PCE Super SD System 3 - Terraonion New Product (Dec 2017)

But it's not a huge god damned deal. Just reverse the thing, if you can. Or if you don't have any intention of using composite video, piss on it. It will do you zero harm. It's not the end of the world, boiz. Absolutely definitely isn't a reason to do a unit recall. That would be fucking ridiculous.

Thanks for the whole explanation, very much appreciated! I'm only using it via a Genesis 2 to Scart cable to an hdmi upscaler, so I won't care about this minor c60 issue. I still love the device and I'm thrilled that there's someone out there willing to support us old retro gamers. If you guys want to see it in action, we played it for about 4 hours on Twitch this past Sunday, I post our past broadcasts on Youtube, the TG-16 + Super SD System 3 video is here:

https://youtu.be/gXxslkTT20Y

It's Twitch so yeah we hang, drink and blather a bunch but we do play games as well. Aside from the known video glitches in Sherlock Holmes the device is just astounding to me and an absolute bargain in my mind. Mine is going nowhere :) Thanks again to NeoCD for this. I can see he is getting stressed from all the attacks so maybe it is time to step back. What I would do is offer anyone a refund that doesn't want it, and sell the remaining ones as purely Scart out since that works fine, maybe throw in the mini din to scart cable and only support that, nothing more. I'm sure these will sell out anyways even with that restriction because they are awesome.

takeshi385

n00b
Hey guys and gals, I just got my white pc engine and now I can confirm that the super sd sytem 3 will NOT work with gametech's region mod for the turbo grafx 16.

monads

Mr. Big's Thug
10 Year Member
But it's not a huge god damned deal. Just reverse the thing, if you can. Or if you don't have any intention of using composite video, piss on it. It will do you zero harm. It's not the end of the world, boiz. Absolutely definitely isn't a reason to do a unit recall. That would be fucking ridiculous.

Yes, thanks for the details Voultar!! I'll just reverse C60 and put to rest!! I am using the composite video output.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Can I just reverse it with a soldering iron, or do i need a hot-air gun?

*edit, oh shit 1000 posts! :buttrock:

monads

Mr. Big's Thug
10 Year Member
From the pic posted earlier it looks like a desoldering iron is suffice for removal and just resolder in the correct position. That's what I was going to try to do anyway this evening.

Thanks Yodd for confirmation!

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Ohh, your one of those guys. Got it
Haha, indeed! Thanks though Voultar! Not completely convinced "yet" - I will change the cap around and measure before and after, but I did some tinkering with the scope last weekend to try and get my PCE working with the 1084, and with or wirhout the cap I noticed no difference whatsoever if I am honest and pretty sure I saw no difference on the scope, but I may see a difference when the cap is the right way around... I will re-check next weekend when I swap the cap around. I guess the larger problem here is the fact its a tant, since aluminium caps the wrong way around dont behave exactly the same way? Are we sure it is a tant?

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
BTW, C-Video isn't .3vPP, that's C-Sync. C-Video is a nominal 1vPP.

Thanks for clarifying =D I did work it out (see EDIT2 in that post lol). It's not an area that I've ever spent much time looking at tbh.

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
Haha, indeed! Thanks though Voultar! Not completely convinced "yet" - I will change the cap around and measure before and after, but I did some tinkering with the scope last weekend to try and get my PCE working with the 1084, and with or wirhout the cap I noticed no difference whatsoever if I am honest and pretty sure I saw no difference on the scope, but I may see a difference when the cap is the right way around... I will re-check next weekend when I swap the cap around. I guess the larger problem here is the fact its a tant, since aluminium caps the wrong way around dont behave exactly the same way? Are we sure it is a tant?

It's definitely a tantalum. That was why I was saying there was a concern. I wasn't trying to say if you use this you will definitely burn down your city or anything. It's just not worth the risk in my mind for such a simple fix.

haightc

n00b
Cool, I ordered mine back early/mid December, looks like it left Spain on the 28th of last month. So when it get here, hopefully in a few weeks I'll flip that cap around in case I want to use my HD Retrovision cable.

atman

n00b
Guess I'll flip C60 when Ill get the time. Not a big deal.

Been playing mine for a week now and Im so impressed! So incredible to be able to play CD games with this kind of load times. I absolutly love it!
This SSDS3 system made me buy a neoSD for my AES.

I know that I'll recieve a great and unique product from Terraonion.

sadelape

n00b
Mine has been working perfectly with the hd retrovi lretrovision composite cable on my sony xbr trinitron crt. Best picture quality I've seen on the set.

atman

n00b
Mine has been working perfectly with the hd retrovi lretrovision composite cable on my sony xbr trinitron crt. Best picture quality I've seen on the set.

I agree, best picture I've seen coming out of a PCE.
Also, audio buzz seems to be an issue, often on RGB modded ones. But I havent any audio buzz on the SSDS3, even with a cheapass RGB cable.

Thumbs up!

NOW: Selling my Duo-R!

sadelape

n00b
Ya my turbo hasn't been rgb modded and has no audio buzz that I can detect.

I have notice in Ys I and II about every 5 to 10 mins the music has a garbled 1 or 2 secs then continues on normally. Could be the bin/cue.

Gotta say this device is about the best purchase I've made since the neosd.

torgo100

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I am tired, i can´t live with this anymore.

I am considering those options right now :

Not selling any more Super SD System 3 and ship all pending orders.

Put my time in other thing and move along.

I can´t live with all this shit alone. Sorry, i got burnt by you guys and this RGB party. Well done

Please don't stop. I want to buy another one soon, because I'm completely satisfied with it, and I want to get one for my buddy on his birthday.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
It may also impact how well TV's, BVM's and Scalers slice or "lock" onto the sync signal, if you're syncing on composite video.

That might explain why I can't find a solid sync level on my XRGB mini that it seems happy with. I'll get a frame stutter or sync artifact for a frame every minute or so. I'd been using a SCART that syncs on composite video. In theory I either rotate the amp, or use a SCART that uses csync (which I do have lying around) and it should be happier?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I am tired, i can´t live with this anymore.

I am considering those options right now :

Not selling any more Super SD System 3 and ship all pending orders.

Put my time in other thing and move along.

I can´t live with all this shit alone. Sorry, i got burnt by you guys and this RGB party. Well done

I don't blame you bro. I would just put my time into something else and just sell whatever you have left in stock. It sucks because it's a great product but trying to please these rgb super nerds is impossible.

You did the right thing by adding rgb video output to the device but looking back at it now, you should have just left it out and let these rgb guys use their own rgb mods on their consoles. It probably would have saved you money and headaches.

That being said, I'm very happy with my purchase and think the video looks great.

Last edited:

DoDonpachi

n00b
I don't blame you bro. I would just put my time into something else and just sell whatever you have left in stock. It sucks because it's a great product but trying to please these rgb super nerds is impossible.

You did the right thing by adding rgb video output to the device but looking back at it now, you should have just left it out and let these rgb guys use their own rgb mods on their consoles. It probably would have saved you money and headaches.

That being said, I'm very happy with my purchase and think the video looks great.

+1 for EVERY word!

SavagePencil

Crazed MVS Addict
If there's a way to route the CD audio out (which is the one aspect that the SSDS3 requires the MD2 port for) in a way that doesn't get interference from the SD card reads, you could satisfy the RGB nerds, while non-nerds could get an acceptable audio and video out solution. Assuming that the composite video as sync is fixed by the cap flip for those using HD Retrovision cables.