Ontamrama impressions?

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
61Wf9jM8w7L._SS500_.jpg

I'm curious to hear impressions. I'm a sucker for bright, vibrant, japanesy games and rhythm games. Developed by Noise Factory.

Anybody pick this up? Gameoz?

Found a review here.

Last edited:

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Hmmmm, it appears that Noise Factory developed this title.

I will have to check this out since I'm a fan of all titles Noise Factory has developed.

Hmmmm, the original Japanese version comes with the "Let's Go Onmyouji!" song from Matrimelee (Shin Goketsuji Ichizoku: Tokkon), wonder if they retained it for the English release.

Last edited:

bokmeow

ForeverSublime said:
I didn't delve much into reviews, but I think "Noise" was the developer.

Anyone know a relation? The Matrimelee song and the Atlus connection lend some evidence - besides the name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_Factory
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_(company)

Noise Factory without a doubt developed the title. Here's the official Noise Factory website, listed in their developed titles are Matrimelee and Ontama.

http://www.noise.co.jp/
http://www.noise.co.jp/game.htm

Dark Arms ~ Beast Buster 1999 is strangely absent from the list.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Took one for the team and picked this up today.

It's like a cross between the fruity aesthetics of every puzzle game you've ever played and twinkle star sprites, with gameplay similar to Quendan or DDR. Even the title selection screen reminds me of Puyo Pop Fever.

It plays like a rhythm game. Notes scroll across the screen as usual, and you hit the D-pad or face buttons (if you're a lefty) to activate the notes. The twist is that before you can activate the notes, you have to tap on the "ontama" (cute little creatures) that appear at the bottom screen with the stylus. You can draw a circle around the ontama instead of tapping, but I've found that hasn't worked so well. Some of them are bigger that you have to tap twice. If you get overwhelmed with them, you have a limited stock to blow at the screen and eliminate them all.

The music isn't too bad, ranging from Jazz to Pop to Metal. I'd say give it a try if you like rhythm games. I haven't played it on normal, but I'm assuming it can get pretty hecktic.

bokmeow

GregN. said:
Took one for the team and picked this up today.

It's like a cross between the fruity aesthetics of every puzzle game you've ever played and twinkle star sprites, with gameplay similar to Quendan or DDR. Even the title selection screen reminds me of Puyo Pop Fever.

It plays like a rhythm game. Notes scroll across the screen as usual, and you hit the D-pad or face buttons (if you're a lefty) to activate the notes. The twist is that before you can activate the notes, you have to tap on the "ontama" (cute little creatures) that appear at the bottom screen with the stylus. You can draw a circle around the ontama instead of tapping, but I've found that hasn't worked so well. Some of them are bigger that you have to tap twice. If you get overwhelmed with them, you have a limited stock to blow at the screen and eliminate them all.

The music isn't too bad, ranging from Jazz to Pop to Metal. I'd say give it a try if you like rhythm games. I haven't played it on normal, but I'm assuming it can get pretty hecktic.

Shoot.... so they didn't retain "Let's Go Onmyouji," even though it's like a popular internet meme now?

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
bokmeow said:
Shoot.... so they didn't retain "Let's Go Onmyouji," even though it's like a popular internet meme now?

I can't confirm that yet. They might have... There are bonus songs you can unlock.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
GregN. said:
61Wf9jM8w7L._SS500_.jpg

I'm curious to hear impressions. I'm a sucker for bright, vibrant, japanesy games and rhythm games. Developed by Noise Factory.

Anybody pick this up? Gameoz?

Found a review here.

I must have missed this thread. I remember reading about this game but didn't realize it was ever released in the USA. I am not big into buying DS games anymore (only own about three games).

I watched a video of this and it looks like DDR but the tapping of the characters looked like it would be a pain in the ass.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Gameoz said:
I must have missed this thread. I remember reading about this game but didn't realize it was ever released in the USA. I am not big into buying DS games anymore (only own about three games).

I watched a video of this and it looks like DDR but the tapping of the characters looked like it would be a pain in the ass.

Not buying DS games anymore? Why not? There's some good games on the DS.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
GregN. said:
Not buying DS games anymore? Why not? There's some good games on the DS.

Agreed, there are some fantastic games out for the DS. Right now I am playing through Zelda PH and I'm having fun with that. I still like the older Zelda games better though.

For the most part if I want to play a game, I just play something on the Wii.

So...how is this game like Twinkle Star Sprites, I loved that game. Also, is there any multi-player?

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
It's only like twinkle star sprites in that it is cute and japanesey and colorful and fruity.

No multi-player, which is a big surprise, as it would work well for this kind of game. Too bad.

bokmeow

I just picked up the Japanese original 'cos I think the American localized title was poorer for having the 2 songs by girl group 80*PAN removed, but evidently Let's Go Onmyouji is still retained as an unlockable song, so it's not a total loss for U.S. fans. Surprisingly entertaining title with a solid combo system to achieve high scores. Hand-eye coordination like that employed for patting ones own head while rubbing stomach is required to do well --- very hard for me, have to decide whether to stare at the notes or follow the Ontamas appearing on screen. Title will appeal most to fans of Japanese bubblegum pop music.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I just sold my copy. I figured I wouldn't play it anymore and it's a bit too difficult for my tastes.