offical wwe thread

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
So what's everybody's take on Viceland's "Dark Side of the Ring" series? I've watched the first two episodes and nearly all of the third (bruiser Brody).

I thought that the second episode (Screwjob) was a bit two mark-centric and delved too much on Cornette/Russo. The first episode was interesting. From what I saw of the Brody episode, it struck the right balance.

I like them. Still need to watch tonight's episode. A little more insight is given than what I've known, so that's good for me. I think the screwjob episode gives a different perspective from who was there other than Vince, Shawn and Bret (even if Bret is in the episode). In fact, that is a way to describe the series so far.

Burgers5750

Kabuki Klasher
So what's everybody's take on Viceland's "Dark Side of the Ring" series? I've watched the first two episodes and nearly all of the third (bruiser Brody).

I've loved it, but any serious wrestling documentary is fine by me.

For some reason we got the Brody episode first here in the UK a few weeks back. Amazing to think that most of the wrestlers in that locker room are still alive today. For me, Brody's murder is probably the biggest black-mark against wrestling in it's history. It didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. Gonzales or the Colon's would've had to break their silence, although it said at the end they were approached for comment.

Every episode after that has been by the books. Cornette's admission to giving Vince the double-cross finish was the shocker for me but he's got nothing to lose now anyway and has made peace with almost everyone involved except Russo, who tried to say it was his idea anyway, fucking idiot.

JoeAwesome

The love to hate relationship of Russo and Cornette is hilarious. One man's stuck in the 80s of wrestling; the other in the 90s.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Cornette and Russo are both walking shit bags in addition to being stuck decades in the past. Both just need to fuck off a day retire from public life.

famicommander

15 Year Member
ROH's parent company, Sinclair Broadcast Group, just bought 21 former regional Fox Sports networks. They also bought a minority share in YES and will be starting up their own regional sports network in Chicago which will broadcast Cubs games. So in all they will be operating 23 cable sports networks by 2020.

The general assumption is that ROH will soon begin airing on every one of those channels. This will likely get them either a TV debut or a much better timeslot in many big markets including Chicago, New York, Phoenix, San Diego, New Orleans, Indianapolis, Orlando, Miami, Detroit, Charlotte, Raleigh, Kansas City, St. Louis, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Columbus, Oklahoma City, Atlanta, Memphis, Nashville, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Tampa, Los Angeles, Anaheim, and Milwaukee among others.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Jim Cornette is a great treasure trove of territorial wrestling records.

It is too bad that wrestling is so looked down on by regular society. Once he kicks the bucket, his personal collection should be archived a at a university where it can be preserved and curated for future scholarship. But it won't.

Is he stuck in the past? I don't think so.
Is he Nostalgic? Yes.
Does he make a good case about how wrestling was presented BITD? Yes
Does he understand that that the genie can't be put back in the bottle? Yes
Is is complementary of modern performers and promotions? Yes

famicommander

15 Year Member
He's a toxic, emotional nutcase that physically assaults anybody who disagrees with him.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Apparently last night's Raw had extra commercials. WWE is not hitting the viewership targets they used to sell ad space to companies, so in order to help appease them they are running some extra ones.

If this trend doesn't reverse when Smackdown moves to Fox it could tear the whole TV deal down.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I watched it, it did seem pretty desperate bringing in all the top Smackdown talent to try to boost the ratings. The opening was fairly entertaining at least, then they had a Wrestlemania rematch where Drew McIntyre had to carry Roman Reigns the whole time, and a WWE title match on the wrong show. It wouldn't have been a bad Raw but they could have easily removed an entire hour and the show would have been better for it.

Best part of the night was when Snitsky 2.0 came out, slaughtered everyone and the crowd was totally dead. No cheers, no boos, they were just sitting there bored out of their minds as yet another big monster that can't wrestle is shoved down their throats.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Funny that their idea for saving Raw's ratings is to bring people over from the even lower-rated Smackdown.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
So by continuing to work, will The Revival get out of their contracts faster than Sasha Banks and Luke Harper will if they just sit at home like PAC did?

JoeAwesome

So by continuing to work, will The Revival get out of their contracts faster than Sasha Banks and Luke Harper will if they just sit at home like PAC did?

Supposedly, but the rumor is they've "added" time to Dash's contract since he was out with a jaw injury.

famicommander

15 Year Member

Yeah, if they do not work WWE will simply freeze their contracts until they return like they did with Bryan Danielson.

PAC could still be sitting. He just sat out so long that they took the hint that he was never going back and let him go.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Well, Raw's viewership went up this week.

It's still lower than every other non-holiday episode in the history of the show, but it's higher than last week.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I just hope that the XFL loses just enough money that Vince and family will keep pouring money into it, causing him to lose control of the WWE.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
-Jeff Cobb, Famous B, Willie Mack, and Sonny Kiss (XO Lishus) are all about to sue Lucha Underground to get out of their deals. Apparently even though they killed Jeff Cobb's character on-screen and told him he was released from his deal, they actually didn't. They are now sending ROH cease and desist letters for booking Cobb and Mack even though Lucha Underground will likely never tape another episode.

Any update on Jeff? In the past two weeks he has dropped both of his belts.

famicommander

15 Year Member
NXT has been confirmed to still lose significant amounts of money. Total revenues don't even cover talent salary, let alone production costs, travel, lodging, advertising, etc.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
TJ perkins said the best was when he was working the main roster on a NXT deal since he was getting roster appearance money but his NXT contract was covering transpiration, per diems, lodging and all that stuff.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I watch MLW on YouTube every week and it's pretty good. Room for improvement and growth with BeIN.