Open source console gaming

The King Prawn

Marked Wolf
I've been out of town for a while so I haven't been very active so if this has been covered point me in the right direction please.

Anyway, what's the consensus here on the topic? The OUYA looks pretty good, however I have serious doubts about the Madcatz M.O.J.O. from prior experience with their controllers and such. I'm not going to start on the Nvidia Shield as I'm not much of a handheld gamer. Anyone pre-order the OUYA yet?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Yup, preordered mine through Amazon.

Hoping for some neat stuff to come out on it. Also plan to use it with XBMC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The King Prawn

Marked Wolf
According to their site they've got 150 games for it already. I'm sure not all will be stellar quality, but hell it comes with all the tools necessary to code your own games. I'm thinking I'll put in an order for one.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Apparently, some of the kickstarter backers have already received their copies. Why not look for their reviews?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I have my Ouya from the Kickstarter but I haven't hooked it up yet. I was excited when the Kickstarter was up but I just can't seem to find the enthusiasm for it right now. I've been on a Sonic the Hedgehog kick of late and nearly 100% of my gaming time right now is going towards Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed (Wii U), Sonic Advance 2, Sonic Triple Trouble, and Sonic 1 on my Nomad.

Maybe I'll hook up the Ouya later today and check back with my impressions, if anyone is interested.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
We've already got an Ouya thread.

I'll repeat what I said there.

Android/iOS games on my television? No thank you.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
As expected, most games are just ports of mobile Android games. I don't know why people are surprised by the lackluster games.
It's not even the latest Tegra processor, so you wont get much.

There are a few FPS games that look pretty decent, but you are better off getting a miniPC. Something like a Zotac ZBOX. Ouya wont handle 1080p or 1080p streaming very well.

Steam Big Screen kinda made this obsolete.

The King Prawn

Marked Wolf
I did check out some of the reviews, apparently the backers got a limited addition color console and an additional controller. So what's the other, supposedly more common color? The only pictures I've seen have all been the same as this "limited edition" color. Some of the games in the Mobile Geeks review looked pretty polished. Especially that boxing game, Beast Boxing. Apparently 185 (games) now available including FFIII.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I thought FFIII is a seven year old DS game, or am I missing something here?

The King Prawn

Marked Wolf
I thought FFIII is a seven year old DS game, or am I missing something here?

It's actually older then that, but who's counting right? My point was getting the license to port it over & the support to do so. Speaking of which it's also got N64 and SNES emulators available, so I'm wondering how much of Nintendo's extensive library will be made available.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
I think the bull dike did a great job getting people to rally behind the Ouya, excited to see how long it lasts.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I'm still waiting on Amazon to ship my Ouya.

I was suppose to have it yesterday (or the day before that), but it still hasn't shipped yet.

Currently showing between June 28th and July 1st.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
I got a kick starter version a while back. I side loaded xbmc and vlan player on it. HD playback stuttered a bit. Hoping an official build of a player optimized for OUYA fixes it... maybe. Didn't try out too many games designed for it or android games in general. Mostly messed around with emulators. I was pleased that my USB Saturn pad worked with it right out of the box.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Received a notice from Amazon early today that my Ouya shipped.

Should have it monday.