NOOB Alert: Supergun MAK Strike + PSU Questions (How the fuck do I connect this guys)

DracoBlade

Cham Cham's Banana
SO my Supergun MAK strike just arrived after a month of patience and I'm dying to play my MV1FS mobo butttt I think I missed something while researching. AKA How do I connect my Supergun Molex cables to the PSU(do I just unscrew bolts of PSU then connect to the ends of the molex cables under the screws?)

AND did I forget to order a power cable to connect to the PSU (I think I did)? I also ordered with US Adapter for 120V.

First (cause I'm still learning /it will make it easier) here's what I have/ordered:

Untitled-1_zps3cf58ijq.jpg

14341684_1274334532579520_2068743339_n_zpsnabuycqu.jpg
Supergun MAK Strike (W/ CPS2 Harness; not relevant)

14348723_1274334525912854_1339945212_n_zpsh17nllyb.jpg
Arcade PSU

14331051_1274334522579521_625747108_n_zpsu8zbu5jn.jpg
Molex Cables

I'm totally missing something here arent I? In every documented picture I've seen, the PSU had its own separate cables attaching off picture to the AC IN/L but mine did not come with it (because I was supposed to order it separately?). Also as a complete noob to this, like I mentioned above, what is the process of connecting the cable to the PSU's 5V, GNDs, etc. just so I don't fry myself or the mobo...

Help this hopeless fool out please!:scratch:

And, after reading like an idiot, would it honestly just be easier to buy a generic plugin PSU like this: http://arcadeforge.net/Supergun-MAK-Strike/5V-and-12V-PSU-for-Arcade-and-PiJamma::107.html

Last edited:

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
The vertical screw terminal on the left side of the Strike has corresponding connections to the PSU. Looks like you need to run some appropriate gauge (18awg?) wire between them.

There isn't a molex input on the Mak is there? Where did that cable come from?

Last edited:

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
sHkLkiz.jpg

DracoBlade

Cham Cham's Banana
The vertical screw terminal on the left side of the Strike has corresponding connections to the PSU. Looks like you need to run some appropriate gauge (18awg?) wire between them.

There isn't a molex input on the Mak is there? Where did that cable come from?

Yeah its next to the on/off switch right underneath the board. It came with the PSU I ordered from ArcadeForge.

I'm thinking of just cutting my losses on the cheap PSU and buying one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MGG6SC/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Does 12v/5v +- apparently but should I be cautious of anything with this one?

Beautiful.

But I think I'm missing a cable to connect from an outlet to the actual PSU :/ I though it would come with one?

Last edited:

gusmoney

10 Year Member
Yeah its next to the on/off switch right underneath the board.

So plug in your molex end there and use this video as a guide for the rest (don't mind the title):

You don't need to buy anything else but salvage a typical PC/Monitor power cable.

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
like this

gay.jpg

you can ignore the electrical tape. that's just pure paranoia on my part. The black wire I have going from FG to GND is because I get video interference with out the jumper. You don't need to do that unless you have the same issue.

Last edited:

DracoBlade

Cham Cham's Banana
Oh wow that explained everything! Thanks so much dude!
ATM I have no access to a PC power supply but I'll do this in the future with some old machines I have in storage off site.

For now though, for my purposes, could I theoretically just plug what I linked ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MGG6SC/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza ) into the MOLEX on the supergun? Would that suffice for power supply?

DracoBlade

Cham Cham's Banana
like this

View attachment 39222

you can ignore the electrical tape. that's just pure paranoia on my part. The black wire I have going from FG to GND is because I get video interference with out the jumper. You don't need to do that unless you have the same issue.

AH there's the exact visual! Thanks!

Mine only came with the picture above (for 5v/12V/GND). Am I missing the other three gauges/connectors to the AC In/L/GND?

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Oh wow that explained everything! Thanks so much dude!
ATM I have no access to a PC power supply but I'll do this in the future with some old machines I have in storage off site.

For now though, for my purposes, could I theoretically just plug what I linked ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MGG6SC/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza ) into the MOLEX on the supergun? Would that suffice for power supply?
looks like its only 2A. Most 1 slots need 3A I think. It'll probably work but wouldnt be ideal. I have the same exact setup as you. All you need is a regular 3 pin power cord. That's what the black, white and green wires are. All you gotta do is buy something like this https://www.amazon.com/Cables-03134-Universal-IEC320C13-Meters/dp/B00005113L/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1473733432&sr=8-3&keywords=power+cord chop the female end and wire the black cord to AC/L, the white wire to AC/N and the Green one to FG. Be really careful when cutting/wiring this thing up. I shorted one of these power supplies cause I didnt realize that my 3 wires had some bare wire. The metal wires touched and the thing went poof.
asdfasdf.jpg

edit: derp sorry i thought your last reply was in response to me. sorry.

Last edited:

DracoBlade

Cham Cham's Banana
Haha the idea of blowing anything up (not literally ofc) its terrifying after shelling out all the money on this setup but I do have an extra three prong I could slice up. Thanks for the help!

http://arcadeforge.net/Supergun-MAK-Strike/5V-and-12V-PSU-for-Arcade-and-PiJamma::107.html
It does seem like even arcade forge supports this 2a molex equivalent (Says in byline "works w/ 1 slot MVS") so for the sake of future google searches and noobs like me, this will more than likely work!

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Haha the idea of blowing anything up (not literally ofc) its terrifying after shelling out all the money on this setup but I do have an extra three prong I could slice up. Thanks for the help!

http://arcadeforge.net/Supergun-MAK-Strike/5V-and-12V-PSU-for-Arcade-and-PiJamma::107.html
It does seem like even arcade forge supports this 2a molex equivalent (Says in byline "works w/ 1 slot MVS") so for the sake of future google searches and noobs like me, this will more than likely work!

word. I used a 2A one for awhile when I blew up the first psu. It worked fine but it was a little light on the voltage. Good luck man I know how frustrating/confusing all this can be. Hope you have better luck than me with your MVS stuff.

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Maybe I should make a small PCB type supergun.

I honestly would of bought one from you way before arcadeforge. Not that I have anything against them... but takes 3 weeks+ for me to get stuff from them.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I honestly would of bought one from you way before arcadeforge. Not that I have anything against them... but takes 3 weeks+ for me to get stuff from them.
their superguns had some issues in the past, partly because they were not checked for issues properly before shipment. Mine is still working well and I've had a few exchanges with Jochen from arcadeforge via mail, seems to be a really cool guy and in this for the hobby... a JNX PCB GUN would be awesome though ;)

@OP&Jackafur: if you're worried about the exposed terminals, you could check if the wires can be soldered internally.

gusmoney

10 Year Member
That is an awesome solution xsq. I might do that for the PSU for my HAS SG.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
you just may need this :

Let me know if you don't manage to sort that out. You just pay for the shipping.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
That is an awesome solution xsq. I might do that for the PSU for my HAS SG.

How would you guys feel about a cover that goes over the terminals? The tricky part is that it would most likely need to be made for a specific power supply since they all have different dimensions.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
How would you guys feel about a cover that goes over the terminals? The tricky part is that it would most likely need to be made for a specific power supply since they all have different dimensions.

I'd be more happy with a DIY supergun PCB kit. :cool:

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
their superguns had some issues in the past, partly because they were not checked for issues properly before shipment. Mine is still working well and I've had a few exchanges with Jochen from arcadeforge via mail, seems to be a really cool guy and in this for the hobby... a JNX PCB GUN would be awesome though ;)

@OP&Jackafur: if you're worried about the exposed terminals, you could check if the wires can be soldered internally.

that's actually a really good idea. It would be a good excuse to bust out my hakko I never use to.

gusmoney

10 Year Member

I'm interested. Not sure how to overcome the size problem. Perhaps a complete enclosure where one removes the PSU from its metal coffin entirely?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
that's a good idea. I toyed with it before I hacked my PSU, but I never figured out how to attach such a thing... Maybe screw it to one of the GND terminals? Or fix it to the bottom? Make an extra hole in the metal?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
that's a good idea. I toyed with it before I hacked my PSU, but I never figured out how to attach such a thing... Maybe screw it to one of the GND terminals? Or fix it to the bottom? Make an extra hole in the metal?

It would use the holes already on the power supply. Most likely would use a female molex and have an onboard power switch. Still thinking about it, not much interest I think. They make power supplies already like that though.