OFFICIAL N-G.com Star Trek Thread

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Raffi was by far the worst, most insufferable one, though. I'd rather they had kept any other season 1/2 character, maybe even all the other characters, rather than her. Jurati was bad, but only 80% as bad as Raffi. Jurati was irritating in a Barclay sort of way, which is not new to Star Trek.

It really throttled my excitement at the possibility of a spin-off as well. "Oh, she's coming too? Ugh...well, I guess......ok"

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It really throttled my excitement at the possibility of a spin-off as well. "Oh, she's coming too? Ugh...well, I guess......ok"
That, and if there's anything that everyone loves, it's a main character who is magically good at everything. Jack pointing at every station on the bridge, "Where should I sit? I can do that... I can do that... and that... and that... and that... I'm just okay at science, but I can do it..." It was like they were trying to flush away 10 episodes of goodwill in 60 seconds. Then they put him in the Counselor Troi chair. WTF?? In some nebulous undefined job.

If they move forward with a spinoff, I'll give it a shot. But after that scene, if they decide not to do it, I'll be perfectly fine.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
That, and if there's anything that everyone loves, it's a main character who is magically good at everything. Jack pointing at every station on the bridge, "Where should I sit? I can do that... I can do that... and that... and that... and that... I'm just okay at science, but I can do it..." It was like they were trying to flush away 10 episodes of goodwill in 60 seconds. Then they put him in the Counselor Troi chair. WTF?? In some nebulous undefined job.

If they move forward with a spinoff, I'll give it a shot. But after that scene, if they decide not to do it, I'll be perfectly fine.
True. It all felt silly and not thought out AT ALL

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Yeah, that's exactly what we need when Star Trek is finally starting to get back on track: A callback to the JJ Abrams movies we've all finally started putting behind us. Great thinking.

I finally watched the final 2 episodes. They were fine, but not as good as earlier episodes in the season. Still much better than the first two seasons, for whatever little that's worth. Still fits in that space between being TNG season 8 or a sequel to the garbage TNG movies, but unfortunately ends up feeling closer to the movies by the time the season wraps.

Things I liked: Picard mentioning the carpet. The producers resisting the urge to keep the Enterprise-D's bridge dimly lit to match the aesthetic of the rest of the show.

I did not, however, like Data flying the Enterprise-D into the Borg cube Millenium Falcon-style. Because that was so obviously what it was. Data even made an oblique reference to odds. It felt like Alex Kurtzman sticking his unwanted two cents in one last time. I also did not like them rechristening the Titan, which I guess is a nitpick, but why do that? You'd think that a starship that fought alone against the entire fleet to protect the Earth would be celebrated, not renamed.

And I feel like I missed something. An episode or a season or something. They mention at one point that the Borg haven't been seen for 10 years. WTF? They were seen last season. Even if history got rewritten with the season 2 time shenanighans, doesn't the season end with the Borg petitioning to join the Federation? Does season 3 somehow take place 10 years after season 2? What am I missing?
Calm down, I wasn't being entirely serious. It's just in good fun.

And you can hate, but I think Beyond was a really great movie and the way they incorporated Sabotage into it was pretty brilliant. I fully expected it to be total bullshit when I first saw it in the trailer, but they somehow they made it work.

It was a deliberate choice to be closer to the movies at the end, and I think it was a great choice. Showing the D kicking the crap out of that Borg cube was extremely satisfying, especially since the D was "plot nerfed" way too freaking much in Generations and sometimes in the show. If they wanted to quote ROTJ for the scene, I'm fine with it, because it was just that good.

I do agree with you on rechristening the Titan to be the Enterprise G. I think it should have been kept the Titan. Riker and Troi already put their stamp on the name with the previous ship. The Enterprise, excluding the A, has always been the most powerful flagship of the fleet at the time of commissioning. It took the fan service just a little too far, and plays into the "the hero ship must be named Enterprise" trap that Trek falls into too often.

The Borg 10 years thing was basically explained by Shaw in the Ten Forward scene with Jack and Jean Luc. The "Stargazer crap" involving the Jurati Borg isn't the real Borg collective, so in essence, Jurati Borg doesn't count as far as season 3 is concerned. They exist as a completely separate entity, though now with way Season 3 ended, they are, as far as we know, the last remaining Borg collective left.
Raffi was by far the worst, most insufferable one, though. I'd rather they had kept any other season 1/2 character, maybe even all the other characters, rather than her. Jurati was bad, but only 80% as bad as Raffi. Jurati was irritating in a Barclay sort of way, which is not new to Star Trek.
I think they did a fantastic job with rehabbing her character (literally and figuratively) in season 3. Her and Worf paired together really worked. She's past her drug addiction and trauma. She played a vital role in the plot. She didn't come off as annoying to me at all this time around.
Q said not to think of it linearly, meaning his appearance in this episode happened earlier than season 2 from his perspective. He's always moving around in time, so this just means him interacting with Jack happens at some point -- maybe years or even thousands of centuries -- before he dies.

But yeah, there's a ton of other stuff that makes it seem like the season 3 showrunner and writers hate Alex Kutzman as much as the fans do.
Terry's made it clear that there's absolutely no hate or malice towards the prior seasons. He was pretty heavily involved in season 2 as well as a co-producer. He just wanted to take the show in a very different direction for season 3 and give the fans what they want, and also give TNG the sendoff he felt they deserved after Nemesis totally flubbing the landing.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Raffi was by far the worst, most insufferable one, though.
100 percent. I *hated* that character through all 3 seasons. She was utterly worthless. Even in this season as a secret intelligence officer. Worf had to save her ass and do her job for her. And then the whole Seven/Raffi lesbo thing that was shoehorned into the 2nd season was just completely stupid and out of place.

Its like for that season they wanted to compete and one-up Revenge of Skywalker with the blink-and-youll-miss-it lesbian kiss.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I imagine Seven's pulsating clit implant went out like the terminator's pupil dying when raffi unveiled her pancake tits

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I also did not like them rechristening the Titan, which I guess is a nitpick, but why do that? You'd think that a starship that fought alone against the entire fleet to protect the Earth would be celebrated, not renamed.

This right here was a act of extreme disrespect, it's a honor for a ship to be awarded a suffix to its registry only to have the ship the registry was awarded to renamed, can't believe they did that.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Would be interesting if they rechristened the Titan as the Enterprise because they built a new Titan, perhaps as a flagship of the fleet.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Did we talk about how they filmed 45 minutes of that final poker scene? It was mostly ad-lib and just so genuine.

If you guys aren’t watching The Ready Room with Will Wheaton you really should.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Did we talk about how they filmed 45 minutes of that final poker scene? It was mostly ad-lib and just so genuine.

If you guys aren’t watching The Ready Room with Will Wheaton you really should.
Well the poker scene was genuine camaraderie from the cast as we all know this was in all likelihood the final time they will all rephrase their characters

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I noticed that they used CGI for exterior of the Enterprise-D. They never use actual models for the ships these days (like they did in Next Gen).

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
They've been using CGI models for over 30 years by now, even back in the TNG days, dull joe.
The original D models were sold a few years ago.

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
They've been using CGI models for over 30 years by now, even back in the TNG days, dull joe.
The original D models were sold a few years ago.
I still think the models look more real than CGI.

Fygee

20 Year Member
I noticed that they used CGI for exterior of the Enterprise-D. They never use actual models for the ships these days (like they did in Next Gen).
First Contact was the last Trek movie that used any practical models. DS9 and Voyager switched to CGI sometime around 1997 aside from reusing stock shots previously filmed prior. Been 100% CGI since then. Honestly, I miss the practical models too, if just for the beauty shots. CGI is much better for battle scenes.

Funny thing about it is one of the reasons they decided to destroy the D in Generations was to have a ship model that was much easier to film with. The D's wide saucer made filming with it a real pain in the ass.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I watched the Tuvix episode of Voyager because I had never seen it. I have to say the end of that episode is fucked. Kudos to the Doctor for being the only crew member with some balls. What an absolutely sad episode.

Fygee

20 Year Member
It's a great episode, and one of the few in Voyager that actually took some moral risks with real consequences.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
LOL.

I was really expecting Tuvix to sacrifice himself for Kes and/or because “the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one” but instead he just got murdered.

The episode really stands in stark contrast to The Measure of a Man. Where was a Picard parallel pointing out Starfleets directive to seek out new life, ie Tuvix.

Oh well.

Voyager unfortunately lacks the “hard choices must be made” theme we see in something like Battlestar Galactica. I think that’s what they were going for here but it fell a little flat for me.