Phantasy Star Portable demo out on PSN!

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
So what is the level cap in the retail version going to be? I am guessing this is still coming out in the next day or two?

If it's anything like the console releases, it should be 150. Expect it to take a really, really, really long time to hit it.

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
I preordered it at the EB.

I'll give them a call and see if it's in, the site says now shipping. It may not be in stores down here until tomorrow though.

Reality Check

World Hero
Picked this up today. I never liked PSU but I decided to give it a second chance so I can use my PSP for gaming again. This is so much better as a handheld game. Damn you PSP for making me like PSU!

Last edited:

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
To be fair, you're getting all the Ambition of Illuminus expanded content in there as well. There's more to like than there was with the original PSU, and I think the story mode is better.

My local store should be getting their copies in today.

Reality Check

World Hero
I'm liking the story of this game moreso than PSU. Largely thanks to main character not being an annoying twat. I also feel more motivated to switch up my character type this time around. Playing as a fightmaster at the moment and it kicks ass. Now I have to convince my buddies to get this so I can play some mutliplayer missions

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
I've put around 10-15 hours into this over the last week, and I am loving it.

The story is definitely not GOTY material, but it's better than the original PSU plot. A lot of classic PSU characters make guest appearances. The lobbies/city areas have been replaced with static navigational screens, but I don't really mind.

The leveling feels accelarated when compared to the console versions. I said fuck it to my trial version character (level 20) and started a brand new one. She's already level 25 with a Hunter rank of 10. I'm currently ranking up Force.

The PSP control scheme fits well, but it takes a little while to get used to it. Especially if you have big hands. I still get a little awkward when it comes to using RB and LB abilities.

Visually, it's pretty impressive for a PSP game. It looks almost as good as the PS2 versions of PSU. I got used to it very quickly, and didn't even think about it anymore until I played PSU on 360.

It's a very solid game, well worth the $39.99 price point.

If you only ever played PSU at the very beginning and weren't entirely enamored with the experience, definitely check this one out. It's got all the original content plus the Ambition of Iluminus expansion stuff/improvements.

Now if I could just get some local friends to play it with me over ad-hoc.