Oh nos, I can't find the test button

I recently picked up a 2 slot MVS that came in a converted Defender cab. There is no test button connected to the wire, what kind of button can I use to hook one up?

Thanks

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
Just touching that wire to any ground in the cabinet will work.

For a perminent button, just use a regular push button with that wire and a ground wire.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
JabberWocky:
I recently picked up a 2 slot MVS that came in a converted Defender cab. There is no test button connected to the wire, what kind of button can I use to hook one up?

Thanks
go to <a href="http://www.happcontrols.com" target="_blank">http://www.happcontrols.com</a>

You can get everything you need there. Just wire in the test switch, I'd wire in a service switch while you were at it. If you decide to use another board in there you may need it, like the ST-V or if you are using a Uni-BIOS.

-Nick

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
I think you can hold down B+C+D when you switch on to access the test menu as well.

Kaz

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Kazuya_UK:
I think you can hold down B+C+D when you switch on to access the test menu as well.

Kaz
Provided you have the unibios installed, of course. Another option is using hard dip 1 in the board.

Anyway now that we are talking about this I don't have neither the test nor service button in my supergun, are they really necessary?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Kazuya_UK:

Kaz
With the uni-bios yes... with the real bios it doesn't work

-Nick

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Amano Jacu:
Kazuya_UK:

Kaz
Provided you have the unibios installed, of course. Another option is using hard dip 1 in the board.

Anyway now that we are talking about this I don't have neither the test nor service button in my supergun, are they really necessary?
Beat me to it wink damn... anyway, test I would say is really important, that is if you don't use the unibios trick, service probably not so.

The service button is what gets you through the test setup on a ST-V, maybe on other boards as well, but doesn't do anything but add coins to the MVS... so, I would say if your mostly doing MVS stuff, skip the service... UNLESS you plan on using the unibios... hehe, then you can use it to pause and pull up the cheat menu.

-Nick

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
nruva:
Beat me to it wink damn... anyway, test I would say is really important, that is if you don't use the unibios trick, service probably not so.

The service button is what gets you through the test setup on a ST-V, maybe on other boards as well, but doesn't do anything but add coins to the MVS... so, I would say if your mostly doing MVS stuff, skip the service... UNLESS you plan on using the unibios... hehe, then you can use it to pause and pull up the cheat menu.

-Nick
Yeah, I'm the fastest at this site of the Atlantic wink

There's something I don't understand... The button I use for doing that things with the unibios is the select one... unless this is the same as test or service in other boards?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Are you using a neo stick? Then yes, the select button will do that for you, basically the select is service.

-Nick

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
nruva:
Are you using a neo stick? Then yes, the select button will do that for you, basically the select is service.

-Nick
I'm using a MV1A board without controller ports, so all the controls must be inputed through the JAMMA harness. Notice that my supergun has a DB-15 with the same pin-out as neo, so in fact I could use my neo stick if I wanted. The select button from the neo stick (or the correponding button in any of my other controllers) is wired to pin 26 (or d for the other player), so I can use it as select with the unibios.

I've been checking hardmvs and found this guide:

<a href="http://www.hardmvs.com/manuals/Jamma2NeoGeo4SlotPinout.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.hardmvs.com/manuals/Jamma2NeoGeo4SlotPinout.pdf</a>

It looks like service only coins-up the machine, so it's not needed for a supergun that already has at least a regular coin button. However test in pin 15 could be useful for some boards (so in MVS it starts the config screen, but there are several ways to reach it anyway). But instead of wiring a button I could just use a loose wire to make direct contact between pin 15 and any ground and that's all, if ever needed it for a moment. In fact I had to do this with player 2 coin (my supergun doesn't have it wired, only player 1) to be able to have 2 players in a TNMT board (as it didn't use start, just the coin for each player).

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Service used for scrolling through STV test mode??
Another brilliant idea from Sega... :rolleyes:

For all other Jamma boards service may be useful only if you are an arcade operator and your cab has coin counters wired: when a board is being tested/repaired credits are added by pressing "service" instead of "coin" because this way they are not registered by the coin counters so that the operator knows that the credits on the counters are his earnings...

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
MKL:

For all other Jamma boards service may be useful only if you are an arcade operator and your cab has coin counters wired: when a board is being tested/repaired credits are added by pressing "service" instead of "coin" because this way they are not registered by the coin counters so that the operator knows that the credits on the counters are his earnings...
How do you think I felt? I mean, why not just use the stick like any other machine? wink But yeah, that is how they do it... no idea why

-Nick

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
nruva:
MKL:

How do you think I felt? I mean, why not just use the stick like any other machine? wink But yeah, that is how they do it... no idea why
heh...

On the other hand, the idea of adding a pause pin on the jamma harness cannot be praised enough...

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
I thought the STV had some buttons build in the board itself, that allowed you to use and navigate the test screen without having to actually use the arcade controls. That's a good idea, beacuse that way you don't need the controls to be wired to access it. In fact where's the point in, for example, having to use the arcade controls to access the input test screen? If you want to access them it is because there's already some trouble, so maybe they don't work so you can't access the screen that would tell you the exact problem. Kinda like the famous "keyboard not found, press any key" :rolleyes:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Amano Jacu:
I thought the STV had some buttons build in the board itself, that allowed you to use and navigate the test screen without having to actually use the arcade controls. That's a good idea, beacuse that way you don't need the controls to be wired to access it. In fact where's the point in, for example, having to use the arcade controls to access the input test screen? If you want to access them it is because there's already some trouble, so maybe they don't work so you can't access the screen that would tell you the exact problem. Kinda like the famous "keyboard not found, press any key" :rolleyes:
hehehe... I get your point, for sure, but remember... not all of us have super guns... and not all of us have cabs with boards located anywhere near a monitor (i.e. mine is in the back of my machine!). So, there is no way in hell I am going to go to the back of the machine, press a button, run to the front... look... run back, press a button... repeat... over and over.... So, I needed a button wired, and I imagine others would as well (although I guess I could have used a mirror, like when you are tweaking colors and such... nahhhh button is better!)

-Nick