 70-200mm f/2.8 VR which is a beast.

I've also got a Nikon D90 I've retired if anyone is looking for a body.
What does a D90 go for body only these days? Did you film much with it?

I had an older Sony Cybershot that was a great practical shooter but very archaic storage media. I moved from there to heavy use of a D80/90 and then owned a D40x before I went on hiatus. I'm itching bad for a nice camera soon, maybe an older Leica D-Lux? :)

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Whats the advantage of a full frame? Jordan and I were talking bout a possible nikon D610 vs the D7100. I couldn't justify the price difference right now& went with the D7100 body, was that still a good choice?

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yeah bro, full frame means larger sensor, larger sensors have larger pixels that are able to soak up more light, therefore you get better low light performance and less noise across the ISO range. Plus you don't have crop factor with the lenses when using them on full frame.

7100 isn't a bad choice, you just chose excellent over excellenter is all. :lolz:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Holy crap...have the image setting on medium RAW and the file size is 24 MB!

fake

15 Year Member
Holy crap...have the image setting on medium RAW and the file size is 24 MB!

Yeah, they'll be between about 25 and 30 MB each. I'd recommend grabbing multiple 16GB SD cards that have 90Mb/s write speeds. It's better to have a bunch of small ones over one big one because if one fails, not all of your photos are on that one card. It's important to get a card with a fast write speed if you're taking multiple shots in succession. Your camera will give you a "busy" message if you try to take your next shot too quickly and you'll miss the shot.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yeah, I'm actually stepping down a bit... I have been using a Sony A7 (24MP) for awhile now, but I recently bought into Micro 4/3 with an Olympus Pen EP-5. Excellent image quality, small size, and in-body image stabilization (so all lenses used with it are stabilized). The largest megapixel sensor for M4/3 right now is 16MP, which in my opinion is the sweet spot for file size vs. image quality. I'm liking it so far, I want to get the 75-300 (150-600mm equivalent) lens for it, which will finally give me that reach to do birding. Hoping to have the lens right after the new year.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder

I have a battery and I dont like it because it makes the camery that much more bulkier but having 2 batteries instead of 1 make it a no brainer.

Im kinda used to the grip now anyways.

Oh yeah, shooting vertical with a grip is pretty nice lol