Nvidia/Google decide to shit on the NVidia Shield

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
My bro in law texted me yesterday to tell me he got a huge ad bar on his NVidia Shield. I looked at mine, mine was fine. Figured it had something to do with PiHole keeping shit-ads away. Told him to set up a PiHole post-haste.

This evening I went to watch some TV, lo and behold - my Shield looks like his now. The Nvidia forums are on fire with people complaining, as it's universally disliked, Amazon had to disable reviews on the shield because of "suspicious activity." Also the Android TV app on the Play Store has plummeted to 1 star reviews in one day lol. It completely sucks and looks hideous, and so far the only way to 'remove' the ads is to install a 3rd party launcher, which doesn't really remove them, it just hides all the crap.

Damn. The Shield was/is a pretty great little set top box. But if they are gonna start pulling this shit, it's time to find something else. Maybe a Pi4 set top box install or something.

Shawn

snkusa.com
The latest shield update is pretty horrible, but my biggest complaint is how large everything became. It's like the layout was designed for a telephone and not a living room TV/display. I used to be able to see rows of tabs, now it's like it's zoomed in way too close and much more tedious to navigate.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
The shield is still a thing? I thought that became the Nintender Switch. :lolz:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Yeah man, its still a really great streaming box. I even have the 2017 version, not the newer 2019 version and its still the best one out there. It just got shit on by the new AndroidTV update.