PAD vs JOYSTICK

Pep

Genjuro's Frog
20 Year Member
Hi,

1.-How many of you do play their home systems with a Neo Pad instead of a Joystick?

2.-If you play using a Joystick which one do you prefer, old style or new style?

3.- Do you think that Neo Pads were a wise idea?

Personally I use to play with the pad. Years ago I was used to Joysticks, when I played my MSX computer, Neo Geo and other further ports. But with my PSX I got used to play with pads, and now it is very hard for me to use a Joystick again, I should try to get used to it again because the C+D hits are a nuisance to be made with the pad.

BTW: Wasabi make a poll with these questions if you think it could be interesting.

Thanks

SSS

neo retired
I started using the pad, because I have not been to arcades for years. Had to get used to using the stick all over again. Now I play using the Hori Fighting Stick.

Jashin

New Challenger
I use a stick for Neo games, despite having used joypads for years with other systems. The sticks are perfect for fighting games, much to my surprise (I find sticks in the arcades very difficult to use). I used to struggle with several movements on a pad which are far more natural feeling on the stick.

Also, despite some of the bad press that the newer style stick seems to attract, I quite like it. Not as much as the original, but not far off.

thundr51

Bead Banger
I think it depends on what type of game you're playing. If i'm playing Magical drop or Metal Slug, i'll pull out the pads, but for the fighters, gotta pull out the sticks.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I absolutely hate the pad.

The thumbstick works on the NGPC, but not for the NG home system, in my opinion.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
For some games (i. e. most sports/future sports titles), the pads are quite okay. I like to use them with Super Sidekicks 3 or NGC98, Soccer Brawl or Trash Rally, but I never play fighters or shooters with it.

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
It all depends on the game. For Fighters and most other games I use the old style joystick (I hate the new style bean-shaped stick). For shooters (Blazing Star) I have to use the pad because otherwise after about 20-30 minutes of playing my right hand is in a lot of pain from constantly pressing the button (yes I'm a wuss). frown

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
I play all fighters with a Joystick,
and all non-fighters with the cd-pad.

Tetsuo311

King's Dry Cleaner
thundr51:
I think it depends on what type of game you're playing. If i'm playing Magical drop or Metal Slug, i'll pull out the pads, but for the fighters, gotta pull out the sticks.
I'm ThE EXact OppOsiTe :p

Ignition

Geese's Thug
Well I have a MVS so I have no choice. I prefer joystick for fighters. They were meant to be played with the joystick. A true fighter uses a joystick for fighters all the time. IT's only most mainstream that use the pads for fighters.

Galford Forever

Krizalids Fashion Designer
I've never even seen the new joysticks or pads :(. I've only ever had the older sticks for the Neo, which I love. I really only use my home-built joystick or the one I got from MAS 7 years ago (that thing was well built!).

daybona

Juz,
Sticks, IMO are the best. Not only do I prefer to play with Sticks, but I the neo geo stick is my favorite controller of all home systems. Also the feeling of confidence you get when you step into an arcade is much better.

I use a MAS Arcade Stick, so yes I do prefer joysticks to D-pads, but I think that D-pads are a good idea, because some people just can't handle a joystick... :)

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Old-style Neo sticks own everyone 4 fr33.
Everytime another goes up for sale on EBay I'm tempted to hoard them all. They're so dope. Durable as fuck too. I have yet to see another mass-produced stick that rivals them in quality.

L

less than joseph

Loopz:
Everytime another goes up for sale on EBay I'm tempted to hoard them all. They're so dope. Durable as fuck too. I have yet to see another mass-produced stick that rivals them in quality.
Agreed. Nothing beats the sweet clicking goodness of an old style joystick.

EVIL NICK

ALL CAPS,
20 Year Member
Ignition:
Well I have a MVS so I have no choice. I prefer joystick for fighters. They were meant to be played with the joystick. A true fighter uses a joystick for fighters all the time. IT's only most mainstream that use the pads for fighters.
Yes you do, all you need is a main board that has controller ports ( MV-1 or MV-1F, off the top of my head, I think there's also others ).

On topic: I'm a stick player myself, but a rather finicky one... while I did like the stick of the old style, I didn't like the buttons too much...
I prefer a "Ultimate" pushbuttons - the concave ones as opposed to the Neo's convex ones wink

I would even want to change the stick on my cab to be a Jap type ( ball and stick ) instead of the baseball bat type that it has now, but then I probably wouldn't be able to play in arcades anymore wink

My brother is a pad person, but he prefers a PSX pad for Neo fighters, in this config:

AB
CD

He doesn't like the pad too much, and neither do I...

The thumbstick is way too "loose" , meaning it has too much travel... frown

Parallax

Ninja Combat Warrior
I have an MVS setup with controller ports. I just recently bought a pad. I like it The thumb stick sucks but the pad takes be back to when I used to play fighters on my SNES; plus I like being able pull up my computer chair, sit back and play neo. somthing I havn't been able to do unlike you AES owners.

SSS

neo retired
Loopz:
Hori Fighting Stick. Great button placement, smooth joystick. Rapid fire for shooters. Durable construction (metal face and bottom). The only thing negative I've heard is that they tend to rust a little. Though mine is fine.

Chatterer

Rugal's Thug
well, Having 2 button arcade machines in the garage seem to help more when using the stick.
Although, the Neo stick can be hard since the buttons are quite spaced out (and there are 4) , i guess the Pad is good for some games, and the Stick for others.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
Loopz:
Actually I think the sticks are too small for me. I use a MAS stick because the buttons feel better as well as the joystick feels stronger. More precise than the old style and new style style sticks. I personally think both blow as far as the joystick itself goes.

Tsuyugasumi

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I have a Joypad, but I never use it? I find that it has too much travel in its movement & is very inaccurate for fighters? annoyed
So the stick it is for me!

I would really like to get one of my Saturn / MD pads modded tho! As I far prefer them to any other style of Stick/Pad, then my sticks would be redundant! eek!

Stephane

Boss Hogg,
i play with my old style joystick, because basically i m a arcade player, and dont want lost my skill with a pad :) i play like that with 15 years, for fighting games, that s the best !
i played many fighter witha pad too, only that s not the same.

For a neo, everyone need to play only with a joystick.

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
I play fighters and 2d shooters with the Hori stick, everything else is pad.

Hori = Ownage