No Audio on MV1-C (large pics)

jeffslot

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Hi guys,

My video is working great (RGB on PSONE), even my d-pad is AOK. I can't seem to get my audio going though (I had John_Smith do the +5 volt Audio mod for me - & it looks like he did a fine job). Any suggestions will be helpfull.

Mv1-C

img0189cq5.jpg

By classicvideogame at 2008-10-26

Back of psone screen

img0190sr3.jpg

By classicvideogame, shot with Canon PowerShot S400 at 2008-10-26

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Why is the cap next to the sound chip cut off? I'm certain that needs to be there.

jeffslot

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Hi, it is there, it is just on the other side of the board (same location). 'It was moved' to flatten the board.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You sure it's in the right way? What's that white wire going to the back?

jeffslot

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I was pretty carefully when doing this part of the mod. But I'll tell you what, I really want the sound to work, so I will put the cap back the right way & see what happens. Shouldn't take too long.

Jeff

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Also why is there a resistor missing above the chip?

On the PSOne screen, if you hook up the RGB lines to the monitor don't you also need to connect the audio to AUDIO L and R and not EXT? I thought some one said that before on another forum but I could be wrong.

Also keep in mind since there was a lot of soldering very close to the chip, depending on heat the chip could have fried.

jeffslot

Tarma's Gun Polisher
If you dont' see a resister it isn't missing, but just re-located to the other side of the board. I did move that cap back, didn't seem to make any difference.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
If you dont' see a resister it isn't missing, but just re-located to the other side of the board.

I don't see how that is possible (let alone why it was done): that's the serial data line to pin 6 of the DAC coming from pin 59 of GA3. It runs on parts side only, thare are no vias, just the 33ohm resistor in series with this line. From the pic I just see a small piece of wire seemingly bridging the sides of the resistor. Now I really want to see what this relocated resistor is doing.

jeffslot

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Hi,

I hope we are talking about where it says AC3 on the board. There was a cap there, that I relocated to the other side of the board to flatten it. I ended up using 1 wire on each side of the board, but have since returned it back to the parts side as mentioned by xian_xi. Is that what we are talking about? I'd love to clarify if that isn't what we are talking about. Thanks for your help.

Jeff

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
I'm talking about this:

There was a 33 ohm surface-mount resistor across A and B (like those other two at the sides) now replaced by a small piece of wire joining A and B. I don't see why this was done. Perhaps because the resistor was damaged by mistake? Anyway check if you have continuity from pin 59 of GA3 (the arrow) to pin 6 of the DAC (9480F). If you do, try hooking up the stereo channels (and ground) to a TV or a stereo receiver instead of that monitor. If you don't get any sound then the DAC probably got damaged by too much tinkering.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Another thing that doesn't look right to me is the wires soldered to the capacitor AC2 (upper left corner of 1st pic): where do they go?

jeffslot

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Ah, I see. I actually haven't touched those areas of the board. So I guess it was either that way when I got the board from john_smith or that was part of the mod he performed. It is looking like I'll never get working audio from this board :-( . Video on the other hand looks really good.

Jeff

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Can you snap some pics of the back of the PCB in the sound section? I don't know who this John_Smith guy is but the mods looks weird.

jeffslot

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Sure, I'll do that later tonight (I've got company now) - thanks again for all of your help.