Nintendo DS - Memory Cards?

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I've never owned a DS before but just bought one with some games for my gf for x-mas. I want to get her a memory card for it also but i'm not sure if it uses standard SD cards or microSD cards.
Which format does the DS use? Also, does it support SDHC(4GB+) or just standard SD?.. and if it does do SDHC, what's the most it can use.. 4GB? 8GB?.. Additionally, speed wise, should i look for something that's just Class 2 or would a Class 6 or faster work aswell?

thanks

ulasamosa

Astra Superstar
the games are a proprietary format. They look kinda like SD cards but they are not. You also do not need a mem card as any game capable of saving has a built in save on card feature.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
the games are a proprietary format. They look kinda like SD cards but they are not. You also do not need a mem card as any game capable of saving has a built in save on card feature.

why do they sell memory cards for the DS then? i've looked it up some more and see that there's all kinds of sites selling microSD & microSDHC cards for the DS. hmm... i guess then these memory cards are meant for something more then to just save games... :spock:

ulasamosa

Astra Superstar
why do they sell memory cards for the DS then? i've looked it up some more and see that there's all kinds of sites selling microSD & microSDHC cards for the DS. hmm... i guess then these memory cards are meant for something more then to just save games... :spock:

yea there are quite a few "multimedia" devices for DS. To allow mp3, mp4, video playback and whatnot, but all 100% of people use them for is a gateway to load up homebrew stuff and teh romz.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
CycloDS Evolution with a big-enough MicroSD card should be just fine. 1GB and up should be a good size.

SORHP

n00b
i concur, I have 2 cyclods evolutions, 4gb and 8gb micro sdhc cards and they work great, emulators, music, the works, i never take them out of the ds for anything else

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
I have friends that own The Edge, usually with a 4GB micro. It tends to hold around 75 DS games from what I have seen. There are other applications out there as well but that is what I see it getting used for the most.

I don't own one but they are pretty simple to set up and use.