PC Chairs: Which are good?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I am in serious need of a PC chair. I spend so much time at my pc doing school work that I'm starting to develop pain in my neck and between my shoulder blades.

I need something with some serious ergonomics, that will support my ugly melon for many, many, hours a week. Must have a head rest, preferably a pillow type so my head isn't lying straight back. Lumbar support would be almost as important as well.

I've hear nothing but good things about these DX Racer chairs. But I don't want to drop $250.00 if I'm just buying a brand name. I would be more than happy with a plain ass chair that just works if it's cheaper.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
I have an Osgood, its done well so far (5 months or so). I'd just head into a Staples and sit in a few chairs, see what suits you.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I've had a single Aeron chair for 15 years.
They list for $800, but I'm the only person I know that has had the same computer chair for over a decade. You can usually find some deals for them locally or online.

There are lots of spare parts at office furniture stores. My seat is just now starting to show some wear.

fake

15 Year Member
Eh, I had an Aeron chair at work. It definitely wasn't worth the $800 but whatever - the company paid for it. I have a fake Aeron that I got for $80 that's almost as comfy. That's what I use at my gaming desk. I just use a $30 task chair for my audio / Mac desk. That said, I've yet to find an office / desk chair that's actually relaxing to sit in.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
I found a chair the neighbors were throwing out. They're both doctors, it looked good, no rips, minimal dog hair. She's good enough.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I found a chair the neighbors were throwing out. They're both doctors, it looked good, no rips, minimal dog hair. She's good enough.

I keep looking but every time I think I'm going to score it's fucking shit.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Australian chairs are probably full of spiders, have been puked on by drunk Irish tourists, and were smuggled into the country as cocaine mules by Chinese immigrants.

Advance Australia Fair!

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Good for you for getting on this. You can have crazy problems later because of bad posture and computer time. Raise your monitor and learn to type without looking, lol. Keep your head up. I've got wrist and shoulder issues that will be with me for life. If i could stay off of my phone, maybe I'll be able to use my right thumb in 10 years, lol

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Good for you for getting on this. You can have crazy problems later because of bad posture and computer time. Raise your monitor and learn to type without looking, lol. Keep your head up. I've got wrist and shoulder issues that will be with me for life. If i could stay off of my phone, maybe I'll be able to use my right thumb in 10 years, lol

Hopefully I haven't done too much permanent damage already. I feel good for the most part, but sometimes my neck and between my shoulder blades hurt when I have to pound out homework a few days in a row on the PC. I've already upgraded to a more ergonomic mouse, and a mat with a wrist rest, and a mechanical keyboard with wrist rest, so that helps a lot. Since getting those I have had no arm strain, and right sided neck pain where my right shoulder meets my neck.

Definitely going to raise my monitor, I never thought of that.

Once I get this chair hopefully things will be much better. Going to have to start making a point to get up every hour to walk and stretch once my next semester starts.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Once I get this chair hopefully things will be much better. Going to have to start making a point to get up every hour to walk and stretch once my next semester starts.

My job became more of a desk job about 5 years ago now - about 3 months in I had put on 20lbs and my legs would feel "tired" from really mundane lifting of things. I made a point right there that I would hand deliver every piece of paper. Everyone else uses inter-office mail for various reports and HR paperwork, etc. It isn't much, but it guarantees i'm up and walking at least 30 mins each day (accounting is a 5 min walk, HR about 7 mins).

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
My job became more of a desk job about 5 years ago now - about 3 months in I had put on 20lbs and my legs would feel "tired" from really mundane lifting of things. I made a point right there that I would hand deliver every piece of paper. Everyone else uses inter-office mail for various reports and HR paperwork, etc. It isn't much, but it guarantees i'm up and walking at least 30 mins each day (accounting is a 5 min walk, HR about 7 mins).

I'm sure it helps a lot.

I really think the only thing that has kept me from having more damage already is the amount I walk at work. I generally log 12-15 miles on my pedometer a day maybe 2 to 2.5 days a week. Plus pushing admitted patients to the floor, and back from triage to a room and getting them settled in bed.

Sometimes I do have to sit though and watch psychiatric patients for an entire 12 hour shift, which honestly isn't too bad. They keep me busy so I am constantly up, and my computer on wheels can raise up, so anymore I alternate standing for 4 hours, and sitting for one. The more I stand though the less I really want to sit lately, but I think that's from pounding out at the keyboard from school, and being hunched over a desk doing math all day.

The really had part is when I have to do unit clerk. I have to watch 6 PC's that are at least 2 ft over my head, plus answer 2 phones located kinda behind me on the side, and then answer call lights for 100 rooms on another touch monitor that I have to wheel over to, to reach. It's the most un-ergonomic job I have ever performed. Our chairs are horrible. Really hard with the padding long flattened, and can't raise my desk up.

I completely understand the "tired" from sitting too long. That job I can literally feel killing me slowly physically and mentally, but management refuses to get better chairs because someone deemed that the setup is ok. Unfortunately I get put there a lot not because it sucks so bad even the lazy people who want to sit on their asses all day refuse to do it because it's so stressful.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Australian chairs are probably full of spiders, have been puked on by drunk Irish tourists, and were smuggled into the country as cocaine mules by Chinese immigrants.

Advance Australia Fair!

have you lived here before or something?

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Eh, I had an Aeron chair at work. It definitely wasn't worth the $800 but whatever - the company paid for it. I have a fake Aeron that I got for $80 that's almost as comfy. That's what I use at my gaming desk. I just use a $30 task chair for my audio / Mac desk. That said, I've yet to find an office / desk chair that's actually relaxing to sit in.

15 years and going.... that's what makes the Aeron different.
It's not my most comfortable chair, but it's been the most durable. Most people i know buy a $100-$200 chair every other year. Not me.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I need to upgrade, i still have the same chair i bought at Office Depot 14years ago. It had a built in massager that i never used but the chair itself was pretty comfortable.

I've seen those PC racing chairs & from the videos they dont look comfortable at all, despite what those dudes who get paid says. I dont mind forking out on a quality chair but i need to test it out first.

I should have went with this, instead of an L Shape desk.

2103239-gamechair.gif

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
have you lived here before or something?

I live in Ireland man. Half of this country has left for OZ or NZ in the past 10 years. All you hear off of people are Australia stories.

Mind, a good portion of the half that goes down there, doesn't come back. They get jobs, they settle down, meet a girl, game over.