PCE Super SD System 3 - Terraonion New Product (Dec 2017)

skel28

n00b
Hey guys, so I just tried it with my Genesis 2 to scart cable and the image is all yellow. I assume this means my scart cable is bad? I haven't tested the cable on anything else before. The scart converter I know is good because I use that with my Genesis 1, and I know the TG-16 is good because the image looks correct with rf out.

View attachment 49527

Looks to me like there's no blue there, have you tried reseating the cable and the console in the SSD3 also?

Guys ... for those asking for RGB cables ... i know , it's very hard to read some pages from the past ... but , everytime will be a "but" ... If you wanna a proper RGB scart cable ... try one from RGC ( Retro gaming cables ) - PUCKAPUNCH version ! i'm using those for some console i've got until now ! So , it's very easy to find one if you are lucky on a point (because they make periodically preorders update). I know , maybe one of you consider i'm one of the seller promoter... i'm not , i'm just happy with those and they making a great job ! So , try those without any thought about the quality , because the quality of that products are top ! I wish you a great weekend all ! :)

Ps : Unmodded Corergrafx II with CSYNC PackAPunch - genesis 2 cable (Sega Mega Drive 2 / Genesis 2 CABLE) on 1st SSS3 revision board !

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
After reading the positive reports on the Packapunch cables I went ahead and got one yesterday. Originally they were out of stock but I was told to check back later in the day and I got lucky.

xwred5

n00b
If you are in the USA, it's usually 3+ weeks to get your packapunch order. I just ordered one Friday for my first AES I just picked up on Ebay (great now I need to buy a NeoSD....)

I got down the slippery slope of RGB gaming within the last year. I get all my cables as packapunch from RGC. I figure after dropping $$ on an ossc, gscartsw, super sd system 3, and various console mods, why stop at the cable? Weird stuff happens with analog signals...

Looks to me like there's no blue there, have you tried reseating the cable and the console in the SSD3 also?

Good call, I removed the SSD3 and saw two pins were bent on the TG-16 side! Bent those back, reinstalled and it's all good to go now. Thank you!IMG_20180331_104535.jpg

neosd

Neosd Developer
Yes, that another thing I forgot to mention. If your using a TG-16 take the SSD3 out of the shell to fit it to the console otherwise you will bend pins.

I don´t think this is a good idea, you may end killing ssds3 pcb with static.

Just insert the super sd system 3 slow at first (to align it with the conector), and apply more preasure once its aligned.

nevets14

n00b

Just insert the super sd system 3 slow at first (to align it with the conector), and apply more preasure once its aligned.

Tried this 3 times. It will not line up correctly with a TG-16. I just take it out of the shell and fit it to the console, then put the shell back on.

comp1demon

n00b
Tried this 3 times. It will not line up correctly with a TG-16. I just take it out of the shell and fit it to the console, then put the shell back on.

We need someone to create a 3d printed shell for the TG16 and put it on thingsverse.

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
It definitely fits in the tg16 with the casing. I never had any issues fitting mine on there.

For all the people talking about the cables being the issue, a cable from RGC or retro access are basically going to be the same quality. They both sell shielded cables for the basic versions and the packapunch and coaxial shielded from retro access are the same things as well.

Basically if you get a cable from either of these sellers and go with the standard or the upgraded coaxial versions, you can rule out the cable being the issue.

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug

Neosd is correct, especially considering they designed this. Everytime you take the board out of the casing you have a high risk of killing the ARM processor.

nevets14

n00b

Hey neosd, Any fix for the SD card buzz? Did you guys notice the buzz in testing?

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
It doesn't take 3 weeks to get a cable from RetroGamingCables. I ordered a PACKAPUNCH cable on Sunday, and it should be here the day after tomorrow based on tracking info. Just don't cheap out and get shitty shipping.

legolas119

Rugal's Thug
Hi guys, i have a couple of questions:

1) I bought the Hori Fighting pad, like this: https://www.ebay.com/p/PC-Engine-PC...-Button-Controller-Boxed-Japan-NEC/1229792787 But it doens't work with the flashcard. Is it normal? Only the original 2 button joypad works fine. Unfortunately i don't have any original game so i can't try it with an original cd or hue card. I bought it months ago in a ebay shop, I know that shop and usually they sent me items in perfect conditions.I bought from that shop the console too (perfect) and the original 2 button joypad (in perfect conditions too). But i don't know if in this case the 6 button joypad has problems or not. I think that he tried the joypad before to send it to me...do you know about issues related to this joypad?

2) I downloaded a cd game in this format (it is castlevania translated in english): https://s14.postimg.org/rak42x5u9/Immagine3.png
How can i use it in the flashcard? Have I to trasnform the wav file or the iso file in another file format?

thanks

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Nevermind

Last edited:

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug

1) I bought the Hori Fighting pad, like this: https://www.ebay.com/p/PC-Engine-PC...-Button-Controller-Boxed-Japan-NEC/1229792787 But it doens't work with the flashcard. Is it normal? Only the original 2 button joypad works fine. Unfortunately i don't have any original game so i can't try it with an original cd or hue card. I bought it months ago in a ebay shop, I know that shop and usually they sent me items in perfect conditions.I bought from that shop the console too (perfect) and the original 2 button joypad (in perfect conditions too). But i don't know if in this case the 6 button joypad has problems or not. I think that he tried the joypad before to send it to me...do you know about issues related to this joypad?

2) I downloaded a cd game in this format (it is castlevania translated in english): https://s14.postimg.org/rak42x5u9/Immagine3.png
How can i use it in the flashcard? Have I to trasnform the wav file or the iso file in another file format?

thanks

6 button pads are known to have issues when used with games that dont support them. Usually you have a switch that switched between 3 button and 6 button mode on the pad.

The CD game will work as is. Just put the folder on the sd card and go.

neosd

Neosd Developer

thanks

The original NEC AVENUE 6 buttons pad works fine, this is the one i use myself.
NECavnue6pad.jpg

I can´t think about any reason why super sd system 3 would affect to a controller usage ....

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Most of the controllers need the contacts cleaned due to their age. Check that too.

legolas119

Rugal's Thug
hi, thank guys.
Castlevania works, good.

Speaking about the joypad, the issue was related to the START button only (i didn't notice it because at the beginning of the game, i saw that the game didn't work but only the START button has an issue).
Now I tried it again, in 2 button mode, and it seems that works: i only blow on contacts. It seems that it is needed to push slightly hard the START button in order to transimit the command to the game (all the others buttons work correctly). Do you suggest to open the joypad and check the START button? or simply can I clean contacts with same product I use to clean contact of Super Nes/Megadrive cartridge?

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
hi, thank guys.
Castlevania works, good.

Speaking about the joypad, the issue was related to the START button only (i didn't notice it because at the beginning of the game, i saw that the game didn't work but only the START button has an issue).
Now I tried it again, in 2 button mode, and it seems that works: i only blow on contacts. It seems that it is needed to push slightly hard the START button in order to transimit the command to the game (all the others buttons work correctly). Do you suggest to open the joypad and check the START button? or simply can I clean contacts with same product I use to clean contact of Super Nes/Megadrive cartridge?

You need to open up the controller, clean the conductive rubber pads with rubbing alcohol, and clean the contacts on the PCB with a white eraser. This is normal maintenance for old game controllers.

SavagePencil

Crazed MVS Addict
Any ideas on how we can fix the audio buzz? It’s present—if less pronounced—even on HuCard games. Case in point: With the stock composite cable + RCA audio plugged in while playing Aldynes, I get no buzz. Swapping over to the PackAPunch cable thru the SSSD3, I get an audible buzz. When running a CD ROM, the buzz modulates with SD access.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Hey guys, so I just tried it with my Genesis 2 to scart cable and the image is all yellow. I assume this means my scart cable is bad? I haven't tested the cable on anything else before. The scart converter I know is good because I use that with my Genesis 1, and I know the TG-16 is good because the image looks correct with rf out.

View attachment 49527

I am guessing you are using one of the "crazy" cables I have - where the plastic of the miniture DIN connector is really bulky,meaning you cannot push it all the way into the socket on the SSDS3 properly. Could we see a photo of your cable connector? Looks like you are missing a colour or two. The banding there seems to suggest that maybe the ground is not making a good connection either, or perhaps the cable isn't shielded properly.