"Ope" and other midwestern sayings...

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
There was a time in my life that I wanted to live in a large city, or closer to the west coast but the older I get, the more I want to live "in the middle of nowhere".

Sounds idyllic, in a way. And I'd probably initially enjoy it. But the isolation, so to speak, would eventually get to me. And the "middle of nowhere" over here brings it's own set of issues as with regard to safety.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Sounds idyllic, in a way. And I'd probably initially enjoy it. But the isolation, so to speak, would eventually get to me. And the "middle of nowhere" over here brings it's own set of issues as with regard to safety.

While I won't claim that anywhere is 100% safe, country living in the midwest can be pretty darn close. There's little criminal activity of any kind in most remote places.

As for isolation? I've got to the point where I don't want random public encounters anymore. Dealing with others at work, or my circle of family/friends? Sure...random places filled with people I do not know? I can live without that. I will say that the only way I'd live WAY out in the middle of nowhere is if I had enough $$ to have a sustainable "compound" of sorts. In ground fuel tanks, solar/wind power, solid well, large septic. While we live in a smaller town, we have city tie for sewer/gas/electric/water. On my budget, I wouldn't want to deal with a septic system, a shitty well, or LP tanks. We overlooked many lakefront houses around here because of they're having a septic system as well as well water.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Oh shit smokes is talking about living on a compound, only a matter of time before she starts a new religion

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
As for isolation? I've got to the point where I don't want random public encounters anymore. Dealing with others at work, or my circle of family/friends? Sure...random places filled with people I do not know? I can live without that.
Sucks for your kids. Don't pull them into this nightmare world of no people. What you're describing makes you sound like you are somehow developing late-onset autism.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Oh shit smokes is talking about living on a compound, only a matter of time before she starts a new religion

Meh...lack of better terms I guess. To me the word "compound" has got an unfair negative connotation applied to it. To me, it's just a segregated and somewhat self sustaining piece of property.

Sucks for your kids. Don't pull them into this nightmare world of no people. What you're describing makes you sound like you are somehow developing late-onset autism.

I'd never do that. Growing up in a very small town, there were always the weirdo "farm kids" that grew up with their siblings and were highly antisocial. Back then, most of them didn't attend school past 6th grade as they'd just go and work on the farm. If I am ever financially well off enough to live in the sticks, I won't have a kiddo living at home by that time.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Smokes talking about "as I get older" is making me almost as depressed as he likely is.
Start using that terminology in 20 years time gosh darn it motherfucker
Edit: I can kind of see your point of view though. Hah. Maybe I'm getting old

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'd never do that. Growing up in a very small town, there were always the weirdo "farm kids" that grew up with their siblings and were highly antisocial. Back then, most of them didn't attend school past 6th grade as they'd just go and work on the farm. If I am ever financially well off enough to live in the sticks, I won't have a kiddo living at home by that time.
fair enough

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Smokes talking about "as I get older" is making me almost as depressed as he likely is.
Start using that terminology in 20 years time gosh darn it motherfucker
Edit: I can kind of see your point of view though. Hah. Maybe I'm getting old

I have to say, at 42, I'm beginning to feel it. I've mentioned before that I teach class and I'm really beginning to feel the age gap. I was 20-22 when some of these guys were born, we didn't grow up in the same world.

*EDIT*
Funny enough, I'm really enjoying my 40's. I'm really not depressed and to be flat out honest, I'm far more mellow than I used to be.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I have to say, at 42, I'm beginning to feel it. I've mentioned before that I teach class and I'm really beginning to feel the age gap. I was 20-22 when some of these guys were born, we didn't grow up in the same world.

*EDIT*
Funny enough, I'm really enjoying my 40's. I'm really not depressed and to be flat out honest, I'm far more mellow than I used to be.

The 40s are shaping up, that is truth. You can kind of fall back on knowing what you know which is enough to see through situations that at a younger age had you doubting yourself. Even if that knowledge is about your own limitations, it's valid.
Easier to laugh heartily and go on your merry way much of the time