Original Galaga Arcade Problem - looks like Nintendo cart on boot

obot64

New Challenger
I was out looking at some arcades and i came across a guy who has an old Galaga cabinet. When we turned it on, the cartridge looked like a nintendo game.

I wonder if this is a small problem or if the Galaga board is completely fried? I know that Galaga boards do cost a pretty penny to buy outright.

Also if anyone is knowledgeable on these old school boards can you direct me to a better source of information (I realize neo-geo might not be the proper place to ask about pre jamma games).

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Take a piccy of the boardset and post it here for opinion on authenticity. There are many bootlegs including Gallag.

It is really other "arcade thread related", but that seems to have gone by the board.

Original Galaga namco or midway board sets are selling for around $ 300 or more, also remember that they run off a.c supply (like pacman) but can be modified easily and also require a jamma adaptor if used in a later cab.

some good info here
http://www.geocities.com/mogomra/galaga/

edit-sorry for the geoshitty link, will fix that soon :confused:

Last edited:

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
Did gallaga come out in playchoice format? I'm wondering if that is a gallaga cab with playchoice hardware inside...

-B

Xavier

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
20 Year Member
Ive got a gallaga board as well when it starts up all I see is zeros everywhere and I hear the blow up sound. It looks like its missing rom #3n mame set #3200a it uses a 732 emprom but two emprom programmers say the chips are blank then when I go to put the code on there it gives me an error message.

Back on topic if you really want the cab and its under $400 id get it. You can always find a arcade company to swap your broken board for a working one for say $150. Or buy one on ebay if it doesnt work then yuo may be able to take the two broken boards and make one working one.

obot64

New Challenger
And old arcade owner told me that the Gallaga '81 might be stuck in test mode, which makes the game look all stupid....

It’s possible that the person selling it hit the test button on accident.