Parents getting old...

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
Ever get to that point when you feel your parents are getting old?

I just did, and it makes me feel...less young too.

Until now, I always felt my parents were really vigorous. A couple of days ago I noticed my dad (pushing 60+) walking with...you know that look...croaked back and stiff legs. He's also been getting grumpy as of late. Bothering himself with fucking Trump (yeah, he's considered being a loon in Sweden) and Putin (yeah, he's considered being a loon in Sweden) even though it's as far away as he's ever fucking get to them ever. I tell him to not give a fuck and relax.

Is it all down hill from this?

What are your experiences of parents getting old?

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I find my parents bicker more as they get older. A lot of paranoia and hysteria seem to be sneaking in too. They are going overseas on a holiday for the first time ever soon, opened up a separate bank account with only $500 in it because they are paranoid they will get scammed. Tried to explain that they are protected by credit laws and will get reimbursed if something happens but no..

They started to use computers recently, I explain to them how to use it but they always come up with some weird problem and blame the computer...it's never them..

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
My Dad is 84 and my Mom is 78. Dad is holding up pretty well for his age, but can't walk long distances like he used to. He uses computers and a tablet I got for him. My Mom is 78 and had cancer 6 years ago and started Alzheimers 4 years ago. She has trouble getting around and has to use a walker and has bladder problems. My Dad takes care of her, but I go visit them in the country as much as I am able and help him take care of her.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I gave my mom 5 grand and told her to get married because I can't take care of her from so far away.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I'm nothing, but I realize that at a certain age marriages are less about love and more about stability. I tried so hard back home, you've no idea. I wish I was a better son and brother.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Ever get to that point when you feel your parents are getting old?

I just did, and it makes me feel...less young too.

Until now, I always felt my parents were really vigorous. A couple of days ago I noticed my dad (pushing 60+) walking with...you know that look...croaked back and stiff legs. He's also been getting grumpy as of late. Bothering himself with fucking Trump (yeah, he's considered being a loon in Sweden) and Putin (yeah, he's considered being a loon in Sweden) even though it's as far away as he's ever fucking get to them ever. I tell him to not give a fuck and relax.

Is it all down hill from this?

What are your experiences of parents getting old?
Illness is what I witnessed. It sucks.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I'm nothing, but I realize that at a certain age marriages are less about love and more about stability. I tried so hard back home, you've no idea. I wish I was a better son and brother.

You're a terrific member, maybe it'll bleed into those other two? Yet, let's hope, that one doesn't determine the other.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
My parents aren't that old yet, thankfully.

My grandparents are younger than Greg's parents.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I've seen a lot of folk get older and with some, their mental faculties begin to deteriorate due to dementia or other problems.
It's a very sobering thing to see all the variations of old age that could very well be you in 35 years.

My mother isn't too far from those age ranges, so I sometimes worry about her. It doesn't help that she refuses to get re-married.
It's always a good idea to have a plan to deal with that possibility that they won't be able to care for themselves. It'll be much harder to make a plan when it gets too late.
The system is pretty impenetrable, but there are ways to do research into care homes if you know who to call and what to ask for. Same for in-home care services.

Thankfully, she's still pretty damn sharp and stays active, so I probably won't have to worry to much for another 10-15 years.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
My Dad is 84 and my Mom is 78. Dad is holding up pretty well for his age, but can't walk long distances like he used to. He uses computers and a tablet I got for him. My Mom is 78 and had cancer 6 years ago and started Alzheimers 4 years ago. She has trouble getting around and has to use a walker and has bladder problems. My Dad takes care of her, but I go visit them in the country as much as I am able and help him take care of her.

As much as we all take the piss, that's a shitty deal you've got there and you do what you can. It's zero fun being around people with alzheimers.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Time to marry a sibling I guess.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member

awwwwwwwww come here give me a hug

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Joking aside, that's an admirable thing to do for one of your parents.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Has anyone here ever thought about putting their parent(s) in a home.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
As much as we all take the piss, that's a shitty deal you've got there and you do what you can. It's zero fun being around people with alzheimers.

My mom is still kinda sharp. She remembers how to spell words and her past. Sometimes she doesn't recognize where she is and doesn't talk when you speak to her.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
It's worse when one of them dies. You'll start to wonder more about when you'll go. On the plus side, there's always the chance you'll be reunited afterwards.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
It's a scary thought. My mom is showing signs of dementia and my father has a bad back. They want me to move back home and let my gf live with us, but I just feel like that is going backwards in life. I do visit them every week for half a day and enjoy my time with them, but I'm now totally preparing myself for the day I may lose 1 or both of them.