PGM scrolling issue on Egret II

poodude

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Hey guys, I recently bought a pgm mobo with cart and I'm having an issue with scrolling graphics on my Egret II. When I plug it into my Astro City the picture is beautiful and stable. This is the only motherboard that has had an issue on my Egret.

My initial thought was that these boards are touchy, so I adjusted the +5 pot on the PSU. Cranking up the voltage stopped the scrolling, but there is still some warping toward the top of the screen and it still feels a little flickery when compared to on the Astro. If I max the voltage I start getting artifacting on the screen, so I prompty turned it down as to not damage the board. I also tried adjusting the voltage to the monitor, and that had no effect.

Is there some other voltage or monitor adjustment I could be missing? The next thing I might try is to take a multimeter and try to match the voltage coming from the Astro.

0106112217011.jpg

caldwert

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
Ah, seeing this picture makes sense. Sometimes boards of mine will do this at random. I just mess with the monitor controls til it clears up. All the Seibu SPI stuff was an example of that. CPS2 stuff sometimes does it for me as well, depending on the motherboard being used. And yes I was the one who sold him this, and I have 2 Astro's so it always worked fine for me before someone comes in and tries to shit on me.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Looks like the sync is being driven too hard for your chassis' liking and clipping. I bet a resistor of 2-3 KOhm's on the sync line would clear that right up.

As for turning your power supply up so high that it's causing graphical artifacts to appear on the screen, it's no wonder there's so many fucked boards out there.

Don't even think about adjusting it without a voltmeter, what's wrong with you?

Last edited:

poodude

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Looks like the sync is being driven too hard for your chassis' liking and clipping. I bet a resistor of 2-3 KOhm's on the sync line would clear that right up.

As for turning your power supply up so high that it's causing graphical artifacts to appear on the screen, it's no wonder there's so many fucked boards out there.

Don't even think about adjusting it without a voltmeter, what's wrong with you?

I figured it wouldn't hurt if I did it for a second; and it was fine. Would adjustments on the chassis pots do anything at all? I think I may just run it in my Astro, as I don't think I want to start soldering stuff to the board.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
It may not have done any immediately obvious damage, but you've probably shortened the life of the components on the board.

I wouldn't have thought any chassis adjustments would make an improvement unless one of the pots is faulty or dirty, which is always possible.

As for soldering to the board I can understand you not wanting to modify it but one resistor isn't the end of the world if it means the system will play in the cabinet you want it to.

By the way, what is that game? Looks pretty cool.

poodude

B. Jenet's Firstmate
It may not have done any immediately obvious damage, but you've probably shortened the life of the components on the board.

I wouldn't have thought any chassis adjustments would make an improvement unless one of the pots is faulty or dirty, which is always possible.

As for soldering to the board I can understand you not wanting to modify it but one resistor isn't the end of the world if it means the system will play in the cabinet you want it to.

By the way, what is that game? Looks pretty cool.

Demon Front, a Tiwanese metal slug clone.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The PGM sync signal is pretty dodgy. My supergun has a sync cleaner, and even then some of my TVs will blink colors brighter and darker from time to time. Demon Front is a great game.