OSSC & Framemeister experiences

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Nerds,

Does anybody here have both the Open Source Scan Converter AND the Framemeister? Contemplating getting the OSSC mostly for lower price. Are there any main advantages that the Framemeister has when compared to the OSSC? What is your general opinion on either/both.
Probably this thread exists somewhere in the vastness of the forum but fuck me, can't be bothered by the search function.

Hopefully one good answer before the thread turns into a toxic fuckatron roast :loco::loco:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
There are lengthy comparisons between the two on the Internets. Learn to use Google you 2003 n00b fuckatron.

Tech&Music

Another Striker
From what I've read when I was considering getting an upscaler (eventually decided against it as I decided to still go with CRTs for authenticity sake), the OSSC has lower input lag (zero or near zero), and is considerably cheaper. Also, it being open source means that even if the current devs drop the project, others can still work with the source code to bring out updates or even newer revision OSSCs. The downsides are that it only does RGB and Component(?), not S-Video or Composite upscaling, so if you want to use it with say, an unmodified NES or N64, you can't, unlike on a Framemeister, and OSSC is less refined than a Framemeister. But you're getting way more value for money, and have a far more future proof device, given the Framemeister as far as I know is proprietary, and discontinued.

-SD-

Camel Slug
Yes, I had both and ended up selling the Framemeister. The OSSC has no discernible lag for me personally and the image seems better too. It also has VGA support which the XRGB is missing.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
The downsides are that it only does RGB and Component(?), not S-Video or Composite upscaling, so if you want to use it with say, an unmodified NES or N64, you can't, unlike on a Framemeister, and OSSC is less refined than a Framemeister. But you're getting way more value for money, and have a far more future proof device, given the Framemeister as far as I know is proprietary, and discontinued.

Yes, I had both and ended up selling the Framemeister. The OSSC has no discernible lag for me personally and the image seems better too. It also has VGA support which the XRGB is missing.

Great, thanks for the info!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I have an OSSC now and I used to have a Framemeister that I sold some time ago. I'm too lazy to type up a full comparison, but basically the Framemeister has a lot more settings to tweak and input options. Also the scanline options look a tad better in 720p resolutions to me. The downside is that it has a bit of input lag. Not much, and it's barely noticeable, but when you add that to the lag of my TV it pushed it into the "I can' play NES on this thing" territory.

The OSSC on the other hand, is a much simpler machine. It also has no input lag, which is why I prefer it. You lose the ability to connect composite or svideo, but you gain the ability to transcode VGA and the component input is much better than the Framemeister. On my TV it doesn't look quite as nice as the Framemeister did, but it still looks great and it's worth the tradeoff for no lag.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
I have an OSSC now and I used to have a Framemeister that I sold some time ago. I'm too lazy to type up a full comparison, but basically the Framemeister has a lot more settings to tweak and input options. Also the scanline options look a tad better in 720p resolutions to me. The downside is that it has a bit of input lag. Not much, and it's barely noticeable, but when you add that to the lag of my TV it pushed it into the "I can' play NES on this thing" territory.

The OSSC on the other hand, is a much simpler machine. It also has no input lag, which is why I prefer it. You lose the ability to connect composite or svideo, but you gain the ability to transcode VGA and the component input is much better than the Framemeister. On my TV it doesn't look quite as nice as the Framemeister did, but it still looks great and it's worth the tradeoff for no lag.

Great, thanks. I'll order one!

madman

The OSSC's lack of composite/svideo is a downer for me, but as Gohan mentioned the xrgb does make some NES games unplayable as we were talking about in chat. Supposedly the xrgb-3 that supports composite/svideo has a very low lag line doubling mode, I need to get off my butt and see if I can notice a difference.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Based on RetroRGB's site, it sounds like the OSSC doesn't scale well to 1080p, but I want to scale to my screen's native resolution. I'd like to wait to get a 4K TV before switching to an OSSC.

All you folks running at 720p/on a 1080p screen seem to be ignoring that the upscale adds lag and the pixels aren't an exact fit to 1080p.

madman

Remember when playing games was about playing games and not going full autistic because the video isn't 100% perfect? Who knows how I ever survived playing my NES over lowly RF when I was a kid or PSX via composite on an old ass Commodore 64 monitor.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
good picture quality is something nice to have, but not nice enough to spend several hunderds on some device.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
good picture quality is something nice to have, but not nice enough to spend several hunderds on some device.

That's easy to say from Europe. Americans were stuck in the dark ages. Until recently they all thought RGB was a branch of Soviet intelligence.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
All you folks running at 720p/on a 1080p screen seem to be ignoring that the upscale adds lag and the pixels aren't an exact fit to 1080p.

My TV doesn't add any appreciable extra lag when scaling progressive content, even straight 240p. It's awful when you give it anything interlaced though, so 480i is out of the question without the OSSC or my DVDO.

Last edited:

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
I own both an OSSC and a Framemeister. I'll be selling the FM soon - on my setup, the OSSC has a noticeably sharper, more colorful picture with less lag. I used to keep the FM around only because my Taito F3 arcade board would only sync with the FM. But I recently got it working on the OSSC using a VGA cable instead of SCART.

Generally, I view the FM as an end-of-life product (no more firmware updates, no more units being manufactured) whereas the OSSC is still being manufactured and gets new firmware updates monthly. Both products would be usurped by an affordable, native 4K upscaler - hopefully someone will make one soon.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Just buy a Raspberry Pi and emulate whatever you were going to upscale.

Nerds.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
This Gaston Faggot loves his Raspberry Pi. He's always 1up'ing it in other threads. Don't know why he's interested in the OSSC or Framemeister.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Yeah I got both as well, and I use the OSSC strictly for gaming, while the FM is for capturing. The OSSC has less lag so it's ideal for a lot of action'y games, but it has some compatibility issues with some monitors and capture devices. The FM is widely compatible, has more image customization options, and works with my capture devices, but I can't stand the lag on it especially for fighting games and shmups.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
That's easy to say from Europe. Americans were stuck in the dark ages. Until recently they all thought RGB was a branch of Soviet intelligence.

Dunno, dreamcast was my first console I connected via scart, only had RF before that.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
This Gaston Faggot loves his Raspberry Pi. He's always 1up'ing it in other threads. Don't know why he's interested in the OSSC or Framemeister.

My thoughts exactly.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
The OSSC's lack of composite/svideo is a downer for me, but as Gohan mentioned the xrgb does make some NES games unplayable as we were talking about in chat.

How can they be unplayable if you're playing them?

myblackamex

NEST Puppet
I have both....... OSSC is a line doubler and Frameister a Scaler thus the reason for Zero lag as mentioned. Frameister can work with just about anything and the OSSC has some compatibility issue. I would think the OSSC will continue to get updates where the Frameister isn't being made anymore thus no more firmware updates. With the Frameister you can try out the FireBrandX profiles but it seems even he is leaning towards the OSSC recently. The OSSC has come a long way and they even make remote overlays for the remote now which make it easier to use.

OSSC seems to be the winner.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I started and ended with an XRGB-3 cause it was good enough

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I have both....... OSSC is a line doubler and Frameister a Scaler thus the reason for Zero lag as mentioned.
The OSSC is a line doubler (multiplies the lines per scan on the fly), and the FM uses a frame buffer (commits the entire frame to ram, does it's processing, then outputs).

They are both "scalers".

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I started and ended with an XRGB-3 cause it was good enough

I kept my 3 & OSSC and sold my Mini. My tv didn't like the signal from the Mini. Just played with the SSS3 through the OSSC without any issues.