Omega MVS Cartridge Shells: Kickstarter Now Live!

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I seriously LOL'ed when Shapeways was recommended earlier in the thread.

Glad I could brighten your day :-)

Just figured it was worth at least the discussion and a short investigation, and even if 3d printing itself doesn't help them come to market any faster, investigating multiple options and understanding where they work and where they don't certainly could. Especially if the alternative is doing nothing.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Big tymers will surely be glad to pay over $100 for each half of the shell anyways. XD

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
Big tymers will surely be glad to pay over $100 for each half of the shell anyways. XD

I rather scourer the internet for someone else empty MVS cart shells or go to Neo Store for their clear shells then pay $100 for new shells.

If I want my collection that look that nice I go after NOS MVS Full kits over loose carts and spend a few bucks to reprint labels.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Not that I am aware of. Is it also true that a HDMI Omega may see the light of day next year?

It's one of the grand plans I have for it. Gotta finish up the basics first. Anyway, this is what envision the omega cartridge shell looking like. The notable changes are the removal of the notch and a smaller label.

omegashellredesign1_zpsddc61f40.png

omegashellredesign2_zps670b8cf0.png

omegashellredesign3_zpsd0693ec3.png

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I actually like the bigger label, works great for the side loaders.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Looking back, I thought the label was out of control. The new label is the same size as an AES label.

I think the shoulders on the AES cart shell cause an optical illusion to making the label seem bigger.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I think the shoulders on the AES cart shell cause an optical illusion to making the label seem bigger.

It was also to make the proportions look better since the spine label area was reduced a few millimeters due to notch removal.

venchia3

n00b
Wow! Nice job on the redesign. I actually support the idea of having a smaller label version :) Can you actually share the exact size of the label and corner radius? I was having fun in the recent past trying to design some labels for your replacement shells and would like to start over for the new design...who knows, maybe one day they might prove useful :)

grimm

Marked Wolf
I like the redesign a lot...

With all the new technical upgrades you have done and are planning to have done, would it be possible to ship back an Omega, to have these items installed with a new shell etc? I know you have plans for the memory card. If i recall some kind of switch to make them work with multicarts, and also an actuall memory card port? This and the HDMI i would be very interested in having my Omega upgraded to down the line. Im enjoying it as is with RGB, but HDMI would make it one less cable to switch around with my LCD screen.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Anyway, this is what envision the omega cartridge shell looking like. The notable changes are the removal of the notch and a smaller label.
I have to side with Xian Xi here, the version with the bigger label looked more boss. This revision still looks great though - and if it means easier production/other benefits I wouldn't even care.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Redesign looks great. I hope some time soon there is a possibility of this coming to fruition. Was really looking forward to it back when the kickstarter part was happening.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Wow! Nice job on the redesign. I actually support the idea of having a smaller label version :) Can you actually share the exact size of the label and corner radius? I was having fun in the recent past trying to design some labels for your replacement shells and would like to start over for the new design...who knows, maybe one day they might prove useful :)

These are the exact measurements of the mvs label on the redesigned cart shells

template size
90mm x 80mm (Width x height)

safe area (i.e. with bleed)
89mm x 79mm

corner radius - 2.5mm

These three measurements comprise the 80mm height.

bottom to arc - 60.78205135mm
arc length - 7.37891270mm
arc to top - 11.84083937mm

I like the redesign a lot...

With all the new technical upgrades you have done and are planning to have done, would it be possible to ship back an Omega, to have these items installed with a new shell etc? I know you have plans for the memory card. If i recall some kind of switch to make them work with multicarts, and also an actuall memory card port? This and the HDMI i would be very interested in having my Omega upgraded to down the line. Im enjoying it as is with RGB, but HDMI would make it one less cable to switch around with my LCD screen.

I gotta figure out which upgrades will make it into the first redesign before any trade-in programs are put into place. I'll keep you guys informed when this stuff starts to make head way.

I have to side with Xian Xi here, the version with the bigger label looked more boss. This revision still looks great though - and if it means easier production/other benefits I wouldn't even care.

The changes were to make the tooling and overall storage of empty cases easier. There were also a few minor things about the notch that bothered me so redesign takes care of any issues from a personal standpoint.

venchia3

n00b
These are the exact measurements of the mvs label on the redesigned cart shells

template size
90mm x 80mm (Width x height)

safe area (i.e. with bleed)
89mm x 79mm

corner radius - 2.5mm

These three measurements comprise the 80mm height.

bottom to arc - 60.78205135mm
arc length - 7.37891270mm
arc to top - 11.84083937mm

Thank you so much!! Will try to create a template as soon as possible :)

EDIT: just did this in my spare time, following Quan's measures :) I tried to keep it simple, using the Omega golden symbol color and a sort of AES style, hope it's not too terrible :D

34yy59u.png

Last edited:

inzo

n00b
Very nice. Would you be able to do a red variant as well? I'm no good at Photoshop. I really hope this goes somewhere and cannot wait to see what a finished product will look like with the redesign. This will make a nice parring for the Omega and Shockboxes.

venchia3

n00b
Very nice. Would you be able to do a red variant as well? I'm no good at Photoshop. I really hope this goes somewhere and cannot wait to see what a finished product will look like with the redesign. This will make a nice parring for the Omega and Shockboxes.

Sure, no problem :) if it's something useful I can start to make more of these labels, just need to find a good source of SNK artworks :)

2ufpsux.png

Last edited:

venchia3

n00b
Nice work. A good source of existing artwork is the shockbox inserts at southtown.

Thanks! Oh sure, I wonder why I didn't thought this myself :) I've already done some more labels with the help of the shockbox inserts. For example with MSX I tried to mimic the AES camo style

ei8mz4.png

Last edited: