PCE/TG Project: BoostMasta+

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Out of curiosity: Could the turbobooster be 'upgraded' with the new ram, or would it be more hassle than it's worth? (Supposing it's possible)

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Out of curiosity: Could the turbobooster be 'upgraded' with the new ram, or would it be more hassle than it's worth? (Supposing it's possible)
I have never used a US booster before, but I'm sure it's possible. Upgrading a jpn Tennokoe bank would be much easier. Thats what I did with mine when I first started working on the replacement board. I could make a quick upgrade board for those. Several things would have to be removed and a few jumpers placed.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I have never used a US booster before, but I'm sure it's possible. Upgrading a jpn Tennokoe bank would be much easier. Thats what I did with mine when I first started working on the replacement board. I could make a quick upgrade board for those. Several things would have to be removed and a few jumpers placed.

Somewhere I have a broken booster that I'd be more than happy to donate to the cause, if you'd like to mess around with one. You could just keep it, it's not doing me any good. (This is supposing I can even find it)

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Definitely want one of these w/ optional RBG board. Just tell me when and where to send all my monies.

ne7

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
Deffo interested in one of these when they get done, already had to fix my TB twice now, fab project :)

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Thanks guys! I have a new proto that is coming in soon that is a different design. Another guy has a RGB board (without tennokoe memory) that looks almost exactly like what I did. We didn't copy each other it's just coincidence that they look so much alike. But since they look so similar, I decided to change mine. This new design is much slimmer and will also be better for those who already have their TG/PCEs RGB modded.

Hopefully in a few weeks I'll have pics to show.

Good to see you BioMotor!

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I don't suppose there would be a way to attach this to a system and still use a CD unit, would there?

I'd love to get component/RGB out and not have to modify my system to do it.

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
This is an awesome looking project and I would definitely be interested in one. I really appreciate these types of projects that bring needed updates to older systems.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I don't suppose there would be a way to attach this to a system and still use a CD unit, would there?

I'd love to get component/RGB out and not have to modify my system to do it.

It may be possible to add the video circuit to a CD system without doing any mods, but the memory wouldn't work. I had worked on a memory upgrade board for the IFU, but never tested it.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Any plans to make the memory portion of this a stand alone PCB for internal TG16/PCE modding?

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Lem, I'm sure you could make that happen regardless.
question is, if you hardwired it into a PCE/TG and then hooked that up to a CD unit, which memory unit would get accessed?

Lemony Vengeance

Lem, I'm sure you could make that happen regardless.
question is, if you hardwired it into a PCE/TG and then hooked that up to a CD unit, which memory unit would get accessed?

Easy answer, a switch :P

As for "figuring it out" I'm sure I could, but why blaze new trails if they've already been blazed?

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I think internal modding a TG or PCE with this is going to be extremely difficult. The board just wouldn't fit in a PCE and it's a shit ton of solder points to make it fit in a TG.

EDIT:

The new layout is much slimmer. The pic below is just the memory portion, but there will also be another board on top that holds the AV port and RGB amp. This way people who already have their PCE RGB modded can get the memory option without the RGB amp.
Us0jmCQ.jpg

Last edited:

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
yeah, there's not a lot of extra space in a PCE.
i could see some crafty individuals getting one of those into a TG though.

how many of the pins on the rear connector are actually used?

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
yeah, there's not a lot of extra space in a PCE.
i could see some crafty individuals getting one of those into a TG though.

how many of the pins on the rear connector are actually used?

30 something

Lemony Vengeance

I think internal modding a TG or PCE with this is going to be extremely difficult. The board just wouldn't fit in a PCE and it's a shit ton of solder points to make it fit in a TG.

EDIT:

The new layout is much slimmer. The pic below is just the memory portion, but there will also be another board on top that holds the AV port and RGB amp. This way people who already have their PCE RGB modded can get the memory option without the RGB amp.
Us0jmCQ.jpg

This is HOT

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
not gonna lie, i came a bit when i saw that pic.
nice work man!

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I got the RGB daughterboard proto in last week and finally got around to assembling it. There are a few changes that need to be made, but this gives you an idea how everything will hook together. This will also be encased in lasercut plexi.

Mnxdi5E.jpg

wrNJOMb.jpg

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Nice!

You bringing one with you to MGC?

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Nice!

You bringing one with you to MGC?

Yeah I'll bring one. I may try to get a mock lasercut thing made by then.

Oh, I also made these compatible with Quan's Omega RGB/AV cords.

I'm hoping this thing will stay around .75" deep.