Ninja Combat owners: is the game worth owning?

ifkz

n00b
2015 has me buying a few AES games again, and I keep coming back to adding Ninja Combat to my library of games. I have watched a few youtube videos and I have read written reviews. I still can't make up my mind.

From owners of the game: do you like it, or is it a dust collector next to some of the later beat-em-ups like Robo Army, Burning Fight, and Mutation Nation?

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I bought it. I played it a couple times. I sold it.

I don't think it's worth keeping around with so many better Neo Geo games out there. I'd much rather play the three beat-em-ups you mentioned, Sengoku 3, or practically any other Neo game.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If you can find it for $20, sure. Otherwise, buy something else.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Ninja Combat is decent, I enjoy playing it from time to time. It's the cheapest AES beat em up these days, behind Sengoku, which isn't as good.

Honestly I don't see how the early Neo beat em ups are so much worse than the supposedly better beat em ups of the day. They are very similar in design and have a unifying lack of features common to early beat em ups.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Honestly I don't see how the early Neo beat em ups are so much worse than the supposedly better beat em ups of the day. They are very similar in design and have a unifying lack of features common to early beat em ups.

While certain games get more flak then they deserve (Ninja Combat), Neo Geo beat 'em ups were far behind the curve compared to their peers.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I'm not necessarily saying they're bad.

Look at the beat 'em ups from other companies in 1993.

Everything the Neo Geo had by 1993 was designed (and looked) like it came from 1990.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
I got Ninja Combat for my AES, It's not bad. Nice to throw in when I want to play a beat em up I haven't played more times than I can count already. But if as you mention, compared them to Burning Fight, Mutation Nation, or Robo Army, I'd take any of those 3 over it without even thinking. Problem is, as far as AES goes, those games have spiked to completely insane prices compared to Ninja Combat. Shame, too. I'd LOVE to have all 3 of those in my AES library, but there's just no way I'm paying the current going prices.

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Its worth the $25 I paid for the MVS cart. Nothing spectacular but decent enough to play through every now and then.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Tried it but nothing to write home about. If it's too expensive, go for a different game.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Moderately bad then? It's definitely off, which makes an already very difficult game that much more frustrating.

Well, the hit box for your attacks are a little funky.

At least with Musashi, it consistently reaches slightly below your attack, so if you stay on a higher plane you'll be safe.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I own it and I wouldn't really recommend it. I've probably only played it two or three times in the four years I have owned it. If you want a game to play your money would be better spent elsewhere.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Moderately bad then? It's definitely off, which makes an already very difficult game that much more frustrating.

You don't use the found weapons in Ninja Combat. Always the stars.

I've got fond feelings towards the game as it was the first ever Neo Geo game I played back when it was released. I can understand the comparatives to more recent brawlers on the system and in general. I'd get it if you can find it cheap.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
You don't use the found weapons in Ninja Combat. Always the stars.

Bingo, I realized that very quickly. Sucks because there are a bunch of different weapons and they look awesome.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Playing Ninja Combat makes me want to play Gang Wars instead. If I didn't know any better, I could be lead to think that Ninja Combat was well into the development phase before it was shifted to the Neo Platform. Look at the two side by side and you'll understand what I mean. Oh and Gang Wars has some cool death scenes too.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
You don't use Joe. Always Musashi.

Well, after stage one that is. But yes the weapons are bad.

Really? I've always used Joe as I have found I use the somersault attack often. The stars at full level seem to hold most bosses and enemies at bay.

I trust your judgement though, any techniques for Musashi? Have you been able to 1CC the game?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Really? I've always used Joe as I have found I use the somersault attack often. The stars at full level seem to hold most bosses and enemies at bay.

I trust your judgement though, any techniques for Musashi? Have you been able to 1CC the game?

Musashi has a cartwheel attack. It's just as effective. I've gotten as far as stage 5, but I've never put extreme time into the game.

Techniques? Attacking early and from a higher plane, cart wheel attacking at the appropriate times, using charge moves at the appropriate times, milking the archers to get extends quicker, memorization.

@Kid Panda, I want to play Gang Wars now.

Last edited:

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
For me Ninja Combat is like the "runt" of the beat'em up pack. I won't tell you not to buy it, but I will tell you to put at the bottom of your list.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I think the game is fun, and has some cool early 90's flavor. I wouldn't spend too much on it, though. I got my copy locally, on Craigslist for $20 (MVS). I don't think I'd spend much more than that.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The intro is fun. After that, not so much.