Oculus Rift Backers

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
yeah, if you waited more than 1 day to pre order, then you are waiting a long time for a headset. Take that extra time to save up for a good GPU.

I'm even more skeptical that Playstation VR can pull off something truly impressive with the PS4 hardware. Certainly not Gran Turismo level graphics.

I currently have a Titan X. Thinking about grabbing a Fury X also(thanks to DX12)... but going to hold off until I get a VR headset first. Want to see how the Titan alone handles things.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
The Titan X is major overkill for both headsets. Fury X would be a downgrade

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
The Titan X is major overkill for both headsets. Fury X would be a downgrade

I realize that, but apparently DirectX 12 has caused some changes(according to reviews/benchmarks). Some DX12 games performing exceptionally better with AMD cards(and vice versa). That and you can now mix & match multi AMD/nVidia cards on the same system w/ DX12. Yeah though... just want to see how gaming with these VR headsets goes first before deciding on a Fury mix or not.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
They are demoing at GameStop and windows stores now, just do a Google search to find which ones. I've got about 40 hours invested in this fucking time devourer now playing both vive and occulus games (thanks to revive we can play those shitty occulus exclusives now) and I would strongly reccomend demoing before buying. You'll quickly realize that seated experience gets boring quick, the only longevity in these headsets is 360 room scale and hand tracking, it's not even comparable. Movies aren't going to look great and non vr games aren't going to look great so buy it for what it is.

Last edited:

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
have you tried using older nVidia drivers? some driver ver. seem more stable than others for certain applications, from what I've read on random forum topics

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
They are demoing at GameStop and windows stores now, just do a Google search to find which ones. I've got about 40 hours invested in this fucking time devourer now playing both vive and occulus games (thanks to revive we can play those shitty occulus exclusives now) and I would strongly reccomend demoing before buying. You'll quickly realize that seated experience gets boring quick, the only longevity in these headsets is 360 room scale and hand tracking, it's not even comparable. Movies aren't going to look great and non vr games aren't going to look great so buy it for what it is.
checking now

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

disagree. I have no interest in standing or room scale yet.

Demo's are definitely needed. I dont think people will truly understand how awesome this shit is without a demo.

AMD does have some VR advantages with their current drivers and liquidVR, however you can manage with either card manufacturer right now. I wouldnt waste too much time diving into the nuances of the drivers. Get the card that you want, it will work. Latest drivers work.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
disagree. I have no interest in standing or room scale yet.

Demo's are definitely needed. I dont think people will truly understand how awesome this shit is without a demo.

AMD does have some VR advantages with their current drivers and liquidVR, however you can manage with either card manufacturer right now. I wouldnt waste too much time diving into the nuances of the drivers. Get the card that you want, it will work. Latest drivers work.

Have you played holopoint, hover Junkers or audioshield yet?

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Have you played holopoint, hover Junkers or audioshield yet?

yes. it's like playing a wii game in VR. i stand for some experiences, but i mostly sit and swivel. Maybe im lazy, but swivel is key.

The controllers are not a reason to get VR. It's waggle controls v2.0. Leapmotion is by far more immersive and interesting. It went from shoddy controls to finger precision with the last update. Pointing and swatting at things with wiimotes is only kinda cool. Seeing your hands in VR is very impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke7e-CiX_Q8

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
You're crazy, don't listen to this guy if you haven't tried vr yet.

Tried roomscale and still have more fun with seated/non-roomscale experiences/games. I am a huge racing/spaceship sim nut, so take this with a grain of salt, but I prefer my Rift CV1 playing Elite:Dangerous/Valkyrie and Project Cars over Audioshield or Hoverjunkers. I can't wait to see more interesting roomscale VR games soon however, maybe the current offerings aren't my style.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
I've yet to hear someone that hasn't already purchased an occulus headset say they don't enjoy roomscale, I can't help but think it's more of a defending your purchase type of deal unless you literally only bought it for racing. Hell Palmer himself called vr without using hand tracking "a shitty experience" and "not vr". I can't imagine someone playing budget cuts and not having their mind blown.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I'm trying to stay off of all VR threads and reddit. My VIVE isn't going to arrive until some time in May (maybe). Oculus won't be in till July...if that even happens.

Glad you're having a good time SudoShinji!

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I've yet to hear someone that hasn't already purchased an occulus headset say they don't enjoy roomscale, I can't help but think it's more of a defending your purchase type of deal unless you literally only bought it for racing. Hell Palmer himself called vr without using hand tracking "a shitty experience" and "not vr". I can't imagine someone playing budget cuts and not having their mind blown.

We are agreement in some respects. Hand tracking is far more immersive than VR wiimotes. see LeapMotion.

I am also playing different games. There is no need for waggle controls in any of the games I prefer to play in VR. I have been using VR for a long time, and there are nuances that I appreciate with the Oculus hardware. People will be happy either way, but it seems most people are getting a Vive because of the wait list.

I am most interested in things like "Fantastic Contraption" for room scale. The idea of a VR room scale "Incredible Machine"-type game sounds far more interesting than VR tennis and Turret games.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I agree with this completely.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If anyone needs me, I'm going to go spend a week at Yoshi's house.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Last edited:

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Sure that isn't fair... but then again, they're making you buy a "bundle" to receive it. You can't just buy the rift by itself. :spock:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
This was made clear months ago when the bundles were announced. Inventory was set aside for bundle purchases.
People are just now getting desperate enough to buy the bundles.

The launch has been a mess.

Onto a real topic,
What have people done with these cables? I feel like using ceiling hook or a coat rack so that the cable comes down rather than coiling up on the floor. Maybe just something that directs the cable off my desk would be better, but it has wrapped around my chair and leg on a few occasions.

Last edited:

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
This was made clear months ago when the bundles were announced. Inventory was set aside for bundle purchases.
People are just now getting desperate enough to buy the bundles.

The launch has been a mess.

Onto a real topic,
What have people done with these cables? I feel like using ceiling hook or a coat rack so that the cable comes down rather than coiling up on the floor. Maybe just something that directs the cable off my desk would be better, but it has wrapped around my chair and leg on a few occasions.

I would imagine something like a boom arm stand would work on the cheap for sit/stationary VR.

I'm curious myself as I've thought of a few ideas, but they aren't very practical in a residential location.

Most obvious choice if one had the time, resources, etc. would be to create a ceiling rail system with a retractable harness for cabling or even full body.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
I used the ends of bungee chords to rig something up,works well for some games and not as well for others. Also clipping the chords to the back belt loop helps tremendously.

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
I used the ends of bungee chords to rig something up,works well for some games and not as well for others. Also clipping the chords to the back belt loop helps tremendously.

This is a pretty awesome idea, I wasn't looking forward to creating/buying some sort of boom/bungee cord solution. And I love the Vive and roomscale, I'm glad I have a nearby friend who owns one to fool around with it, but I'm thinking I would like the touch controllers a little more. Just personal preference, we're all winning right now with two awesome options for VR, hopefully Oculus can jerryrig some workaround for good roomscale with a Touch controller + extra camera bundle.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
SudoShinji,

I just got an email from HTC letting me know to make sure my credit card is in order before they charge it. How long after this email did they ship your Vive?

Much appreciated,

stell