Pest control solutions

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I have a large storage barn that is becoming overrun with pigeons. They are shitting all over the place, and have to go. It's a huge barn and would be too expensive to kit out with netting and perch spikes so I'm left thinking of four possible strategies:

1) One of those plastic owl bird decoys
2) One of those electric bird scarers that let out some kind of high pitched noise
3) Poison
4) Air rifle

Does anyone have any experience of any of the above, and any relevant input?

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Air rifle is the way to go.

If you cant or dont want to shoot them yourself you can probably find someone in your local area who will do it FOC for the opportunity of a shooting permission.

They go nice in a stew to ;)

You have to be carefull with poisons as what you poison can then be eaten by predators or your cats etc (if you have any) then poison them.

StevenK

10 Year Member
Air rifle is the way to go.

If you cant or dont want to shoot them yourself you can probably find someone in your local area who will do it FOC for the opportunity of a shooting permission.

They go nice in a stew to ;)

You have to be carefull with poisons as what you poison can then be eaten by predators or your cats etc (if you have any) then poison them.

Hmm, interesting. Not that I'm particularly squeamish about shooting them, I've moved into the hate zone now so anything goes, but I'd rather not have to go out and spend money on it if I don't have to.

Where would one find ones local blood hungry madman?

Edit: just seen your pm - I'll give that a go, thanks.

Last edited:

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Get some cats maybe? I've seen feral ones in my town trotting around with dead pigeons in their mouths.

Years ago, the city council in my town wanted to poison all of the pigeons, but, when they got quotes, they didn't like the price tag, so, they gave up on that, and the old buildings are still pigeon-infested to this day.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Get some cats maybe? I've seen feral ones in my town trotting around with dead pigeons in their mouths.

Years ago, the city council in my town wanted to poison all of the pigeons, but, when they got quotes, they didn't like the price tag, so, they gave up on that, and the old buildings are still pigeon-infested to this day.

That's what it seems like most farmers do. Have a small colony of cats. Get them fixed if their number grow to high. You might need to spend a few bucks on food and water a month and throw it on the back porch and let a couple of them inside in the winter when it gets cold.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farm_cat

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
That's what it seems like most farmers do. Have a small colony of cats. Get them fixed if their number grow to high. You might need to spend a few bucks on food and water a month and throw it on the back porch and let a couple of them inside in the winter when it gets cold.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farm_cat

This is what we have...a couple barn cats. They keep the mice, chipmunks, barn swallows, and freaky frog in check.
There are many options for various types of netting which would be best bet. It could be a nylon blend or you can even use a thin gauge metal like chick wire.
I'd be hesitant on the pellet gun depending on what type of roof you have.

Also, how are they getting in? Might need to look at that and fix any holes, shut doors ect...

We've got about 8 bats in our horse barn, they keep the mosquito population now, so they aren't any harm unless for some reason they become rabid.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I have a large storage barn that is becoming overrun with pigeons. They are shitting all over the place, and have to go. It's a huge barn and would be too expensive to kit out with netting and perch spikes so I'm left thinking of four possible strategies:

2) One of those electric bird scarers that let out some kind of high pitched noise
3) Poison
4) Air rifle

Sounds like you're trying to close the barn door after the pigeons have moved in. That's how the saying goes, right?

StevenK

10 Year Member
I think airgun is the way to go.

Cats are fine but if I move premises what do I do with them?

Disagree. Mine hasn’t worked surprisingly well

Was this supposed to say has?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Last year, in the neighboring town, there was a bad wind storm that damaged some roofs, and a shitload of pigeons were able to get down into the unoccupied second floor apartment of one of those buildings. I'm sure the owner wasn't amused, but, it cracked me up every time I walked down the street and saw rows of pigeons sitting inside the apartment's windows, sunning themselves and nonchalantly watching what was going on in the street down below, like, "This is our building now, fuckas!". Eventually, it got fixed up, but, I don't know if the birds were killed or just chased out.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Zyklon B the fucking barn, they'll never come back. That or burn it and have a party!

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Was this supposed to say has?

Yeah. Birds used to poo all over my porch. I got one of those owls - just a basic one that has a bobblehead - and the birds fucked right off. It's been two years and I still haven't had a problem.

Whippy

Banned

3) Poison
4) Air rifle

Ruger makes a series of pellet rifles called the "Air hawk" and they are quite accurate and have more than enough punch to take out a small bird at short ranges. Ruger branded air rifles come in a variety of models & some of the models come with a suppressor installed, and it will help with muzzle noise. They make a bit of noise, and if you exceed the speed of sound with your pellets, they will crack slightly, and the suppressor won't help with that. If you enjoy that sort of sport, it would make for a fun afternoon. I would supplement either with poison OR a few fixed cats.

https://hardairmagazine.com/reviews...test-review-ruger-air-hawk-air-rifle-177-cal/

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
I've a small terrace and a plastic crow did a great job.
I also have those silver stripes that scare them.
Never seen a pigeon in months, without cruelty and money waste, but for bigger areas could not be so efficient.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Don't know how well a fake owl will work on a domesticated (but feral) bird like the pigeon.

StevenK

10 Year Member
Don't know how well a fake owl will work on a domesticated (but feral) bird like the pigeon.

Well, I'll find out soon. The owl is in the post, they get a week to be scared by it or they get shot.