offical wwe thread

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Joey Styles fired from EVOLVE

During a segment with Stokely Hathaway at EVOLVE 72, Joey Styles turned ring announcer to Joanna Rose and said, Joanna, you look great tonight and if our next President were here tonight, he'd want to grab you by the? Styles did not finish the punch line. EVOLVE booker Gabe Sapolsky immediately posted on Twitter that he was upset by Styles's comment writing, We deeply apologize for Joey Styles comments and am furious.

Styles was allowed to announce the main event of EVOLVE Champion Timothy Thatcher vs. Drew Gulak. After the main event, Sapolsky took to Twitter again. We parted ways with Joey Styles and that's my final comment on this, he wrote. Thank you for your support. FloSlam tweeted out support of Sapolsky's decision to terminate Styles on Twitter after the show as well.

According to one source, Sapolsky had instructed the roster to stay away from political commentary in their promos, as he wanted to provide people with an escape after election week. Sapolsky confirmed this in an exchange with Cornette on Twitter today. Cornette wrote: Joey Styles gets fired for funny p grabbing joke, but the unfunny ass-wipe that started it all gets elected POTUS? WTF is wrong w/people? Sapolsky replied: Jim, if you specifically instructed someone not to do something like that on a show & they did it, you would have gone after them with a bat.

Last edited:

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Cornette needs to stfu

Yeah not a good year for Styles, I guess at this point if TNA picks him up then their commentary team actually levels up

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Joey Styles is still the best in the business.

ROH should hire him.
TNA should hire him
WWE should (re)hire him.

If WWE were smart they'd go Mauro solo on Smackdown and Styles solo on Raw.

I can't imagine how much more watered down WWE will be if Trump appoints Linda McMahon to a cabinet position as the rumors are saying.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Joey Styles also hates to travel or that was the reason during his WWE days for why he was running the website and on twitter he hasn't mentioned taking any new booking as those Evolve shows had been close to home for him

Or he might just leave the business altogether

Shame as while he's my #1 fav commentator when the bosses ask you not to mention anything relating to the presidency to give folks a break from all that shit for fucks sake don't do it

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Goldberg injured

Bill Goldberg is facing Brock Lesnar at WWE Survivor Series 2016 this Sunday, and while the match is still on, it seems that one of the two performers will be heading into the match with an injury.

Goldberg confirmed to NBC Sports that he suffered an injury during the brawl that ended Monday Night Raw this week, as the former WCW champion fought off several security guards in order to clear the ring for a Lesnar confrontation. Needless to say, Goldberg isn't exactly feeling great.

My body feels horrible. I tweaked my shoulder last night (on Raw), Goldberg said. but that doesn't mean in five days that I'm not going to come out kicking ass and taking names like I always do.

So while Goldberg may not be feeling 100 percent, he'll still going to go through with the match. Of course, even if pro wrestling wasn't already an injury-prone business, I'd still expect Goldberg to end up getting hurt, if for no other reason than because it's been twelve years since he's done this. So there's bound to be ring rust. It also doesn't help that WWE fast-tracked this match after signing the deal for Goldberg vs. Lesnar in October. Goldberg really needed at least until the Royal Rumble to prepare and get back in ring shape. WWE could have even sent a guy like Curtis Axel or Curt Hawkins to help him get ring-ready again like they have for guys like The Undertaker, The Rock and even Lesnar.

Last edited:

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Goldberg injured

Bill Goldberg is facing Brock Lesnar at WWE Survivor Series 2016 this Sunday, and while the match is still on, it seems that one of the two performers will be heading into the match with an injury.

Goldberg confirmed to NBC Sports that he suffered an injury during the brawl that ended Monday Night Raw this week, as the former WCW champion fought off several security guards in order to clear the ring for a Lesnar confrontation. Needless to say, Goldberg isn't exactly feeling great.

My body feels horrible. I tweaked my shoulder last night (on Raw), Goldberg said. but that doesn't mean in five days that I'm not going to come out kicking ass and taking names like I always do.

So while Goldberg may not be feeling 100 percent, he'll still going to go through with the match. Of course, even if pro wrestling wasn't already an injury-prone business, I'd still expect Goldberg to end up getting hurt, if for no other reason than because it's been twelve years since he's done this. So there's bound to be ring rust. It also doesn't help that WWE fast-tracked this match after signing the deal for Goldberg vs. Lesnar in October. Goldberg really needed at least until the Royal Rumble to prepare and get back in ring shape. WWE could have even sent a guy like Curtis Axel or Curt Hawkins to help him get ring-ready again like they have for guys like The Undertaker, The Rock and even Lesnar.

This is going to be awful.

Thank goodness for Takeover on Saturday.

famicommander

15 Year Member
LU_S3_EP311_2397-1200x800.jpg

Sexy Star won the Lucha Underground Championship in Aztec Warfare, pinning Mil Muertes after former champion Matanza was eliminated earlier in the match.

She's the first woman to win the top overall championship in a major promotion.

Also during the match:
tumblr_ogstg8EXFS1s05wxzo3_400.gif

Pentagon Jr got attacked by an army of sexy Chinese assassins

WWE calls their women's division a revolution while Lucha Underground is doing stuff like that.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Sexy Star is probably the worst female wrestler in Lucha Underground, but her willingness to take huge bumps, do crazy spots, and bleed has made her hugely popular.

Ivelisse is probably the best female wrestler they have but she keeps breaking her ankle.

I have some awesome gifs of the women but I'm on my phone.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I'm not a big fan of mixed-gender matches - one side always has to hold back

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I want to know how Jeff Cobb (Matanza Cueto) didn't end up in WWE developmental.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Sexy Star is probably the worst female wrestler in Lucha Underground, but her willingness to take huge bumps, do crazy spots, and bleed has made her hugely popular.

Ivelisse is probably the best female wrestler they have but she keeps breaking her ankle.

I have some awesome gifs of the women but I'm on my phone.

Agreed. Ivelisse is the better wrestler.

I'm not a big fan of mixed-gender matches - one side always has to hold back

I'm starting to be a fan of the matches because it looks like they don't hold back. Chair shots, pile drivers and suplexes go both ways. But I will say it's still not believable to see Mil Muertes lose to Sexy Star, or for Taya to have a chance against Cage, or Ivelisse against Matanza Cueto, especially with who those men have beaten and how they've beaten them.

I want to know how Jeff Cobb (Matanza Cueto) didn't end up in WWE developmental.

He probably doesn't have "the look" WWE want.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I love all the hard bumps the women of LU take. It reminds of FMW legends like Megumi Kudo and Combat Toyoda and their barbed wire matches.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Is Sexy Star pinning Mil Muertes any less believable than Rey Mysterio pinning Big Show or Kane?

And remember, Lucha Underground has drsgons, aliens, supernatural characters, etc.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
So Lucha Underground isn't even a real wrestling promotion, right?

It's a more of a stylized TV show?

It seems kind of bad. What's redeeming about it (serious question?)

JoeAwesome

Is Sexy Star pinning Mil Muertes any less believable than Rey Mysterio pinning Big Show or Kane?

And remember, Lucha Underground has drsgons, aliens, supernatural characters, etc.

Yes, Sexy Star pinning Mil Muertes is less believable than Rey Mysterio pinning Big Show or Kane. Rey's beaten giants before, so it's now expected, but it's not so easy to believe a woman built like Sexy Star can beat a man built like Mil Muertes. Stereotype or not, you expect a manhandling (no pun intended) by the male wrestler.

More than anything, I don't like Sexy Star's work. It always appears stilted compared to Ivelisse's.

famicommander

15 Year Member

-heavy emphasis on match quality
-they don't ban awesome stuff like piledrivers, chair shots, high angle suplexes, etc
-every single character has their own arc. nothing is filler and nobody drifts aimlessly through the lower/mid cards
-no divisions for weight, gender, style, etc. Just a world title, midcard title, and trios tag titles
-wide variety of match types
-Little to no censorship. They say shit and bitch without getting bleeped, they allow more sexualized characters, they allow blood

It's a TV show where conflicts are decided in wrestling matches

It's easily the best weekly wrestling show since the heyday of Hardcore TV.

Think of it like AAA lucha crossed with ECW, the first Mortal Kombat film, a classic Bruce Lee movie, and a little Mexican soap opera thrown in for good measure

JoeAwesome

My attraction to it is as a stylized TV show, it doesn't take itself too seriously, except for the wrestling. It can be gimmicky, but most matches show some athleticism I haven't seen with other major products, WWE and TNA, specifically.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
-heavy emphasis on match quality
-they don't ban awesome stuff like piledrivers, chair shots, high angle suplexes, etc
-every single character has their own arc. nothing is filler and nobody drifts aimlessly through the lower/mid cards
-no divisions for weight, gender, style, etc. Just a world title, midcard title, and trios tag titles
-wide variety of match types
-Little to no censorship. They say shit and bitch without getting bleeped, they allow more sexualized characters, they allow blood

It's a TV show where conflicts are decided in wrestling matches

It's easily the best weekly wrestling show since the heyday of Hardcore TV.

Think of it like AAA lucha crossed with ECW, the first Mortal Kombat film, a classic Bruce Lee movie, and a little Mexican soap opera thrown in for good measure

Thanks for the thorough response.

My attraction to it is as a stylized TV show, it doesn't take itself too seriously, except for the wrestling. It can be gimmicky, but most matches show some athleticism I haven't seen with other major products, WWE and TNA, specifically.

Not "taking itself too seriously" sounds unappealing to me.

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

Not "taking itself too seriously" sounds unappealing to me.

I often skip the interludes for the matches. If offers "stories" and motivations for each character, but there's a lot that can be skipped over. The matches themselves are what I pay attention to, and I don't feel I'm missing much.

famicommander

15 Year Member
You should give it about 6 episodes to see if it's really for you. That's the equivalent of two Raws or three Smackdowns (way less if you watch them without commercials).

Anybody who has ever enjoyed pro wrestling should give Lucha Underground a chance. Their roster is amazing, the booking is fantastic, the in-ring action is fantastic, and everyone there is fully committed to a character and a role.

and plus they do shit like this
tumblr_nop8zn0dWz1sbzhteo1_400.gif

tumblr_nzgekvJ95y1sbzhteo1_400.gif

tumblr_nsntb3w28Z1rofocqo1_500.gif

LeafyHomelyIberianmidwifetoad.gif

Lucha-ug-6-24-2015-gifs-001_009.gif

lucha5.gif

Aztec%20Warfare_zpsayrykc7k.gif

tumblr_ns9y7aAOKD1rofocqo1_500.0.gif