pc engine duo or sega cd.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Here's a weird note...

I had a burnt copy of Lords of Thunder. Worked 100% on my Gen 1 Sega CD, Gen 2 and my X'Eye. Wouldn't work on a friend's CDX...it wouldn't play the audio tracks (the game worked fine other than that).

To this day, still not sure what that was all about.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
If it is based on just the CD systems, a PC Engine Duo would be the one. The library outclasses the Mega CD's by miles. If we're talking about getting an MD & MCD and a PCE & CD system, it would be a more even fight...with the Megadrive possibly winning out over the PCE.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Here's a weird note...

I had a burnt copy of Lords of Thunder. Worked 100% on my Gen 1 Sega CD, Gen 2 and my X'Eye. Wouldn't work on a friend's CDX...it wouldn't play the audio tracks (the game worked fine other than that).

That's weird....
Some ppl told me that if you have burnt Sega CD or PCE CD, use lowest speed to burn as CD ROM technology wasn't that advance in 90s. They suggest to burn at 4X speed.
Not sure if that's correct information or not...................

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
That's weird....
Some ppl told me that if you have burnt Sega CD or PCE CD, use lowest speed to burn as CD ROM technology wasn't that advance in 90s. They suggest to burn at 4X speed.

yeah...I cannot recall what the lowest speed I could write on my old iMac was...but I used it.

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
That's weird....

The quality of the disc, the condition of the system laser and caps have a big impact on CDR playback on old systems.

The PC Engine Duo is notorious for being bad at reading CDRs, partly due to lasers that go bad over time and from 80 minute discs going beyond the seek range of the laser assembly.

On a CDX it could just be the disc, the burner speed or the CDX itself having issues reading CDRs. I have an X'eye that has similar issues reading CDRs even after replacing the laser with a new one from SegaStyle.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
If we are strictly talking PCE CD vs mega CD then PCE CD takes it no question. If we take into account MD carts and PCE Hueys, then its harder, but i would still lean towards PCE. In the end try to get both and get everdrives and CDRs. Best of both worlds.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Here's a weird note...

Sometimes certain systems just hate certain brands of CDR. I was trying to make a burn of Final Fight CD last year using the arcade color patch and I could not get it to work. I thought it was the patching process, and my test system was a Sega CD 2, which normally loves CDRs. As it turns out, it hated the brand of CDR. The same CDR worked on a different Sega CD2. When I switched brands the disc worked fine in both.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Sometimes certain systems just hate certain brands of CDR. I was trying to make a burn of Final Fight CD last year using the arcade color patch and I could not get it to work. I thought it was the patching process, and my test system was a Sega CD 2, which normally loves CDRs. As it turns out, it hated the brand of CDR. The same CDR worked on a different Sega CD2. When I switched brands the disc worked fine in both.

Interesting...

I wonder if the CD manufacturing world of the early 1990's had more strict QC production...or if Sega used one maker for their discs.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Well, don't forget that CDRs didn't even exist (or were so expensive as to not even consider them) when most of these systems came out. I recall a lot of people with early CD players in their cars also had issues because they couldn't read CDRs back in the day.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Well, don't forget that CDRs didn't even exist (or were so expensive as to not even consider them) when most of these systems came out. I recall a lot of people with early CD players in their cars also had issues because they couldn't read CDRs back in the day.

I worked at a music store back in 1995...if I can remember correctly, a CD-R back then was $10/pop (not counting the high cost of the writer). Hardly worth messing with...and that was even if you had the tech to rip something as complicated as a Sega CD game back then.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I worked at a music store back in 1995...if I can remember correctly, a CD-R back then was $10/pop (not counting the high cost of the writer). Hardly worth messing with...and that was even if you had the tech to rip something as complicated as a Sega CD game back then.

The technology was there, but most people were focused on copying PSX games. Some friends and I bought a $1,000 burner in college and yeah CDRs were around $10, I remember ordering in bulk of like 50 and they were closer to around $8. Anyway, at that time nobody cared about the Sega CD anymore, but it was possible. It was likely just cheaper to go to Funco or whatever and buy games dirt cheap.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
I'm just as excited to get this + a Duo R as I am to get a PS4 sometime next year. I wish Santa Claus still visited once a year.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
There's only one correct choice

obeypcenigne.jpg

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer

Yeah, the crazy prices were definitely a drawback. Sega even produced special Mega-CDRs for use with the Sega/Mega CD and some Saturn projects. They're quite interesting to look at :P