offical wwe thread

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Glad to see someone else was able to get tickets also. Charlotte is going to be a hot bed for wrestling the first of next year with Ring of Honor, NJPW, and WWE in town just weeks apart.

I checked the website early and I’m glad I did since they were up 3 hours early. It is crazy the amount of big shows early next year. I’m going to the ROH show but I’m not sure on the WWE show since it is on a Friday. Also the AML show in Winston looks good with Bandito and Puma King on the card

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Anthem tried to sell Impact to the All Elite Wrestling group. They declined.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Sure, like AEW would want to assume the shitty tv contract.

famicommander

15 Year Member
2.jpg

New record for ROH in average attendance and total attendance. Roughly a 10% increase year over year.

The two yellow highlighted numbers are out of date; those were the tickets sold as of 3 weeks before show time. If the author gets updated information he'll tell us.

Just a glance at the list suggests:
-It was a massive mistake to do a second UK tour in 2018. Look at those drops for the second tour.
-Philly is still a great market but they hit it too often. Same with New York.
-Obviously the NJPW crossover shows are a big hit too but again, they could be over saturating. The Global Wars tour later in the year did worse than the War of the Worlds Tour did earlier in some of the very same buildings.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Royal Oak...I wished they advertised better. I'd probably have gone it's 15-20 minutes away.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Well they sold that one out. They probably didn't advertise it at all besides announcing it on their website.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I know the venue, same one nxt uses...too small. Great place to see a card but usually hosts lesser leagues.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
It has its own thread but I thought I'd post it here as well...

U.S. pro wrestling announcer, 'Mean Gene' Okerlund, dies at 76

(Reuters) - Professional wrestling announcer Gene Okerlund, nicknamed "Mean Gene" for his verbal sparring with the gimmicky sport's muscled gladiators including Hulk Hogan and "Macho Man" Randy Savage, died on Wednesday, World Wrestling Entertainment said. He was 76.

Okerlund launched his interviewing career at the American Wrestling Association in the 1970s and went on to work for the World Wrestling Federation, later renamed the WWE and World Championship Wrestling.

"WWE extends its condolences to Okerlund's family, friends and fans," the organization said on its website.

WWE officials did not respond immediately to queries over the circumstances of Okerlund's demise. Other representatives of Okerlund could not be reached for comment.

Dubbed "Mean Gene" by professional wrestler and interview subject Jesse "The Body" Ventura, Okerlund captivated a national audience with humor and sarcasm as he bantered with the biggest personalities on the world wrestling stage.

He debuted singing talent in the middle of his career when he sang the national anthem in 1985 at the first Wrestlemania, an annual star-studded wrestling competition.

Several professional wrestlers expressed their condolences on Twitter on Wednesday.

Hulk Hogan, one of the sport's best-known former champions, said on Twitter: "Mean Gene I love you my brother."

Hogan inducted Okerlund into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2006.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
It has its own thread but I thought I'd post it here as well...

U.S. pro wrestling announcer, 'Mean Gene' Okerlund, dies at 76

(Reuters) - Professional wrestling announcer Gene Okerlund, nicknamed "Mean Gene" for his verbal sparring with the gimmicky sport's muscled gladiators including Hulk Hogan and "Macho Man" Randy Savage, died on Wednesday, World Wrestling Entertainment said. He was 76.

Okerlund launched his interviewing career at the American Wrestling Association in the 1970s and went on to work for the World Wrestling Federation, later renamed the WWE and World Championship Wrestling.

"WWE extends its condolences to Okerlund's family, friends and fans," the organization said on its website.

WWE officials did not respond immediately to queries over the circumstances of Okerlund's demise. Other representatives of Okerlund could not be reached for comment.

Dubbed "Mean Gene" by professional wrestler and interview subject Jesse "The Body" Ventura, Okerlund captivated a national audience with humor and sarcasm as he bantered with the biggest personalities on the world wrestling stage.

He debuted singing talent in the middle of his career when he sang the national anthem in 1985 at the first Wrestlemania, an annual star-studded wrestling competition.

Several professional wrestlers expressed their condolences on Twitter on Wednesday.

Hulk Hogan, one of the sport's best-known former champions, said on Twitter: "Mean Gene I love you my brother."

Hogan inducted Okerlund into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2006.

Another of my childhood hero passes, RIP Mean Gene

And the roster gets smaller
18188-WWF_WrestleFest_(US_set_1)-1486896466.png

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I watched the Wrestle Talk review and they made it sound fantastic.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Still no rumors on the future of Ring of Honor. It was weird not to see them in some form at Wrestle Kingdom this year.

They have lost the Elite, SCU, and Marty and Flip will be both going to AEW once their contracts are up. It is also rumor that WWE is interested in Dalton Castle, The Kingdom, and The Briscoes. Hopefully AEW will be doing some inter-promotional shows with ROH like they are rumored to do with NJPW.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Still no rumors on the future of Ring of Honor. It was weird not to see them in some form at Wrestle Kingdom this year.

They have lost the Elite, SCU, and Marty and Flip will be both going to AEW once their contracts are up. It is also rumor that WWE is interested in Dalton Castle, The Kingdom, and The Briscoes. Hopefully AEW will be doing some inter-promotional shows with ROH like they are rumored to do with NJPW.

ROH will be fine. They brought in PCO, Brody King, Luchasaurus, PJ Black, Trevor Lee, Bandido, Jeff Cobb, Tracy Williams, Colin Delaney, Mark Haskins, Zack Sabre, Juice Robinson, etc. And WWE had interest in Silas Young, Beer City Bruiser, and Flip Gordon but all re-signed with ROH.

And I very much doubt Taven, Briscoes, or Castle go to WWE.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
ROH will be fine. They brought in PCO, Brody King, Luchasaurus, PJ Black, Trevor Lee, Bandido, Jeff Cobb, Tracy Williams, Colin Delaney, Mark Haskins, Zack Sabre, Juice Robinson, etc. And WWE had interest in Silas Young, Beer City Bruiser, and Flip Gordon but all re-signed with ROH.

And I very much doubt Taven, Briscoes, or Castle go to WWE.

Well, we have two big upcoming ROH shows in my town so I hope the company keeps going up. Never was a huge fan of The Elite anyway besides Marty.

Is Jack Sabre Jr an official ROH guy now?

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
Well, we have two big upcoming ROH shows in my town so I hope the company keeps going up. Never was a huge fan of The Elite anyway besides Marty.

Is Jack Sabre Jr an official ROH guy now?

He hasn't signed but they intend to book him fairly regularly the way they've done with Kushida.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Impact Wrestling Homecoming PPV Results: 1-6-19

Results courtesy of PWTorch.com (direct link to results).

(1) Jake Crist vs. Ethan Page vs. Rich Swann vs. Trey Miguel – Ultimate X Match for the vacant X-Division Championship.

All four competitors immediately ran up the X Division structure to try and grab the title. Ethan Page then threw Miguel off the top rope onto the other two competitors. About five minutes into the crowd started chanting “This is Impact”. Swann was nowhere to be seen early on but made a comeback by hitting a corkscrew press over the top rope onto the other wrestlers. About ten minutes into the match, Miguel did a moon sault off the Ultimate X structure onto his opponents. Callis has mentioned about five times that he invented the Ultimate x match. Crist was holding on to the cable when he was speared by Ethan Page. Swann and Miguel both hit the ring, but Swann beat Miguel up the structure to grab the X Division title for the win.

WINNER: Rich Swann (15 Minutes)

Overall the match was good, but definitely not the best Ultimate X Division match I’ve seen. Decent way to open the PPV.

(2) Allie & Su Yung vs. Kiera Hogan & Jordynne Grace – Tag Team match.

The match opened with chaos as Su Yung and Allie double teamed Kiera Hogan as the referee tried to get Grace in her corner. For some reason during this tag-team match, the teams were on the opposite corners than they usually are. Hogan finally made it to her corner for the hot tag. Grace went through the ropes and clipped her foot on the middle rope, but she didn’t seem to be injured. Grace then gave a powerbomb to Su Yung while giving Allie a power slam. Yung then blew mist in Grace’s face which sent her to the outside. Hogan was distracted by this and Allie hit her with a codebreaker. Allie then put a bloody glove in Hogan’s mouth which resulted in a tap out victory for Allie and Su Yung.

WINNER: Allie & Su Yung (9 Minutes)

-After the match, Yung and Allie were going to put Hogan in a casket, which was brought out by the undead bridesmaids. When the casket opened Rosemary came out and saved Hogan by throwing Yung into the bridesmaids. Allie looked shocked and ran away when she was confronted by Rosemary.

I could care less about the undead realm and this storyline, but it wasn’t a bad in-ring match.

-A video package aired showing the history between Eddie Edwards and Moose.

(3) Eddie Edwards vs. Moose – Falls Count Anywhere match.

Edwards attacked Moose from behind as he was making his way to the ring. They brawled around ringside when Moose gave Edwards two brutal powerbombs onto the corner of the ring. Moose attempted to powerbomb Edwards, but he countered and threw Moose to the outside to then hit him with a suicide dive. Edwards then dove off a balcony on to Moose. The lighting was terrible for this spot. Moose also took multiple unprotected chair shots to the head. Edwards then suplexed Moose off the top rope onto a pile of chairs. Edwards threw Moose out of the ring onto a guardrail that was previously set up by Moose. Edwards brought a kendo stick into the ring and repeatedly hit Moose with it. Alisha Edwards then ran down the stage and took the kendo stick from Edwards. She seemed upset at first, but then she hit Moose repeatedly with it. The crowd began to chant “She’s hardcore”. Edwards then hit his signature DDT for the victory.

WINNER: Eddie Edwards (10 Minutes)

This was a decent match with a good finish. You really can’t have Moose kidnap Eddie’s wife and come out on top. Also, Moose took multiple unprotected chair shot to the head and a kendo stick to the head. It’s 2019 there shouldn’t be unprotected chair shots like that in wrestling.

(4) Sami Callihan vs. Willie Mack – Singles match.

The first half of this match was back and forth with Mack showing off his agility. Towards the end of the match, Callihan gave Mack a death valley driver off the top rope and Mack kicked out at one. Mack then tried going up to the top rope, but Dave Crist interfered sending Mack to the canvas. Callihan then gave a piledriver to mack for the victory.

WINNER: Sami Callihan (11 Minutes)

Considering this match had little to no build it was quite enjoyable. There was no storyline advances with Callihan’s relationship with Swann which was a bit disappointing.

(5) Eli Drake vs. Abyss – Monster’s Ball match.

Abyss quickly put a staple in Drake’s chest. Abyss gave Drake an over the top rope belly to belly suplex onto a pair of tables. Abyss brought thumbtacks into the ring, but Drake picked up a few thumbtacks and by accident threw them into the Referees face. Abyss hit a black hole slam on Drake, but the ref was in the corner recovering. Abyss then threw Drake into a pile of thumbtacks but was unable to get a three count. Drake countered by successfully throwing thumbtacks in the face of Abyss. Drake then hit Abyss with a steel chair repeatedly which led to Drake getting the victory.

WINNER: Eli Drake (10 Minutes)

Hopefully, Drake can now move on to a better program and be relevant again.

(6) LAX (c) vs. The Lucha Bros – Impact World Tag Team Championship match.

The Lucha Bros started off fast as the took the early advantage over LAX. Back and forth action took place as Santana did a moon sault off the middle rope onto Pentagon. Fenix did a running suicide dive to the outside with the help of Pentagon. Pentagon then hit an over the top rope suicide dive onto all three wrestlers. Pentagon hit wicked step-up Canadian destroyer on Santana and the fans began to chant “This is Impact”. Santana was piledrived by Pentagon with help from Fenix, but the pin was broken up by Ortiz. LAX got the victory by hitting a cutter, codebreaker, and superkick on Fenix.

WINNER: LAX (14 Minutes)

-After the match, Konnan got in the ring and said he was wrong about both teams. Then both LAX and The Lucha Bros posed with Konnan.

Like expected, this was a great match. I am a little disappointed Konnan didn’t play a role in the finish it would’ve been cool to see a heel turn for him.

(7) Tessa Blanchard (c) vs. Taya Valkyrie – Impact Knockouts Championship match. Gail Kim is the Special Guest Referee.

Blanchard dominated the first half and Gail Kim has been out of position on every pinfall attempt. Taya regained control, but missed a moon sault of the top rope which led to a spear by Blanchard. Taya moved right in front of Kim which led to Blanchard hitting Kim. Kim and Blanchard got into it which led to Kim hitting her finisher on Blanchard. Taya then picked up the pinfall to win the Impact Knockouts championship. Taya was heavily booed by the crowd after the match.

WINNER: Taya Valkyrie (13 Minutes)

I don’t agree with this finish whatsoever, but we will see how they book Taya as champion. I think most fans wanted to see a Blanchard vs Grace feud but Impact officials obviously want something else.

(8) Johnny Impact (c) vs. Brian Cage – Impact World Championship match.

Slow paced back and forth action to start the match. Cage hit back-to-back backbreakers on Impact to gain momentum. Impact then hit top rope corkscrew dive onto cage and Impact’s knee landed right on Cage’s face. Cage hit an F5 on Impact but he kicked out at two and a half. Impact made a rally and set up Cage for starship pain which he successfully hit, but Cage kicked out at two. Impact then hit a top rope Spanish-fly on Cage but he kicked out at one. Cage rallied and hit multiple powerbombs on Impact but Impact got to the bottom rope (barely). When Cage was thrown to the outside he pushed Impact’s Survivor friend which distracted the referee. Cage appeared to kick out but the referee rang the bell and he successfully retained.

WINNER: Johnny Impact

-After the match, Taya Valkyrie came to the ring and celebrated with Impact. As Homecoming was going off the air, Impact was attacked by Killer Kross. Kross beat up Impact and threw Valkyrie into the crowd.

This was the best Johnny Impact match I’ve ever seen but what a terrible finish. I have no idea what they are going to do with Cage as it seems Kross will be Impact’s next challenger.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'll just post this here.

I lol'ed at the YOU SICK FUCK chant.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Kenny Omega and Kushida are leaving NJPW.

Omega is widely expected to go to All Elite Wrestling but WWE also is said to have put in a massive bid for his services.

Kushida will likely go to WWE

Also, All Elite will not have a working relationship with NJPW/ROH/CMLL/RevPro. They wanted one but the other promotions consider them competition now that they are signing guys to exclusive deals.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Kenny Omega and Kushida are leaving NJPW.

Omega is widely expected to go to All Elite Wrestling but WWE also is said to have put in a massive bid for his services.

Kushida will likely go to WWE

Also, All Elite will not have a working relationship with NJPW/ROH/CMLL/RevPro. They wanted one but the other promotions consider them competition now that they are signing guys to exclusive deals.

And there’s a baffling idea from the Elite, how are you going to offer big money and try to sign folks to a exclusive contract and then be puzzled other feds don’t want to work for you? Hope the pa is worth it to job to Bucks & Cody 24/7

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
That's okay. I'm sure that Billy Corgan and his traveling side show will work with them.

famicommander

15 Year Member
All Elite Roster so far:
* Cody Rhodes (Executive Vice President)
* Matt Jackson of The Young Bucks (Executive Vice President)
* Nick Jackson of The Young Bucks (Executive Vice President)
* Brandi Rhodes (Chief Brand Officer)
* Billy Gunn (Agent)
* Chris Jericho
* PAC fka Neville
* "Hangman" Adam Page
* Britt Baker
* Joey Janela with Penelope Ford
* MJF
* Christopher Daniels
* Frankie Kazarian
* Scorpio Sky

Jericho and PAC.

Of note, PAC had his Dragon Gate title belts with him at their press conference thing. So it looks like in lieu of a NJPW partnership they picked their closest competitor.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
It is funny that Cody and the Jacksons were able to join the bullet club and create thier own brand.