Official SNK Shock Box via Limited Run

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
I always wanted Snaps for MVS although that hard plastic shite kinda turned me off. This announcement/ pre-order is random as fuck.

Johnny16Bit

Camel Slug
If these Limited Run cases are repro quality but just endorsed by SNK

I'd love to be surprised, but I can't imagine them being anything else. I've read people get excited about them being made from old moulds waised fwom their gwave, or supervised by some serious Quality Control SNK dude... Sounds about as likely as being handsigned by Michael Beard.
But I'm really curious about the quality, as these are way less expensive than those currently available, while being under licence...

On another note, I went to their website and realised they used the word "shockbox" in all their previous big box SNK releases.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
You'd think they'd at least offer a print service for inserts as well? A big part of the appeal of these massive game cases is the artwork.

Again, NeoOldStore for the win.

After I purged my game library last year, I only have two "loose" home carts left - Andro and Nina Commando, but found authentic vinyl cases for them and got inserts from NeoOldStore...and the inserts are overall very high quality. Not off-set print good, but still quite excellent for repro inserts that cost just a few bucks each.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
You'd think they'd at least offer a print service for inserts as well? A big part of the appeal of these massive game cases is the artwork.

Again, NeoOldStore for the win.

After I purged my game library last year, I only have two "loose" home carts left - Andro and Nina Commando, but found authentic vinyl cases for them and got inserts from NeoOldStore...and the inserts are overall very high quality. Not off-set print good, but still quite excellent for repro inserts that cost just a few bucks each.
You make Neooldstore sound so good, but I have 153 MVS games that need cases. At 18 euros each that's 2,754 euros. That's $2,980 US without even getting into the inserts or shipping. It's similarly priced to the LRG ones really. Not to mention I already sent Neooldstore an inquiry about doing a bulk order of 160 cases about a year ago and they never responded. (Southtown Homebrew didn't respond to my inquiry about inserts either.)

Regardless, I think I'd rather bet on the quality of the Neooldstore soft boxes -- We already know what the quality is like. Plus it would just be weird to have old games like Magician Lord in a snaplock.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Shock box inserts would all need to be resized for soft cases or snap locks.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Shock box inserts would all need to be resized for soft cases or snap locks.
Yep. The designs of the Neooldstore inserts look generally more official to me, but I don't know where they get them from. I've heard mixed reviews about the print quality.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Yep. The designs of the Neooldstore inserts look generally more official to me, but I don't know where they get them from. I've heard mixed reviews about the print quality.
so you want official AES looking inserts for your MVS games?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
so you want official AES looking inserts for your MVS games?
More or less. A lot of the shockbox designs have too many differences from the original thing.

I basically gave up the whole idea now. I prefer how the carts look on the shelf without any unofficial fan-made cases. The only reason I'd do it now is to protect the carts better.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
The inserts from NOS, so far as I can tell, are generally scans of either the US or Japanese official art and then laser printed. Colors are often not quite as bright as the original off-set prints, but very close. That said, I haven't seen their inserts for uber rare games like US Kizuna - so those could be bespoke designs. They also don't have inserts for Japanese carboard boxed games and some other older releases - just the US variants.

I had a US MSX, MOTW, Waku and a couple other inserts from them in the past, in which I've replaced all those "loose" games with CIB versions over the years but never was disappointed in the quality of their inserts and they seem to be exact copies of the AES art. They are, however, a couple millimeters off the authentic size which was my main gripe (and it's a small one).

The only other insert I have from them currently is for my copy of Sengoku 2, where the official insert (which I still have in storage) was badly damaged and I wanted a nicer looking one to display.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I've read people get excited about them being made from old moulds waised fwom their gwave, or supervised by some serious Quality Control SNK dude... Sounds about as likely as being handsigned by Michael Beard.
They are for sure not made from the old molds, as the design of these new ones is completely different.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Well, I emailed their customer services yesterday and got the reply that these are for "AES cartridges"... so anyone who has bought them to serve their MVS carts is going to be shit out of luck.

They avoided answering the second question I had regarding the molds... We'll have to assume the originals got binned years ago... hell even Playmore may have only been using up old stock with the handful of homecarts they published in the early 00s.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Although on saying that... remember a few years back, when SNK were selling shitloads of branded tat online and in pop-up stores in Akiba?

One of the things they did was release some T-shirts that came in snap-lock cases - anyone ever buy one of these? What were the cases like?

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Although on saying that... remember a few years back, when SNK were selling shitloads of branded tat online and in pop-up stores in Akiba?

One of the things they did was release some T-shirts that came in snap-lock cases - anyone ever buy one of these? What were the cases like?

Here ya go:
IMG_1379.jpeg
IMG_1380.jpeg
For additional reference, the t-shirt cases sold in the Neo Geo Land popup promo shops were similar to what was used for the old Neo Geo X cases, but cartridges fit better in the t-shirt case as the old NGX cases didn’t allow for as much room around cartridges if you removed the foam pad and placed a home cartridge:
IMG_1381.jpeg
IMG_1382.jpeg

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
My guess is the upcoming cases are additional stock/repurposing the mold(s) from whatever was used for all those special edition home cart style cases that have been released through pix n love, lrg, strictly limited, etc over these past few years:

IMG_1384.png
IMG_1386.jpeg
IMG_1387.jpeg

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
More or less. A lot of the shockbox designs have too many differences from the original thing.

I basically gave up the whole idea now. I prefer how the carts look on the shelf without any unofficial fan-made cases. The only reason I'd do it now is to protect the carts better.
Smart move. I used to have all mine in shock boxes but ended up selling them. I would consider putting them in hard plastic sleeves of some sort that would stand up straight and have the original labels visible.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Thanks for the photos!

Yeah, neither of those cases are a match for the original snaplock cases.

Interesting how none of these designs (and I include the NeoOldStore cases in this) can get the indentation where the top of the cart sits correct.

The NeoOldStore cases come close (overall) but only a total n00b wouldn't spot that they're not identical to the OG cases.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Well, I emailed their customer services yesterday and got the reply that these are for "AES cartridges"... so anyone who has bought them to serve their MVS carts is going to be shit out of luck.
Correct. MVS carts won't fit in either soft cases or snap locks. OTOH, homecarts will fit in MVS shock boxes.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
The inserts from NOS, so far as I can tell, are generally scans of either the US or Japanese official art and then laser printed. Colors are often not quite as bright as the original off-set prints, but very close. That said, I haven't seen their inserts for uber rare games like US Kizuna - so those could be bespoke designs. They also don't have inserts for Japanese carboard boxed games and some other older releases - just the US variants.

I had a US MSX, MOTW, Waku and a couple other inserts from them in the past, in which I've replaced all those "loose" games with CIB versions over the years but never was disappointed in the quality of their inserts and they seem to be exact copies of the AES art. They are, however, a couple millimeters off the authentic size which was my main gripe (and it's a small one).

The only other insert I have from them currently is for my copy of Sengoku 2, where the official insert (which I still have in storage) was badly damaged and I wanted a nicer looking one to display.
I'll second that on the quality. I have a few of their inserts for the mvs-aes carts I own, and the quality is very good.

I have seen some of the "repro" stuff, and while the quality is good, the colours are off. A seasoned AES collector should be able to spot the difference quite quickly from a photo, and especially in-hand. I dare say if the original print files ever saw the light of day, then the repro's would be 100% accurate visually... but whether the same paper stock is stock is still available after all these years... who knows.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I thought the title said "snack box"

:(

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Only use I'd see for those is replacing a NGDev case or two as their snaplock cases had very bad quality for the "snaps". Think I got 1 or 2 already coming off after opening it maybe 10 times...

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
I thought it would make a great Fake case for my fake neogeo wireless pad - maybe 2 can fit in one case. just needs some molded foam inserts.

BIGTYME

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Only use I'd see for those is replacing a NGDev case or two as their snaplock cases had very bad quality for the "snaps". Think I got 1 or 2 already coming off after opening it maybe 10 times...
Wow..just by unsnapping the clasp?
When I open up a snap lock,I just release the clasp without putting stress on that plastic hinge.
Just snap and lift.
BB