Package stealing thief caught!

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Wednesday was a bad day. I thought I had some packages mis-delivered by the post office. 4 to be exact. One of which was a Samurai Shodown 1 I picked up from Liquid Snake, and a few other Neo Geo games totaling a little over $185.00.

My first clue was that I was suppose to receive 4 packages, and one had signature confirmation, which I never received a slip for to pick up. I was able to pick this one up in person. This led me to the conclusion, that all my mail that day was delivered to the wrong address.

After investigating for a few days, and doing things like checking the exact opposite address on the east side of my street, knocking on doors, and getting GPS tracking from the post office. Which they do now by the way when all packages come up lost and need to be tracked exactly where they are scanned in at. We came to the conclusion, one of the packages in the 4 package lot was was mis-keyed at the post office, and most likely delivered a few roads over.

So while driving to the said house, I realized the address was on campus. I put two and two together, and thought there was a very good chance since it would likely be a broke college student, that they would sell my games to the used game store down the road. I went to the house anyway, but while in transit, called the game store. No one answered in the house, but the road was full of cars, and I could have swore I heard people in there. I eventually gave up and left a note on her door explaining the situation, and to please call or text me if she had any information.

While on the way home I received a call from the game store, my games were there!

Found out they were sold only one hour after having been delivered. While in the shop the lady texted me and insisted she never saw my packages. I told her I would give her the benefit of the doubt, but I found my games at the game store, sold illegally, and if she had any information I would give her 10 minutes to respond, and come buy my games back to avoid filing a police report on culprit.

So I filed a report. The officer actually came pretty fast. Between the clerk at the store, and my pile of evidence consisting of post office print outs, ebay and paypal transactions, the officer decided to let the game shop sell me my games back for the measley $38.00 they paid for them.

Turns out the lady gave them a fake phone number, but they had her photo ID on file at the game store, and her on camera selling my stuff. Her address on the ID was also different, but the officer figured it was her parents address because it was out of Columbus. The chick was dumb enough to text me back at the game shop while the officer was there, so we got her real number.

So, the officer went there, feeling it would be a good place to start. He called me back shortly after stating he found her, even though her ID had a different address than the one the post office gave me.

So to sum up a long story...

BITCH WENT DOWN!

I filed a charge against her, and even though I may never see my $38.00, I got my games back, and hopefully she learned that she is stupid, and should think twice before stealing mail. Thank god I pestered the post office to get the print outs of her real address.

So for future reference. If you have missing mail do the following.

1. Call game stores asap. Tell them to stay on the lookout, and keep checking every day.

2. Go to post office, and if they are unwilling to help, demand GPS scan tracking, and to see how the packages were keyed in. I live at 177 and they keyed in 117 a few roads over. This took several attempts till I found a postal worker that was awesome and willing to help me. Don't give up!

3. Try the exact opposite address if you live on a street that is East/West side.

4. Last resort, knock on doors at random.

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Good to hear this has a good resolution man. Sucks having packages stolen from your door, but that's some diligence on your end.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You're one unlucky fellow. Glad you actually found your games though, you put the effort in that's for sure.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Tell me MS5 arrived OK!

Thankfully yes! I was worried about that the most, and my English Fatal Fury Special. I will leave you feedback shortly.

I know it seems like a lot, but I spent maybe 1.5 hours at the most dealing with the post office/police/driving around knocking on doors. I hadn't yet resorted to knocking on all the doors on my road. If it had been fro a $20.00 game I would have said screw it, but it was almost $200.00 in merchandise.

Pestering the post office till you get the information you need is key, as they normally just say they will follow up and call you, and never do.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Yeah, dealing w/the PO is a pain. There were a couple times I've had the slips in my mailbox for insured/sig items, I go to pick it up and they don't know where it is and tell me to try back later. We had a rash of packages being stolen from our mail room in my building a few years ago, the only thing I ever ended up having stolen was a box of 2.8" floppy disks used on old Smith Corona word processors. I imagine the thief was quote confused upon opening that package. Anyway, glad it all worked out for you and that MS5 is safe and sound.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Game stores can be pretty helpful in lost items. I got my ps3 and 360 stolen a few years back. I went to GameStop and asked if they received a trade in of my list of games. They said yes and I then called the police and had them take my stuff into custody. Turns out it was my dirtbag cousin who trades em in and broke my window. I pressed charges but sadly nothing came of it. Luckily I got my games back though.

I've also had a PC stolen off my porch because UPS thought it was a good idea to leave it out in the open. They replaced the PC for free at least as it was their fault.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Wow......glad to hear you got those games back but had to pay $38 in addition :(

Are those games still in decent condition or not? :crying:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I'm confused why you had to pay anything to get your stolen property back. I would have raised hell and put a block under it.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Hope you got my box ok...

I received them 2 days ago. Going to leave feedback now. I don't think you ever charged me.

I'm confused why you had to pay anything to get your stolen property back. I would have raised hell and put a block under it.

Because when stolen property is sold to a store, like a game or pawn shop, you have to pay the amount the store paid for the merchandise, so they get their money back. Then, "IF" the person is charged, you eventually get reimbursed. I was actually lucky, a lot of the time the police hold "the evidence" until the case is closed. Up to a year sometimes. I was lucky enough to get to buy it back. I had the same issue with a bicycle when I was younger, and was not as fortunate, and went a whole summer without my bike, which sucked because I relied on it to get to my job in high school.

I guess it kind of makes sense, because 1. The store isn't really responsible. and 2. The people would manipulate the system claiming items are stolen, by having a friend trade them in, and then filing a complaint to get the games, back + the trade in cash.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Still, how did 3 packages get "Keyed" wrong?

Second, Why didn't the carrier notice that the addresses were wrong?

Last edited:

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I received them 2 days ago. Going to leave feedback now. I don't think you ever charged me.

Because when stolen property is sold to a store, like a game or pawn shop, you have to pay the amount the store paid for the merchandise, so they get their money back. Then, "IF" the person is charged, you eventually get reimbursed. I was actually lucky, a lot of the time the police hold "the evidence" until the case is closed. Up to a year sometimes. I was lucky enough to get to buy it back. I had the same issue with a bicycle when I was younger, and was not as fortunate, and went a whole summer without my bike, which sucked because I relied on it to get to my job in high school.

I guess it kind of makes sense, because 1. The store isn't really responsible. and 2. The people would manipulate the system claiming items are stolen, by having a friend trade them in, and then filing a complaint to get the games, back + the trade in cash.

This reminds me of CD's story about his games still locked up in an evidence room years after the fact. Wound me up just hearing about it.

Glad you got your games back.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
This reminds me of CD's story about his games still locked up in an evidence room years after the fact. Wound me up just hearing about it.

Glad you got your games back.
This. CDamm's story always generates tears for me. Walking in another man's shoes and all that.

Horrible...

MuppeT

War Room Troll
heart warming story. Hope bitch gets on file with the police and can't land a job someday because of that.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

That's actually not the way it works at all. When the police identify a stolen item in a store it gets confiscated by the police. It is put into evidence lock up and you are only supposed to get your items back once all court/criminal proceedings are finished. The owner of the store is out the money until the case is settled. Typically the theif is order to pay restitution to them.

After having run a GameStop for as long as I did, I had thousands upon thousands of dollars in items confiscated by police. They even added in a program that streamlined the confiscation process for both the company and the police.

Sounds like the officer was doing you a solid by not seizing the items. The store should have eaten the $38 IMO, since they just sold you items that they knew were stolen.

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Good detective work, and glad you had a positive outcome bro. You have a lot more perseverance than I do, I would have probably given up after calling the post office once.

One time my cousin and I went in on a bulk order of pipe tobacco and it was marked as delivered but nothing showed up at his house. So I told him that maybe the dumbass UPS guy delivered it to the same address on the wrong street. Sure enough, 2 blocks to the north on the same street number the packages were right on the doorstep. That was a good day.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
That's actually not the way it works at all. When the police identify a stolen item in a store it gets confiscated by the police. It is put into evidence lock up and you are only supposed to get your items back once all court/criminal proceedings are finished. The owner of the store is out the money until the case is settled. Typically the theif is order to pay restitution to them.

After having run a GameStop for as long as I did, I had thousands upon thousands of dollars in items confiscated by police. They even added in a program that streamlined the confiscation process for both the company and the police.

Sounds like the officer was doing you a solid by not seizing the items. The store should have eaten the $38 IMO, since they just sold you items that they knew were stolen.

Yeah, receiving stolen property is a crime in itself, the store should have given it up for free.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member

Put a sign outside their store that says "Sell your stolen shit here!" and see how long it takes them to figure it out. Maybe add a few more exclamation points to build excitement.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
A guy on KLOV runs a used game store and arcade. He had a break in and someone took a bunch of disc-only playstation games.

Every once in a while, someone will bring one of them in for trade/sell.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Still, how did 3 packages get "Keyed" wrong?

Second, Why didn't the carrier notice that the addresses were wrong?

The weird thing is the miskeyed my package with signature confirmation, but the other 3 we're keyed normal. The postal workers in this area are super shitty, and always different.

As for paying, maybe it's different in Ohio, I don't know. Not the first I've heard that one.