OK Guys, I'm Getting More Adventurous - Dishwasher Problems...

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
I suggest strongly you replace it now, as it will save alot of headache when the leak becomes so severe that it leaks all the contents of the tank. Personally, when mine goes I am going to opt for a tankless water heater. Expensive as hell, but save money on energy in the long run and they're tiny.

+1 Replace it now.

And if you do replace it, do not buy the Whirlpool junk they sell at Lowe's. That thing had a design flaw where it pulls air from under the unit and they placed a filter there that gets clogged. Over time it causes problems with the pilot.

If you are going for a traditional water heater I suggest Bradford White. My home had a Bradford White that was 21 years old. I replaced it when I repiped my house and went tankless. Now running a Noritz.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
The tech on tankless is pretty close to perfected now. I went tankless 6 years ago and have never ran out of hot water. There is the obvious space savings too.

I have a Stiebel Eltron Tempra 29 Plus. They make a whole series of course - but with a family of 6 and lots of water usage, coming in cold from well in MN, we figured $150 extra was worth it for this model. The base model like 24 or something is undoubtedly fine for most applications - especially in the South or with smaller families. They also make point of use devices and you can put 4-5 throughout the house - they are cheaper and require minimal electric.

Install is SUPER easy if you have any plumbing skills at all - even if you don't, it's probably a 2-hour service call. It's simply mount and run the pipe. From there depending on model electric is straight-forward and instructions are very well done. The only thing to consider if you do go with a larger unit (not size, but capacity) they run on 200 or 300 amp service - you'll need up to 6 50amp connects available - that is some heavy duty wire and most boxes won't have that kind of capacity spare on their box - so that's the only real consideration. My electric install took about 4-hours and had to add a 2nd breaker box, but it's been WELL worth it. Again - have never run out of water. It heats on demand in about 7-12 seconds (7 seconds at faucet nearest tank, 12 seconds at upstairs sink at end of run) and it goes forever.

Maintenance is minimal. In my case...none. I'm supposed to unhook an intake coupler every 3-4 years and remove any hard-water build-up, but I opened it up once at the 3-year mark and it was day one new - so I haven't checked it since then.

You'll pay about twice as much up front, but after that - it's just savings and non-stop hot water.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
The tech on tankless is pretty close to perfected now. I went tankless 6 years ago and have never ran out of hot water. There is the obvious space savings too.

I have a Stiebel Eltron Tempra 29 Plus. They make a whole series of course - but with a family of 6 and lots of water usage, coming in cold from well in MN, we figured $150 extra was worth it for this model. The base model like 24 or something is undoubtedly fine for most applications - especially in the South or with smaller families. They also make point of use devices and you can put 4-5 throughout the house - they are cheaper and require minimal electric.

Install is SUPER easy if you have any plumbing skills at all - even if you don't, it's probably a 2-hour service call. It's simply mount and run the pipe. From there depending on model electric is straight-forward and instructions are very well done. The only thing to consider if you do go with a larger unit (not size, but capacity) they run on 200 or 300 amp service - you'll need up to 6 50amp connects available - that is some heavy duty wire and most boxes won't have that kind of capacity spare on their box - so that's the only real consideration. My electric install took about 4-hours and had to add a 2nd breaker box, but it's been WELL worth it. Again - have never run out of water. It heats on demand in about 7-12 seconds (7 seconds at faucet nearest tank, 12 seconds at upstairs sink at end of run) and it goes forever.

Maintenance is minimal. In my case...none. I'm supposed to unhook an intake coupler every 3-4 years and remove any hard-water build-up, but I opened it up once at the 3-year mark and it was day one new - so I haven't checked it since then.

You'll pay about twice as much up front, but after that - it's just savings and non-stop hot water.

Most need a dedicated subpanel for the amperage for the larger models. Most homes have between 120-200 amps for everything, so the larger models will draw a lot of power.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Most need a dedicated subpanel for the amperage for the larger models. Most homes have between 120-200 amps for everything, so the larger models will draw a lot of power.

I didn't know this. I only have a 100 amp panel in the house right now. It's plenty for a 3 bedroom ranch. I ran the AC, washer, dryer, and dishwasher at the same time and saw no dimming of lights so I figured I was good. I was told that I'd only need a 200 amp panel if we ever installed a hot tub or pool filter, but apparently I was misinformed.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
I didn't know this. I only have a 100 amp panel in the house right now. It's plenty for a 3 bedroom ranch. I ran the AC, washer, dryer, and dishwasher at the same time and saw no dimming of lights so I figured I was good. I was told that I'd only need a 200 amp panel if we ever installed a hot tub or pool filter, but apparently I was misinformed.

It sounds like all of them are on separate breakers which can take the load adequately. This is fine for what you need, however with the additions like you mentioned, a panel upgrade is needed. I know many multifamily homes here use 200 amp panels because heat is electric, so unless you ever converted your heating to electric (please don't) or ran a ton of holiday lights to look like Whoville, you'll be fine with what you use now.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
It sounds like all of them are on separate breakers which can take the load adequately. This is fine for what you need, however with the additions like you mentioned, a panel upgrade is needed. I know many multifamily homes here use 200 amp panels because heat is electric, so unless you ever converted your heating to electric (please don't) or ran a ton of holiday lights to look like Whoville, you'll be fine with what you use now.

We bought the house because it's mainly gas utilities. So do you think my current panel could handle a tankless? I have two empty breakers on my panel still.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
We bought the house because it's mainly gas utilities. So do you think my current panel could handle a tankless? I have two empty breakers on my panel still.

I don't see why not. There are some tankless heaters that run off gas like conventional heaters, so check those out.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
If your wife is cool with it, then just give it a shot. Jokingly ask how anal she is, and if she plays along, maybe get your dick stinky.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
If your wife is cool with it, then just give it a shot. Jokingly ask how anal she is, and if she plays along, maybe get your dick stinky.

Just know this -

No matter how this project goes...

No matter how tonight ends...

SOMETHING is gonna get stinky.

Either the my dick, or the dishes...

But not both.