Phoenixed CPS2 Games not Working

Lovecraft0110

Ace Gho,
20 Year Member
Hey guys,

I just got the roms back from Razoola for my 4 CPS2 games (AvP, D&D ToD, D&D SoM, X-Men COTA), and after several tests with 2 different A boards in both of my cabs...only the cheapo X-Men works!!!!! :mad_2:

WTF is going on? The only difference I can think off is that the battery in X-Men was dead prior to being "phoenixed". As for the rest, they all had batteries, but I removed the battery from one of them after it didn't work the first time -and still doesn't. :scratch:

Any ideas will be very much appreciated. :help:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Are they in all the way and in the correct positions? I would pull all of them out one by one and just make sure.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
If the other games still had working batteries that you just cut they will need to sit for a number of hours before they will work. I've had them take anywhere from 4-18 or so hours. I've also heard you can short something so you don't have to wait, never done it though.

Lovecraft0110

Ace Gho,
20 Year Member
If the other games still had working batteries that you just cut they will need to sit for a number of hours before they will work. I've had them take anywhere from 4-18 or so hours. I've also heard you can short something so you don't have to wait, never done it though.

Phew! I wish I had known that before, thanks a lot, The Chief.

And now the wait begins...

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Do you have to remove the battery once the roms are phoenixed? Can you just leave them in?

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Do you have to remove the battery once the roms are phoenixed? Can you just leave them in?

Yes, they should be removed. I suppose the fix would still take if the battery was dead, but then you're at risk of having it leak and ruin the board.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Awesome. Great info, Cheif!

To the OP (or anyone), how much did it cost to get phoenix chips for each board?

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
No don't leave the battery in as it is a liability. You don't have to wait hours for the code to die out, just short it out and be done with it. Look at the board and next to the battery you will see a component called EX (I forget the rest) flip over the pcb and short the three lead together with a screw driver or what ever.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'm also getting some roms phoenixed by razoola. So before I put them in, I should remove the battery first? Sorry for sounding like a broken record, just want to make sure I follow correct procedure. Don't want to fuck anything up.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Yeah, cut the battery out before reinstalling the phoenixed ROMs.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I'm also getting some roms phoenixed by razoola. So before I put them in, I should remove the battery first? Sorry for sounding like a broken record, just want to make sure I follow correct procedure. Don't want to fuck anything up.

Doesn't make a difference if you do it before or after as long as you do it and short out the encryption. The only way you can really fuck up is to put the chips in backwards.

Chief, long time no hear from, where you've been hiding?

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member

Hey man, I've been around. I pretty much finished up my arcade collection last year, just down to playing and enjoying it now.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Hey man, I've been around. I pretty much finished up my arcade collection last year, just down to playing and enjoying it now.

I still got a lot of stuff I want but money has been tight for the last 2 years.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yeah, cut the battery out before reinstalling the phoenixed ROMs.

Doesn't make a difference if you do it before or after as long as you do it and short out the encryption. The only way you can really fuck up is to put the chips in backwards.

Good Stuff. Thanks

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
I still got a lot of stuff I want but money has been tight for the last 2 years.

I hear you, there's still a couple games I'd like to pick up eventually but I'm in no rush. Space is at a premium these days and I'm working on getting together a list of boards to put up for sale.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
No don't leave the battery in as it is a liability. You don't have to wait hours for the code to die out, just short it out and be done with it. Look at the board and next to the battery you will see a component called EX (I forget the rest) flip over the pcb and short the three lead together with a screw driver or what ever.

It's location EXC1 (just above the back of the program ROM sockets). After you remove the battery, short the three solder points together for a few seconds and it should do the trick. Sometimes you have to do this at a later point, even after it's been working fine. From experience it's very rare, but if you have problems down the line just short EXC1 again and you're good to go.

Lovecraft0110

Ace Gho,
20 Year Member
I removed the battery from all 4 games, 2 of them are working now, but it's been 24 hrs. and the other two (both D&D games) aren't. :scratch:

Any thoughts?

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Silly question, but are you sure you put the right ROMs back in the right boards? I know they're both D&D games.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
I removed the battery from all 4 games, 2 of them are working now, but it's been 24 hrs. and the other two (both D&D games) aren't. :scratch:

Any thoughts?

What do you mean by not working? What color screen do you get? Did you short the 3 pins at EXC1?

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Make sure you put the right roms on the right boards plus make sure you didn't bent any pins.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I think we are on top of this situation (via PM), if shorting EXC1 location does not work then another way to test is to simply take program roms 03 and 04 from the working xmen board (only these 2 are needed from that game) and put them into one of the non working boards to do a simple test. If you then see something happening on screen (will be currupted gfx) then we know its probably a ROM issue and not the PCB.

I have actually see games last up to 48 hours without battery but its rare to happen.