Opinion on home cart boot prices

Hello

Crossed Swords Squire
I'm not 100% if this is the right forum or place for this question but I'm curious. I haven't really heard too many people talk about boot prices and I feel like I get why for the most part. If anyone collects or has bought a boot home cart I would love to hear your opinion. I'm not trying to start any drama/carp. Anyways I have always loved Neo Geo games. Back in the early 2000's prices we're in a different ballpark for the most part. I was able to pick up the CD systems, pocket system home cart system and lastly a super gun. In the years that I collected I think there we're 2 bootlegs that I bought. First was a magical drop 2 bare cart without any thing I'm thinking. Well that was more of a conversion now that I think about it. The next was a metal slug 4 kit boot, thinking I paid 100 bucks right after it came out like a madman. Lord I'm terrible at writhing coherently. What would some one expect to pay for a nice looking conversion of a expensive home cart game. I know this is hard to answer on different levels. Let's say I found a nice magical drop 3 that was advertised as a conversion and looked really close to the real thing. The 3 that I have in my head are Magical Drop,3 Twinkle Star Sprites and prob SVSS though the cart is already pretty expensive so that prob won't ever pop up. Sorry this is so long winded Bobby

Hello

Crossed Swords Squire
Can't edit but maybe conversion is the proper term.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Are you really asking how much counterfeits are going for? I'd understand if you wanted to play Shock Troopers (or any other MVS exclusive) on your home system but if you want to buy straight out counterfeits of official releases just because you can't afford the real thing then I'd suggest you go the MVS route or wait for an AES mutlicart to be released. Supporting booleggers is wrong and it's killing this hobby bro. A lot of good looking counterfeits end up getting sold as the real deal. Many people are getting scammed. This shit must stop. Don't be that guy.

Last edited:

Hello

Crossed Swords Squire
Ahh man Should have went with my gut on that one. So a conversion is a counterfeit, they say conversion to take some of the sting out. Also even if it's advertised as such a mvs game was prob killed and maybe a cheaper hc game as well.

Hello

Crossed Swords Squire
Thanks for opening my thoughts back on this. Back n the day I didn't feel bad one bit buying that cart. Now I'm thinking SHIT I prob had a super and magical drop 2 mvs doesn't cost that much. I know it was wrong on different levels but I don't feel bad about buying the metal slug 4 kit. Well if I had it to do over again I would have just bought the stickers as I value those as much as the game. Man was that game a disappointment to me after loving the first 3.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I just saw a Strikers 1945+ and SHOCK TROOPERS 2 go for 399 USD apiece.That's a good deal for those two imo considering what's involved to make them.
They're (Conversions/boots/) are worth what you're willing to pay and MS4 is MUGEN MADNESS compared to the rest of the series..I was a bit disappointed in part 5 too due to all the content they left out.
BB

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Ahh man Should have went with my gut on that one. So a conversion is a counterfeit, they say conversion to take some of the sting out. Also even if it's advertised as such a mvs game was prob killed and maybe a cheaper hc game as well.

Technically, when speaking of Neo home carts a conversion is when you take the chips from a legit MVS cart and transfer it to a donor home cart. It's kind of a gray area since you're still using real SNK hardware, but is generally frowned upon. These days though, people slap "conversion" on every bootleg instead of calling it a boot.

These days, the bootlegs are very good, and you don't even need to sacrifice original games to do it, they produce their own PCBs, shells, and cases now. And many of these boots cost more than most of the real versions of these games cost just a few years ago, and that's assuming the seller isn't just quietly trying to pass them off as real. If you're going to boot, just get a CMVS and either one of the multicarts or the upcoming flash carts.

There is no good reason for buying a bootleg home cart these days. If you just want to play it, you can get a MVS multicart. If you want to own the real thing, you can usually buy a MVS cart at a fraction of the price. If you want something pretty for your shelf, the boot won't really scratch the itch because you'll know it's a fake, and you should get over it. They're just video games.

Last edited:

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
I'm curious. I haven't really heard too many people talk about boot prices. If anyone collects a boot home cart I would love to hear your opinion. I'm not trying to start any carp. In the early 2000's prices we're in a different ballpark. In the years I think there we're 2 bootlegs that I bought a magical drop 2 bare cart. The next was a metal slug 4 kit boot, thinking I paid 100 bucks right after it came out like a madman. Lord I'm terrible at writhing coherently. Sorry this is so long winded Bobby

b1763edd7272963c2c9f5dd2afc881e042d33d9d7dc965f15e0c69239f76ad9f.jpg

Hello

Crossed Swords Squire
Well I feel like I learned a little about classifying these creations/fakes. I felt tempted and I still have mixed feelings about some things but it's all part of the learning process. Pops used to tell me I came from the school of hard knocks, I don't want you to go through all that. He was tough as nails.

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple
atomikwave boot prices went down for the last months. it seems that everone who desperately wanted to buy one, has one already. a lot of titles that sold for 400 - 500€ a few month ago, are now listed for 250 - 300€.
boots from spain got a little bit more expensive (+ 10%) because the donor pcbs (f.e. ff3) also got a little more expensive.

i dont own any boots.

Yamazaki

Baseball Star Hitter
15 Year Member
NCI is the next hot thing.

I see people paying up to 600$ for SSVS or Blazing Star......

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple
NCI is the next hot thing.

I see people paying up to 600$ for SSVS or Blazing Star......

yes...a few months ago. ssvs is now 300-350..

bs was always around 250, because itエs very easy to get somewhere else...

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
I switched to MVS because prices of AES, even conversions were out of control. I've got 2 boots in my MVS collection but one was free and the other cost me $5.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Funny how conversions turned to be the nobility among forgeries. You have to open those carts and show those boards with all those SNK chips -- just like you do with originals. On the other hand, boots became the lifesaver for real carts -- seems as if the latter own them now.

And prices? They're indeed arranged by those, who are willing to pay them. After all, it's the nature of boots to be reproduced ad lib. Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Conversions are frowned on, people butchering original hardware to make a couple bucks is what it boils down to.

GET A FUCKING JOB

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I'm no fan of conversions either due to the original cart that must be sacrificed. However, I have to ask this question:

If conversions and bootlegs are looked down upon in this scene due to the original hardware gray area, why are options such as virtual console, everdrives and console ports viewed as being any different?

I know second-hand market prices are currently sky high and the scene has come a long way since the NGF conversion days. Since the introduction of consolized mvs units and higher quality home ports, much of the neo library was made accessible to a much wider audience. With so many unofficial hardware options to play neo nowadays: virtual console, console collection ports, pc steam releases, flash carts, conversions, neogeo x, etc, etc; it is surprising to see members support some of the unofficial formats, but be dismissive of others. Of course, every fan will enjoy/support whatever format they wish. I was just curious why some unoffical methods seemed to be supported over others.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I'm no fan of conversions either due to the original cart that must be sacrificed. However, I have to ask this question:

If conversions and bootlegs are looked down upon in this scene due to the original hardware gray area, why are options such as virtual console, everdrives and console ports viewed as being any different?

I know second-hand market prices are currently sky high and the scene has come a long way since the NGF conversion days. Since the introduction of consolized mvs units and higher quality home ports, much of the neo library was made accessible to a much wider audience. With so many unofficial hardware options to play neo nowadays: virtual console, console collection ports, pc steam releases, flash carts, conversions, neogeo x, etc, etc; it is surprising to see members support some of the unofficial formats, but be dismissive of others. Of course, every fan will enjoy/support whatever format they wish. I was just curious why some unoffical methods seemed to be supported over others.

Define "unofficial". Options such as virtual console or steam releases are officially licensed by SNK, allowing them to be compensated for their IPs and continue to operate as a business. Bootlegs do not support the original creator.

If you mean real hardware, there are lots of other affordable options such as neo cd, mvs, multi carts or even neosd.

With these bootlegs you are essentially paying hundreds of dollars for a nice photocopy and a plastic case that will look good on a shelf. If that's the aspect of video games you enjoy the most, then that's a personal decision on you.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Define "unofficial". Options such as virtual console or steam releases are officially licensed by SNK, allowing them to be compensated for their IPs and continue to operate as a business. Bootlegs do not support the original creator.

Neither does the sale of original copies, SNK hasn't seen a single dime from the insane used Neo market over the years.