Ninja Scroll : Is it excellent?

Cranky

Dodgeball Yakuza
i've asked a lot of people and they loved it. how bout y'all? im thinking of saving and buying the DVD set. opinions please.

thanks.

slerch666

updyke,
Movie- Yes

TV series... jury is still out.

Just so you know, if you are looking at a full TV set subbed in English, it's likely a bootleg. There are 2 regions the TV series is released or being released on DVD. That would be Japan and US/Canada. If memory serves me, the JPN release has not occurred yet, so if you buy a bootleg, it's probably copied from TV *shudder* and then slapped on a DVD.

A-Train

Quiz Detective
20 Year Member
I thought the movie had great animation, but the story was pretty weak. Overall, I think it's worth seeing at least once, but it's not the greatest anime movie ever, like some folks make it out to be.

Shinji

Gai's Trainer
Hmm, demon rape.

The movie is great, I love it, and am happy I own it. I really love the fight scene in the woods(man, that was badass) and the ending is really sad.

But yeah, don't watch this with your children (I got it for free because my friend didn't want his little brother to pop it in, and see the demon rapage. :D )

Shinji

Gai's Trainer
slerch666 said:
Movie- Yes

TV series... jury is still out.

Just so you know, if you are looking at a full TV set subbed in English, it's likely a bootleg. There are 2 regions the TV series is released or being released on DVD. That would be Japan and US/Canada. If memory serves me, the JPN release has not occurred yet, so if you buy a bootleg, it's probably copied from TV *shudder* and then slapped on a DVD.

Best way to avoid the crappy subtitles that occur in the bootlegs, is buy the fansubs, or download then. All the fansubs I own are on VHS, so look for them.

FormlessOne

Chin's Drinking Partner
Quite possibly one of my favorite anime movies of all time. I'd really like to check out that series though. :glee:

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Same character designer as Samurai Spirits I do believe...

The 'Kafuin Nikochin' character is 100% the same.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
The movie had cliches out the butt, yet it pulled everyone off of them with an incredible amount of finesse. That's what's awesome about the Ninja Scroll movie. If you weren't impressed with the flash and the attitude, or the slightest bit moved by part of the ending, something is wrong with your humanity.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
No, it sucks ass. Ninjas, demons, an old man that looks like Nicotine. How could that be any good.

buster_broon

The Rock,
i really like it - good to see some sam spirits 2 references

even the blind guy looks like ukyo

but to be honest even though they are poles apart in terms of what they try to achieve Spirited away is by far the best anime i have ever seen

just gob smacked by the whole package - much better than laputa which was superb as well

Cranky

Dodgeball Yakuza
so it'll be better if get the movie first before considering the series?

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Ninja Scroll is one of my favorite animes, it's up there with Vampire Hunter D, Ghost in the Shell, Armatige Dual Matrix, & Spirited Away.

Avoid Ninja Resurrection though, it's complete garbage.

Odysseus

Sakura's Bank Manager
The TV series isn't quite good as the Movie.
See it first and buy it later if you really like , that's my opinion.

:)

slerch666

updyke,
Magician said:

Avoid Ninja Resurrection though, it's complete garbage.

And had NOTHING to do with Ninja Scroll. One character in Resurrection had the name Jubei and whoever released it attempted to cash in on the Ninja Scroll craze. They also got into trouble for it and had to remove the "sequel to Ninja Scroll" reference, as it wasn't even done by Mad House if I remember correctly.

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
Uh, hello? Do I even have to mention that the characters in this movie were done by the designers of Samurai Shodown. You are not a true Neo fan if you don't like this movie.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
i only like it cuz of the samurai shodown influences.

otherwise its just a stupid cartoon.

oh yeah, reasons its cool:

that old man IS caffiene nicotine.
the blind dude that gets his ass owned resembles ukyo.
the dude with the bees in him resembles gen-an.
some bitch is thrown into the mix just so she can get raped a couple times.
main character was kinda cool but too goofy.
some badass rock dude looks cool and has a cool weapon.
some clan leader dude barks out orders while he pounds some slut in the ass.

i think that pretty much sums it up. basically the reason why i hate anime cuz this move is "the bester ever omg!!!!" when all that really happens is some guy kills a bunch of other guys and its cool i guess. guess its why all the dbz nerds like it cuz OMG IT SO KOLL LOOK ALL THE BLOOD IN THE TOONS SEX OMFG! :eek:

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I heard the guy who did this series, also designed the characters in SSI and II, and the LB characters.

Can anyone confirm this?

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
the roker said:
I heard the guy who did this series, also designed the characters in SSI and II, and the LB characters.

Can anyone confirm this?

I don't know about the Last Blade characters, but it's the same designer as the Samurai series.

There was a topic about this quite a few months ago, try doing a search in Unrelated. You should be able to find more information about it there.