Opinion: CMVS or AES + Converter?

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
I have an MV-1C. It doesn't have a pretty case, and has a lot of wires sticking out of it from my video scaler project. So, it's a pretty bare CMVS. But it works, and I have a few games for it. I run it in RGB so I am not concerned about encoding video.

Now, I've chanced upon a broken AES that was very easy to fix. It works perfectly. The AES is a very nice console. I'd never held one, so now that I realize it has a nice heft to it and I really like the design.

The Fusion converter looks to be the logical choice here, but it doesn't seem available for people like me who missed out on the indiegogo campaign. Other converters appear to have scaling issues, and there will always be some games that don't work without the MVS backup memory present. The UniBios seems like it won't give me the option of saving settings per game when in MVS mode, which would be irritating.

But still, the AES is nice.

So I'm a little stuck here on what to do here. Do I sell the AES, or the MV-1C? Thoughts on either choice?

EDIT: Ignore me, obviously I should sell this money pit system and just stick to MVS.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Lately, mvs is starting to become a money pit, too.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I like keeping a converter around if I have the home cart system hooked up and not the CMVS and I am too lazy to pull the other system out, and to have as a backup in case the CMVS fails, but a home cart system with a converter is a poor substitute for an actual MVS system. I'd say keep the home cart system, maybe pick up a converter if it's cheap, but you have the skills to easy keep a CMVS maintained so it's not like it's a necessity for you to play it on the home cart system.

nicksbrain

Cheng's Errand Boy
I like keeping a converter around if I have the home cart system hooked up and not the CMVS and I am too lazy to pull the other system out, and to have as a backup in case the CMVS fails, but a home cart system with a converter is a poor substitute for an actual MVS system. I'd say keep the home cart system, maybe pick up a converter if it's cheap, but you have the skills to easy keep a CMVS maintained so it's not like it's a necessity for you to play it on the home cart system.
This.
I bought an AES first, now I have a CMVS that I mainly use. I wouldn't want to miss the AES though...

red impact

Crossed Swords Squire
Heh, if it wasn't so expensive I'd think about it. When I got this AES, I was thinking if I couldn't fix it then that is the sort of thing I'd do, but it was so laughably easy to repair in this case.

Cheers man!

Congrats on the easy fix. I'd say keep the AES as it’s a nice console to have (and probably didn't cost you much in its broken state) and use the CMVS. At least that way you can alternate between the two seeing as game prices keep fluctuating!

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I'd say both have their strong and weak points. For me those are:

MVS strong points:
1. The MVS plays all games, the AES does not play games that require MVS-only hardware
2. MVS games are generally less expensive
3. MVS returns to menu on multicarts keeping start pressed 5 seconds. For whatever reason, AES+converter does not.
4. No scaling issues on any game

AES strong points:
1. You have a real AES console :)
2. AES has real memory card slot, not all MVS boards do (1-slot don't, AFAIK).

I have both. I use mainly the Omega CMVS, and almost all the carts I have are MVS (play them using Magic Key MVS converter on the AES, no scaling issues) but it's nice to have the AES with the NeoSaveMasta :)

Regards.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
I'd say both have their strong and weak points. For me those are:

MVS strong points:
1. The MVS plays all games, the AES does not play games that require MVS-only hardware
2. MVS games are generally less expensive
3. MVS returns to menu on multicarts keeping start pressed 5 seconds. For whatever reason, AES+converter does not.
4. No scaling issues on any game

AES strong points:
1. You have a real AES console :)
2. AES has real memory card slot, not all MVS boards do (1-slot don't, AFAIK).

I have both. I use mainly the Omega CMVS, and almost all the carts I have are MVS (play them using Magic Key MVS converter on the AES, no scaling issues) but it's nice to have the AES with the NeoSaveMasta :)

Regards.

Pretty solid break-down. But, as a student in growing debt I just don't think it would be responsible of me to have two expensive game systems I don't need, and AES games still are quite expensive. I think the CMVS is the way to go. I have no plans of using a multi-cart until one is developed that has proper level shifting buffers on the I/O lines, so games being affordable is important.

venchia3

n00b
I think the CMVS is the way to go. I have no plans of using a multi-cart until one is developed that has proper level shifting buffers on the I/O lines, so games being affordable is important.

If you already have the MVS board, you could just buy an Omega Kit, that is just the parts of the cmvs omega without the MVS board and ready to assemble :)

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
If you already have the MVS board, you could just buy an Omega Kit, that is just the parts of the cmvs omega without the MVS board and ready to assemble :)

True, but I don't have $300 to throw around - otherwise I could certainly afford an MVS adapter for the AES and be done with it in the first place. If I can find a decently priced adapter, I'd much rather stick with the AES.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
"Omega Kit"
how much is the price for that ?

It was $300 when I bought it, some months ago. PM shadowkn55 for details, he makes and sells them. There's a thread about them on the Market - selling forum.

Regards.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Pretty solid break-down. But, as a student in growing debt I just don't think it would be responsible of me to have two expensive game systems I don't need, and AES games still are quite expensive. I think the CMVS is the way to go. I have no plans of using a multi-cart until one is developed that has proper level shifting buffers on the I/O lines, so games being affordable is important.

I understand you are a student in this moment, but you won't be always. Evaluate if you really have to get rid of one of the systems or if you can keep both, even if you have no use for one right now. If you can, keep both, because I'm sure you will regret later selling one, and these things are not getting any cheaper.

Regards.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Buy a $20 enclosure and actually build a CMVS instead of assembling one.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Buy a $20 enclosure and actually build a CMVS instead of assembling one.

That's already what I have, sans enclosure. A $20 enclosure is going to look like a $20 enclosure. At that point, I'd might as well spend some time doing some decent woodworking when I return home later.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
That's already what I have, sans enclosure. A $20 enclosure is going to look like a $20 enclosure. At that point, I'd might as well spend some time doing some decent woodworking when I return home later.

Depends on the enclosure you use. If you use a plain jane then, yes. Look for something with character. You can even repurpose an enclosure from something else that looks slick.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Depends on the enclosure you use. If you use a plain jane then, yes. Look for something with character. You can even repurpose an enclosure from something else that looks slick.

It's mostly a matter of having tools available. I am not home for the entire summer, so I do not have most of my tools with me. If I come across something, then I'll use it, but there's not a lot around here.