Ninja Masters MVS cart sound issues

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
I've finally got a copy of this game. It's in great condition but it sounds like sound is only coming out of one channel, there is also some distortion and a little clicking in the audio.

I've cleaned the connectors. All my other carts work no issues on the mobo+supergun I have set up.

It all looks legit when I looked at the boards but when I compared it to MVS-Scans it looks like I might have boards from 2 different sets.
My board 1 is SET 2 - it has the 4 large chips starting with 217.
My board 2 is SET 3 - it has the 10 large chips marked with Toshiba.

I am guessing this is the issue but any and all opinions welcome. I got this from a reputable arcade operator so can easily return it but would hate to start another hunt for this cart if it is a simple clean if it's an undocumented set.

Thanks.

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
Anyone have any info on this. I've had people tell me it shouldn't be an issue and others say it is. Anyone?

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Check the boards for dry/cracked solder joints, specifically the M1 chip and possibly the V chips. I've had sound issues quickly resolved by simply reflowing the M1 chip.

See specifically the "MVS Cart Fix" and "MVS Carts" guides under Neo Geo on Jamma Nation X for more details:
http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/tutorials.html

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
Check the boards for dry/cracked solder joints, specifically the M1 chip and possibly the V chips. I've had sound issues quickly resolved by simply reflowing the M1 chip.

See specifically the "MVS Cart Fix" and "MVS Carts" guides under Neo Geo on Jamma Nation X for more details:
http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/tutorials.html

So it shouldn't matter that the 2 boards are from different sets?
I checked out the guides. The solder looks great all round. I did notice some slight discoloration, perhaps a glue (not sticky) under the C1, C3 and C5 chip. That's the only thing that stood out.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
The boards won't matter. They all use the same code, just different manufacturers of the mask roms.

The PCM can be debugged with a logic probe and so can the V/M roms quite often, but it's not the best method.
To be sure your roms are good you need to pull and verify them against the MAME set.

The CRC check only verifies the P roms.

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
check the PROGBK1 for bad traces from the VROMS or for hairline cracks in the PCB.If you have a spare PROGBK1 board you could just swap boards but make sure jumpers and components match up.
BB

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
Thanks for the info guys. I've just wrapped, boxed and sent it back. Luckily he's got another and it's going to be swapped over.