Nioh "Is a Gateway" to a New Ninja Gaiden Game

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I really enjoyed Razor's Edge quite a bit. I'd take another game in the series any day.

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to Nioh quite a bit.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
They ARE working on the next NG, as they kept hinting around Yaiba's release, and there is a small chance it could be a PS4 exclusive (They stated that they have a number of PS4 exclusive games on the work, so it could be one of them).

LOVED Razor's Edge (most enjoyable out of the 3D NG games for me) and I would love to see an entry built upon a tweaked version of its gameplay. Keep it bloody as fuck.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I love Ninja Gaiden...all of even NG3 vanilla, but its my least favorite for sure. NG3RE is excellent, I like the difficulty but feel a bit too overpowered with the "rage" attacks. The NG series is the greatest ever, nothing comes close, NGB being the absolute best overall, the hit detection is superb, its a game on its own to one hit kill enemies, the missions are amazing and way more challenging. Would have a loved a NG+ on NGB.

How about the parry system on NG vanilla hurracaine pack before online updates? That's a missed opportunity to explore although I understand the reasons why they took it off.

Nioh looks cool, I've been playing lots of dark souls and truth be told I'm loving it so much I can't help but think of it as an extension of NGB on the higher difficultylevels, you can't just spam the shit, you gotta approach things with preparation, know what's waiting for you and have a plan of execution, I'm pumped, I hope that Nioh can blend the 2 styles together, it could be genius!

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
They ARE working on the next NG, as they kept hinting around Yaiba's release, and there is a small chance it could be a PS4 exclusive (They stated that they have a number of PS4 exclusive games on the work, so it could be one of them).

LOVED Razor's Edge (most enjoyable out of the 3D NG games for me) and I would love to see an entry built upon a tweaked version of its gameplay. Keep it bloody as fuck.

Yeah I remember some material for the next Ninja Gaiden game was visible in the background of an interview Yosuke Hayashi did for Yaiba NGZ, but that was clearly put on hold while they transitioned to Nioh, Hyrule Warriors, and who knows what else koei had them giving input on lol

NG3 Razor's Edge was awesome, but there were a lot of mechanics regarding the Steel on Bone tech that I missed from vanilla 3.

Hopefully, Team Ninja will deliver something great after winning back the masses with Nioh.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
They also once hinted for DoA6 around the time DoA5 was ported to PS4. After DoA5 and Razor's Edge, I was pretty content with Itagaki's departure from Team Ninja.

Off topic, but DoA5 on release was one of Team Ninja's finest releases, not just from gameplay view, but art direction as well. It basically borrowed many fine aspects from VF (realism, martial arts-focus, gameplay depth, balance) and added them to DoA's fun mechanics. The only thing that was holding it back for me was the dominance of females in its roster. DoA5 Ultimate still held up well, but things started going downhill after that point with the inclusion of Mari Rose. Neglecting to fix the PC version while continuously adding over-priced DLC costumes also left many fans frustrated. Adding Honoka and destructible clothes were the final nail on the coffin.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The NG series is the greatest ever, nothing comes close, NGB being the absolute best overall, the hit detection is superb, its a game on its own to one hit kill enemies, the missions are amazing and way more challenging.

Couldn't have put it better myself, though I love NGII just as much. Both are 60fps, which is a rare thing nowadays and was even rarer back then. Masterpieces.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Glad to see NG getting love here.

Those of us that played it back in the day and stuck with it...we knew all along.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Couldn't have put it better myself, though I love NGII just as much. Both are 60fps, which is a rare thing nowadays and was even rarer back then. Masterpieces.

NG2Sigma does run at 60FPS, so does NGS, however NGII vanilla doesn't but has an insane amount of enemies on screen at once, it's a skip frantic mess but the challenge is amazing. NG2S only has 4 or 5 enemies on screen at once making the game a whole lot easier, even in higher difficulties, it does provide and entertaining focused fight though. Ninja Gaiden Sigma also feels easier to me but I think the general consensus is that it's about the same degree of difficulty.

To play NG at its fullest all you need is Black but it's great playing them all, Sigma adds weapons and a cross guide like NG2 which is pretty useful. It's like the Dark Souls Cross on the left of the hud, just not as evolved. I think NG2S did get a better cross and so did NG3RE.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I didn't realize the ga e was out already so I went ahead and got it, just started playing...the walking is a bit men, they could have kept it like what they're used to. I didn't get to play the demo so I wasn't aware how much of a dark souls game this is, be wary of imminent clone, lol. I think it's gonna be great though, the button scheme is Ninja Gaiden in terms of combat, menu/euipment driven DS style.

The 2 baby things on the start screen turn me off, like Guts' naked little fairy buddy...Ugh. It's just nitpicking nuances, it's just a style preference I guess. To me NG was perfect, no silly crap, no shenanigans. Same for Dark Souls, just straight up, no cuteness, just pure agony wrapped in a class of its own.

I got to play Lords of the Fallen, another DS clone, wasn't to thrilled with the silly walk animation and how geeky the character feels. Tried to play Witcher 2 and wasn't too impressed, dunno, didn't like the camera control, its just too awkward for me, I will give it another go, it was a freebie, mind as well try. I will eventually play Witcher 3, waiting for it tone cheap, lol.

I usually don't get games on release but this one I've been eager to play so I just had to do it.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
I'm a big fan of the NG games, both the 8-bit ones and the newer series.

While I did beat vanilla NG3, I never got around to playing Razor's Edge. I assumed it was more of the same. Is it really that much better? If so, how?

As for NG2, I loved the Tests of Valor (too bad they took them out of Sigma). They were extremely hard, but sooo rewarding to complete. That game was damn near a masterpiece IMO, even if the frame rate did stutter at times (especially the endless stairway).

On that same note, if you're a fan of NG and haven't played it yet, I highly recommend Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. It's honestly what NG3 should have been. It plays very similarly with some very cool twists, like parrying instead of blocking, selective dismemberment, and ripping out cyborg spinal columns to regain health. Awesome stuff.

All that being said, I'm intrigued by Nioh.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
NG3RE is a much better game over vanilla, just download the free demo and feel the difference, the demo alone offers a decent challenge, be prepared, it's more difficult than vanilla.