Pen marks on labels? Any tips for removal

ne7

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
Hey,

I've got quite a few original MVS carts here that previous owners / ops wrote on with marker pen (normally ones w. Japanese labels) sometimes even mis-spelling the games names :) Just wondering if anyone's got any tips for getting the pen off the original labels or at least lightening the tone of the marker pen?

ta in advance!

ne7

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
uhm. LOL.

i've worked out how to do it - this is going to sound nuts - but toothpaste works a treat.
stick a bit on an old CDR - get some kitchen roll or something softer perhaps and give it a good scrub over with just toothpaste (I used colgate :)

gives a new meaning to the term minty fresh *grin*

just be careful you dont rub too hard and take any of the surface of the label with it... but I just managed to get about 90% of the pen crap off the label for my Japanese World Heroes MVS cart (and 100% of the other perm pen crap off the case) !!!
:-)

Note: there might be some slight discolouration of course - but heck if the cart is scrawled all over with stupid pen who cares right, looks a hell of a lot better plus smells nice :)

Last edited:

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Pics and brand of toothpaste,please:D

ne7

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
well - just testing it out on a world heros 2 jet cart and the toothpaste is lifting the label bg color :( so its not 100% :) it must depend on the label quality underneath... ie if they printed them cheaply it seems to lift the ink. i'm sure on gloss labels it would be fine tho...

but on the plastic its frankly amazing! - i've cleaned the outer shells of loads of em now :)

ne7

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
ahem. yes it worked just great on the world heroes cart but doesnt seem to work great on the other graffiti'd ones - did spot tests and it def pulls the color and print - no great loss as they were ruined labels anyway (and only tiny test spots) alpha must have printed the early labels differently is all i can think...?

however i do recommend it for cleaning pesky marks off of shells - just cleaned my Puzzled carts shell - all shiny now (it had blues journey scrawled over it in gold perma pen before! :)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If it's a newer glossy label you can use rubbing alcohol.