Oh Controller ports batman!

EliteDoomMaster

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I decided that I'm going to try my hand at constructing a joystick for my dreamcast using the Quantum Fighter pad by Intec, the only question I have is will this controller burn out the ports? I read some where that it can happen with third party controllers and have pretty much stayed away from using it on my DC for the sake of not trusting it.

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
Ive never heard of a third party pad being a conductor for the burnout, but I had a sega pad that burnt out 3 of my dreamcasts before. Its an easy fix, but it shouldnt have any problems (your pad) unless you fubar it pretty bad.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Quantum fighter isn't really a good choice if you plan on using 6 buttons+start....

The only advantage is the wired leads........

Are you putting the Pad in the stick enclosure?

I woud recomend building a stick, then use external converters (that use hacked pads) to connect to various systems (Playstation, Xbox, GCN, DC, Saturn, PC)

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Standard DC pads are also VERY easy to hack....

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
here's the dc pad:

step11.jpg

EliteDoomMaster

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Yes I plan to encase it in a box, and so on. Which controller I use doesn't really matter ALL that much, its just have a quantum fighter pad sitting around. If the DC, or Mad Catz is better overall I guess I'll pick up two of those after I order my buttons/joysticks.

EliteDoomMaster

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I have a question concerning this dealy; which gauge wire and what kind of solder should I use?

Lime2K

Host for Orochi
EliteDoomMaster said:
I have a question concerning this dealy; which gauge wire and what kind of solder should I use?

20 gauge wire (stranded), and normal electrical solder (rosin core - mine is 60% tin/40% lead). Get zipties too as they make the finished product look much prettier (and easier to maintain, as well)

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
EliteDoomMaster said:
Yes I plan to encase it in a box, and so on. Which controller I use doesn't really matter ALL that much, its just have a quantum fighter pad sitting around. If the DC, or Mad Catz is better overall I guess I'll pick up two of those after I order my buttons/joysticks.

I would avoid using the Quantum Pad. I hear they are not hackable, or a pain to hack. But I could be wrong. I've used the Madcatz and never had problems. 1st party controllers are the best, at least thats how it is with PS1 pads.

I would avoid any controller that has some sort of turbo function or screen on it.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
zapatistab said:
I would avoid using the Quantum Pad. I hear they are not hackable, or a pain to hack. But I could be wrong. I've used the Madcatz and never had problems. 1st party controllers are the best, at least thats how it is with PS1 pads.

I would avoid any controller that has some sort of turbo function or screen on it.

They are very easily hackable....

But the triggers are suck to hack.... They are hackable in a custom setup. Or via the use of a special IC.... I wouldn't recomend it.

Turbo controllers arent a problem....

You can even hack that funtion into the converter box.

zapatistab

norton9478 said:
They are very easily hackable....

But the triggers are suck to hack.... They are hackable in a custom setup. Or via the use of a special IC.... I wouldn't recomend it.

Turbo controllers arent a problem....

You can even hack that funtion into the converter box.

Not all of us are experts

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
zapatistab said:
Not all of us are experts

The one cool thing about the Interact pads is the fact that you can have a converter and use the pad.....

The button contacts have thier own PCB...

But I'd still go with the original DC pad.

EliteDoomMaster

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Are the small solder points really as small as what the internet claims them to be? Since they make it out to be difficult.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
EliteDoomMaster said:
Are the small solder points really as small as what the internet claims them to be? Since they make it out to be difficult.

Nah,,,, YOu don't use them

You scrape off the pad part...

I had no problem doing so...

EliteDoomMaster

Edo Express Delivery Guy
norton9478 said:
Nah,,,, YOu don't use them

You scrape off the pad part...

I had no problem doing so...

The pad part? The contacts that the rubber button covers would push down on??

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
EliteDoomMaster said:
The pad part? The contacts that the rubber button covers would push down on??

Yeah....

thems....

But not the ground end... the other end

EliteDoomMaster

Edo Express Delivery Guy
norton9478 said:
Yeah....

thems....

But not the ground end... the other end

Which end are we talking about? Left right up down? picture or no picture? All this 'sneaky' elusive talk about the 'other end' is unsettling.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
NGT said:

Tight soldering bro...

You can remove the plastic for the VMU slot.

I also delsolder the VMU completely.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
norton9478 said:
Tight soldering bro...

You can remove the plastic for the VMU slot.

I also delsolder the VMU completely.

thanks! I made that thing a long time ago and the plan was to put a vmu in there. The only one I could find was one I had saves on that I didn't want stuck in there. Then I had a bit to drink one night and soldered it all up because I wanted to play some games with my Mas Stick.

Dscn5428.jpg

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
N00b question:
Has anyone ever hacked an astropad (by Performance)?

I've got like 10 of them (were 99 cents at toys-r-us including rumble pack :chimp: ) and they're completely modular. EVERYTHING is on a PCB connnected by wires.

EDIT: And the memory card plastic (etc) comes off in one piece, and has easy mounting. :O

Last edited:

zapatistab

SpamYouToDeath said:
N00b question:
Has anyone ever hacked an astropad (by Performance)?

I've got like 10 of them (were 99 cents at toys-r-us including rumble pack :chimp: ) and they're completely modular. EVERYTHING is on a PCB connnected by wires.

EDIT: And the memory card plastic (etc) comes off in one piece, and has easy mounting. :O

I would give it a shot. For 99 cents you have nothing to lose.