Once and for all, the best 2D fighter: super turbo, third strike, kof98?

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
wasabi said:
that comment is a bannable offense

If you knew it like I do you'd agree with me. sadly there are very few who play it like I do.

expect my proof in few months.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
wasabi said:
LMAO

is this for real?

is there really a subculture for SFII that refuses to refer to the characters by their actual names (in Japanese of course).

Well, there's a culture who calls them by their US names and a culture that calls them by their Japanese names. It's an easy way to describe who you're talking about no matter who you're talking with.

Claw's pokes are good, and he has an insanely fast jump, but all of that can be out-played. You can't out-play an ambiguous wall crossup throw. This is where something like quick recovery would've helped a lot in the game.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
INfintido said:
If you knew it like I do you'd agree with me. sadly there are very few who play it like I do.

Hey, I love the game to death. One of my favorites... but best fighter ever? How's four characters owning the other 50 some balanced? It's a fun as hell fighter, and I play it weekly, but let's face it... not the best ever.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
INfintido said:

you can't prove that MvC2 is the best fighter ever. Not based on facts nor popular opinion. It's definitely a logical progression from the vs. series, but in terms of being good fighting games, not so much.

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
That list sucks.

no XI, no 2k2 or NeoWave... no Hyper SF2...

Why limit yourself?

Arthas

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
taitai said:
That list sucks.

Why limit yourself?
I haven't had much XI exposure sadly, but 2k2 is indeed up there. We all know the presentation sucks balls, but the gameplay is rock solid.

I'd still rate it just a teeny weeny bit lower than 98 tho, but I love them both.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
taitai said:
That list sucks.

Why limit yourself?

NeoWave? lol. Hyper? Why have hyper when super turbo has been pretty much agreed upon as being the best SFII? Never played XI. 2k2? Some characters were too strong, while others were too towned down in that game. Ramon was cheap as hell and could run over an entire team by himself. With that said, 2k2 is still a great game, but I still feel 98 is better... slightly.

Technos

Formerly known as #28
20 Year Member
Zero 3 Upper and Real Bout Special pwn the three Spike listed.

-Tech

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
#28 said:
Zero 3 Upper and Real Bout Special pwn the three Spike listed.

-Tech

Zero three upper has been shot down by the entire SRK forum group. RBS is cute, but better than the three I said? Hmmm, no. Alpha 3 is supposed to be more balanced, is it not?

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha.

Bar KoF96 and until the PS2 gets a port of RBFF, it's the only fighter I still play.

Last edited:

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
Real Bout 2.

But out of that list probably KoF 98. I have hardly spent enough time with any of those games though.

MUSOLINI said:
edit: @ spike if you cant consider MOTW a FF game then you shouldnt consider any RB game as a FF game. shit most people said the same thing when RB came out. even when FF3 came out. MOTW is trueer to the older FF's than any of the RB's. its more like a FF3 without the planes, and the planes plain sucked so its great that they lost it and introduced jd.

How is MotW truer to older FF's?

The planes are subjective but they are what makes the Fatal Fury series. This is what it is known for. It's not just the addition of the planes itself but what is added to the game as a whole because of the planes. Characters in the later FF's can combo opponents from one plane to the other with ease. They were given anti-linesway specials and obviously linesway specials. Some characters make excellent use of the planes. Franco in RB1, Duck King in RBS and Chonrei in RB2 for some examples. I found little use of it in FFS, but fun regardless.

MotW seems incomplete for me.
No background to character interaction - This is more of an aesthetic thing. It's been in every other Fatal Fury. Even in the early stages, FF1 had minor glimpses of it. Richard Meyer hanging off the ceiling etc. FFS had Mai leaping from flagpoles, Jubei's level with the destructable barrier, bicyclists eating pavement etc.

The planes - It's been discussed, I like it. It seemed like they finally grasped the concept in RB2. I also like the quick recovery, into tech roll's and semi-forced cross-ups in the later RBs.

JD - I don't like it. Whilst I can see the risk/reward idea. It is minimal and favours the reward side rather than the risk. It's not like Third Strike where you willfully put yourself in harms way knowing fully well that if you didn't time it properly you're done for. The satisfaction from JD'g as opposed to parrying just isn't there. Unless you hold out for too long, either way you're going to block the attack using JD. What's more the timing isn't as strict and to top it off you gain health back. It's just my opinion, probably been discussed countless times before. I still feel it needs work.

DM's - Hardly a complaint, but they weren't DM's, they were supers like in every other fighter. Very generic. The idea - not the supers themselves. If my character is about to die, I prefer him to have the big red button rather than nothing.

It had it's own brand of unique strings. But the feint cancelling already existed, this was the one area they did improve. Everything else just seems to lack. I don't know dude, I'll agree it's a good game on it's own but with the Fatal Fury name attached it doesn't hold up to it's expectations (perhaps that's my problem with it - I expected more of the same with extras)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
taitai said:
That list sucks.

Why limit yourself?

we're talking about which is the best of the best. Not what games you might like to play when no one is looking.

Thiessen

Camel Slug
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo is the best evar.
Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold is the second.

SFIII and SFA3 were both dissapointments for me. Both good, but not AS good as SSF2T and SFA2....

I really REALLY love Marvel Vs Capcom and Mortal Kombat II, but both have more noticable flaws than the above mentionned games. However if I had to pick my 4 favourite fighting games, those would be the lineup.

GENOCIDE CUTTER '94

Ukyo's Doctor
KOF 98, no doubt!

Love TS, but boy does it have some limitations. Only thing to improve 98 would be parrying, and the ability to fight against the Orochi Team, original Rugal and the AOF/RB versions of the Garou and Ryuuko No ken characters.

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
BigFred said:
Real Bout 2.

But out of that list probably KoF 98. I have hardly spent enough time with any of those games though.

How is MotW truer to older FF's?

The planes are subjective but they are what makes the Fatal Fury series. This is what it is known for. It's not just the addition of the planes itself but what is added to the game as a whole because of the planes. Characters in the later FF's can combo opponents from one plane to the other with ease. They were given anti-linesway specials and obviously linesway specials. Some characters make excellent use of the planes. Franco in RB1, Duck King in RBS and Chonrei in RB2 for some examples. I found little use of it in FFS, but fun regardless.

MotW seems incomplete for me.
No background to character interaction - This is more of an aesthetic thing. It's been in every other Fatal Fury. Even in the early stages, FF1 had minor glimpses of it. Richard Meyer hanging off the ceiling etc. FFS had Mai leaping from flagpoles, Jubei's level with the destructable barrier, bicyclists eating pavement etc.

The planes - It's been discussed, I like it. It seemed like they finally grasped the concept in RB2. I also like the quick recovery, into tech roll's and semi-forced cross-ups in the later RBs.

JD - I don't like it. Whilst I can see the risk/reward idea. It is minimal and favours the reward side rather than the risk. It's not like Third Strike where you willfully put yourself in harms way knowing fully well that if you didn't time it properly you're done for. The satisfaction from JD'g as opposed to parrying just isn't there. Unless you hold out for too long, either way you're going to block the attack using JD. What's more the timing isn't as strict and to top it off you gain health back. It's just my opinion, probably been discussed countless times before. I still feel it needs work.

DM's - Hardly a complaint, but they weren't DM's, they were supers like in every other fighter. Very generic. The idea - not the supers themselves. If my character is about to die, I prefer him to have the big red button rather than nothing.

It had it's own brand of unique strings. But the feint cancelling already existed, this was the one area they did improve. Everything else just seems to lack. I don't know dude, I'll agree it's a good game on it's own but with the Fatal Fury name attached it doesn't hold up to it's expectations (perhaps that's my problem with it - I expected more of the same with extras)

to make a long post short. 3 attack buttons in the RB series, only FF1 had less attack buttons. chain combos in the RB series, none of the older ff's had chains(only ff3). plain combos, none of the older ff's had plane combos, plains were just a stupid idea back in the days when ff1 till special were released. in FF3 they got better use for them, along with some chaines and stuff. the rb'S COMPLETELY CHANGED ALL OF THIS, sorry for the caps. they did a good job but they were looking less and less like a ff game, but they were better than the older ff's by any means though. then we get motw, normall 4 button layout, no planes and no long chaines (some got 2 hit chaines). combo system more similar to FFS but with more flashyness. really the only bad thing about MOTW is that it hasnt got a lot of characters and that they could have been deeper, like ts deep. but then again i dont of a lot of fighters that are as deep as ts though. if i had to compare motw to a ff it would be ff3 or ffs. if i had to compare the rb's to a ff it would be ff3. but none of them are like the older ff's and they still compare one way or the other. at least the series kept coming out and getting better over time, unlike the aof series which stayed as shitty as ever.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Of the games mentioned, KOF 98 gets my vote easily.

Super Turbo and Third Strike aren't even my favorite of their respective series.

Rengoku

Duck King's DJ
kof98 uber alles
the more i play this game the more i like it, even after almost 10 year since it come to the scene
roster, gameplay feeling it's all at top level

sadly 3s have more fans due to thousand reasons
st2 can be fun but too basic..just pick guile or ryu and spam fireballs to become a nasty opponent awful to watch but it did history

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
Spike Spiegel said:
Hyper? Why have hyper when super turbo has been pretty much agreed upon as being the best SFII?

Because opinions are like assholes. Agreed upon by who? EVERYONE?? Not really. I know quite a few "top" players in their region that still prefer Hyper to ST. I also prefer Hyper to ST, though I consider both of them to be two of the best fighters ever made. Depends on so many factors that you can't say some shit like, "everyone agrees that ST is better".

Hyper > ST
Claw > Boxer

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
i said it once and il, say it again, SFIIITS. kof 98 for a shaired first place.

Circa2113

Duck King's DJ
10 Year Member
I'd have to say KoF '98 simply because I haven't played the others enough to have a credible opinion on them. Third strike is extremely fun to play though.

recon_zero

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
The best 2d fighter is 3rd strike
the best 3d fighter is Virtua Fighter 4

My favorites are
2D : Hyper Fighting
3D: DoA 2 :loco: