Panasonic Q: Reads no games but DVDs

apus

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Hi,

today I received a modded Pana-Q. I fired it up with a DVD. Works. I fired it up with a game. Didnt work. It always display "Insert disk" and wont read the one I insert. This cube is modded (with the 12C508A MC) and the switch itself (jap/us) works fine (at least it displays another language after holding down Power for about 3-5 sec).

I tested with:

Sonic Mega Collection (us)
Demo Disc (us)

I never heard about any laser problems with the Q. So, what could be the problem? Does someone else encountered a similar problem?

Greets & Thanks

Dennis

O

oceanvein

the little fan on it went out, see if it needs to be replaced or has any wires loose!

good luck

apus

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
The fan runs fine (from what I can see and hear...)

O

oceanvein

bah, that was a easy fix, try lik-sang.com and see if they have replacement set for the lens. if not you can email them with your request.

good luck!

apus

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
What do you mean by "That was a easy fix?".

And also I am not quite sure if the lens is broken. I dont want to order a new lens only to find out that this was not the problem.

O

oceanvein

the fans on the q's and cubs are easliy replaced. and alot of times this has been the problems with them.

have you opened it up and seen if anythings strange.

Howdoin

, Le BLING-BLING!,
If the DVD works I do not see how it could be the lens ? Don't DVDs and Games use the same lens?

Anyway it probably is a problem with the fan which is a common problem on Q. Just open is up and make sure no cable is stuck in the fan or that there is not too much dust inside.

apus

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
If I see and hear the fan running, how could it be the fan? Also, in DVD mode, the fan is shut down. If I enter GAME-Mode its started up.

Anonther thing that the seller wrote in his selling thread is that he has replaced the fan shortly before shipping.

Still :spock:

O

oceanvein

then it is a fan problem. did he say it worked 100%?
there might have been a wire or something come loose or get caught in shipping, id open it and see.
so if he has had to replace the fan that means the fan has gone out before causeing games to not work, hmm. well if you open it up you can tell if the fan is install correctly and if anything has been gone arry, in worse case senerio you will be able to tell if its a new fan or not.

good luck!

apus

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I dis-assembled it, checked connections, still no game loads up. The fan runs, and runs, and ...

:(

apus

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
It runs fine and its clean as hell (the whole system is clean as hell). Believe me, its not the fan this time..

RVF400

Host for Orochi
sounds like the PS2 problem!, but panasonic have fantastic build quality, perhaps try a JAP game maybe the region switch is fucked.

O

oceanvein

its the buyers responsibility to fix it, what the hell was that screw driver noise?

apus

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
The buyers has the responsibility to fix items that were sold as 100% ok? That´s maybe the world you want to live in, not me :loco:

The noise was the hold and release of the fan obviously.

Greets

Dennis

O

oceanvein

mine has never made that noise, the loud screwdriver noise you hear when you first turn it on, is the fan?

apus

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Yup, thats the fan. I think the sound is a bit distorted due to the bad mic in the digicam :annoyed:

O

oceanvein

it cant be the lens cause they run off the same lens.

hmm. :spock:

this is very strange in deed

RVF400

Host for Orochi
like i said try a jap game, maybe its locked onto JAP mode, when u insert a foriegn disc into a cube it always says insert disc!, TRY IT BEFORE DOING SURGERY!

apus

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I said above it switches the language if I press the power button for 5 seconds. Does someone has read the initial posting?! :glee:

The thing with the jap. game if definitive a thing to try out. I got the same idea earlier. I hope tomorrow I can visit a friend who owns a jap. cube.

apus

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Hi,

Today I received a jap. game. It failed to start. I disassembled the mod-chip, still failed to start.

I disassembled the whole system (now THAT was a pain in the ass) checked every plug, still the jap. game does not load. And yes, the fan is ON.

The jap. game runs fine in another cube.

So I think the system is at least not fixable by me. Thanks for your comments. I hope the seller will take it back :(.

Greets

Dennis

RVF400

Host for Orochi
sorry to hear that man, it sucks when something really deep inside the system goes wrong and theres nothing logical anyone can do to fix it, much like the neo cds. well hopefully a clever engineer can fix it for you :)

apus

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Heh, I would be happier if the seller would take it back but I think he wont.

Another question for out Q owners: Does your system make a *clack* *clack* -sound when you power it on in GAME-Mode or you insert a disk? Or does it sound like "normal" reading?

Greets

Dennis