Official A/V Thread

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
They arent available in the states so yeah

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Well I guess it's a bigger market than luxury video players.

Anyways, I got the Audio Technica M50x headphones. The sound quality is excellent and the ear cups are comfy, but the top isn't. I have to take them off and give my skull a rest after an hour. Seems like a stupid thing to overlook. Just pad it with better materials that cost an extra dollar per pair. Oh well.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I love the sound of those phones but yeah, comfort could be better. I sent mine back and went back to my old Sennheisers.

fake

15 Year Member
Secksy Shinola turntable

shinola-runwell-turntable-5.jpg

fake

15 Year Member
Don't hate it cuz it's beautiful.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Anyways, I got the Audio Technica M50x headphones. The sound quality is excellent and the ear cups are comfy, but the top isn't. I have to take them off and give my skull a rest after an hour. Seems like a stupid thing to overlook. Just pad it with better materials that cost an extra dollar per pair. Oh well.

I had this problem too when I first got mine - moved the top band just a little bit more forward and after a couple hours of getting used to them, they've been comfy for the last year+ now. I've moved 4 guys in my office over to M50x's from their crappy Beats and Bose headphones - really can't beat the Audio Technica's, especially for the price. I pair mine with a FiiO amp with a slight bass boost (hardware bass boost circuit, not EQ/software) and they really thump for regular listening volumes (fall a bit short when you really pump them up...but I shouldn't ever listen to them that loud for more than 5 minutes anyway so no big loss).

On another topic, has anybody used Focal speakers before? Supposed to be very good quality, and I just picked up the Focal Sib and Cub 5.1 set and don't know if I don't like the speakers, don't like the receiver (Marantz NR1608, also new) -or how the receiver processes my sound, or don't like the quality of some of my audio recordings (all 320kbps MP3's) I have or what...some songs which sound great on my headphones, and sound like they have a really high quality of production and such, just don't sound good on my new system whatsoever...

Hard to explain what sounds bad about it. Like the MP3 is a crappy 64kbps rip from the early days of the internet. No clear separation of bass and treble and vocals - little bit echo-ish. I'm so new to modern receivers (last one was from like ~1995), I don't even know where to start with tweaking the speakers. Everything is run through my Mac Mini and iTunes (which has sounded great with two other speaker/receiver sets, headphones, etc.).

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Don't hate it cuz it's beautiful.

Built-in phono pre with no option for an outboard pre = ban plz. Acceptable on a $250 turntable for n00bs, not on a $2500 TT. Shows who their audience is.

Just buy a VPI Prime Scout for less money.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Built-in phono pre with no option for an outboard pre = ban plz. Acceptable on a $250 turntable for n00bs, not on a $2500 TT. Shows who their audience is.

Just buy a VPI Prime Scout for less money.

Yup. No one who is serious about their setup is going to pay $2500 for a turntable and have no say about the pre-amp. That TT is for a casual who fancies himself an audiophile, and wants his friends to think he's the latter and not the former.

fake

15 Year Member
I really don't think it's for ~*audiophiles*~ regardless of what the marketing copy says. It's for people with money to burn who value craftsmanship - the same people who buy their watches and bags. I'm not saying I would buy it. I just think it looks great.

fake

15 Year Member
Not craftmanship. How it looks. I'm certain if someone were to do an internal component review on it, it would be trash.

I'm not talking about the components. I'm talking about the build quality.

madman

It's actually mostly designed by VPI, so it's certainly not garbage. Like I said it's a "lifestyle" piece like all of Shinola's products. I don't hate it because it looks like, I dislike it because for the money there are much better turntables.

fake

15 Year Member
I had this problem too when I first got mine - moved the top band just a little bit more forward and after a couple hours of getting used to them, they've been comfy for the last year+ now. I've moved 4 guys in my office over to M50x's from their crappy Beats and Bose headphones - really can't beat the Audio Technica's, especially for the price. I pair mine with a FiiO amp with a slight bass boost (hardware bass boost circuit, not EQ/software) and they really thump for regular listening volumes (fall a bit short when you really pump them up...but I shouldn't ever listen to them that loud for more than 5 minutes anyway so no big loss).

Good call. They're much less uncomfortable that way, but still not ideal. I have a pair of Incase headphones that are surprisingly great, and they're super comfy. I keep those in my room for music and whatnot. But I need the Technicas for everyday stuff, work, and monitoring mics while shooting. All of my coworkers use the Sony MDRs which are nice but not quite what I like.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
All of my coworkers use the Sony MDRs which are nice but not quite what I like.

Those Sony's are the popular studio type a lot of people/companies use, right? I didn't care for them (a bit too flat if my memory serves). Tried Sennheiser Momentum 2.0's (beautiful looking, and comfy, but not quite as good sounding as the M50x's), V-MODA Crossfade LP2's and one other model (absolutely horrible...not even tight bass like they're known for), one of the half? open types (forget brand, they're on many of the under $300 lists), and tried maybe 5-7 types of ~$200-300+ Bose and Beats headphones from co-workers (all of which just weren't good at all...can't believe they paid that much money for them), and I'm still in love with the Audio Technica's. I wasn't willing to pay like $300-500+ for the really highly rated ones you see on all the audiophile forums, so the M50's for $120 was perfect for me (especially when they outperformed sets a good $100 more).

fake

15 Year Member
Yeah, I wouldn't say any brand or model is the standard for shooting and mixing for the type of stuff I do. You do want something relatively flat and something that doesn't need an amp though. I think they just like them because they're cheaper than Senheisers, since several of them are kind of airheads with their gear and constantly lose stuff. It's good to have the Technicas because I won't mix them up with their headphones, too. They're always using each other's which is grody IMO.

madman

The first round of the last batch of Oppo 205s have shipped. I decided to put myself on the list. There are supposed to be 3 different waves of shipments.

It's kind of silly having a separate CDP, DVD/blu-ray player and DAC at this point. I'd put my CDP into storage and sell the DAC. Far fewer cables and remotes this way.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Anyone have any experience with any mid range DAP's? Like $400-$750.00 range?

Curious how they compare to vinyl.

Really, vinyl is just taking up so much room..
I've been seriously considering selling off my records and going digital for convenience and portability. Mostly in my attempt to live a more material-less life style. Probably save a few $$$ as well.

Probably would want a player that can easily be connected to my integrated amp.

Where's the best place to buy high quality digital audio albums?

Last edited:

madman

Maybe I'm missing something, but the digital downloads I've looked up have been in the $15-30 range. Kind of cost prohibitive IMO. I have been thinking about scooping a digital music server in combination with what I mentioned about paring down to just the Oppo 205. Right now I just play the few digital albums I have off a Mac Mini.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Selling my Music Hall MMF 5.1 & Project Tube Box II amp. The TT needs a new cart and calibrated aside from that full packaging etc. shit is clean as fuck. The amp is good to go, NOS SOVTEK tubes, except the power supply shell comes apart if you jiggle it. LMK

Amp is $300 shipped
TT is $625 plus shipping

madman

Selling my Music Hall MMF 5.1 & Project Tube Box II amp. The TT needs a new cart and calibrated aside from that full packaging etc. shit is clean as fuck. The amp is good to go, NOS SOVTEK tubes, except the power supply shell comes apart if you jiggle it. LMK

Amp is $300 shipped
TT is $625 plus shipping

This isn't the market. Reported to mods.

Did you recently order an ultrasonic cleaner?